Re: [NTO] DOS versions of Win names

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 22, 2008
      If you put the path in double quotes such as:

      START /MAX "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe"

      It should work. Double quotes allows for working with files and
      directories with spaces in their names.

      Larry Hamilton
      Kairos Computer Solutions
      http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
      Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

      Mike Breiding wrote:
      > Below is a batch file I have written.
      > If written properly it will open Thunderbird and then xcopy the
      > Thunderbird profiles to the specified drive.
      >
      > Here is where I am having trouble.
      > thunderbird.exe is in the subdirectory of "Mozilla Thunderbird"
      > Firefox is contained the subdirectoy "Mozilla Firefox"
      >
      > How do I abbreviate the Thunderbird subdir so it is unique from the
      > Firefox subdir?
      > Currently if I use "Mozill~1" it abbrevaites for either Tbird of Fire Fox
      > -Mike
      >

      > START /MAX C:\Progra~1\Mozill~1\thunderbird.exe
      > xcopy c:\docume~1\MB\Applic~1\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\fbdot42s.default
      > E:\tbird /s/d/e/a/r/y
      > exit
    • Mike Breiding
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 22, 2008
        Greg Chapman wrote:
        > Hi Mike,
        >
        > On 22 Mar 08 14:43 Mike Breiding <mike@...> said:
        >
        >> How do I abbreviate the Thunderbird subdir so it is unique from the
        >> Firefox subdir?
        >> Currently if I use "Mozill~1" it abbrevaites for either Tbird of
        >> Fire Fox
        >>

        > I may have misunderstood, but you can always detect the 8.3 version of
        > a file name by using:
        >
        > DIR /X
        >
        > at the command prompt. Should give you the info you need for the batch
        > file. Greg
        Hi Greg,

        Got the needed 8.3 name using that switch.
        Thanks,
        -Mike
      • Mike Breiding
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 22, 2008
          Axel Berger wrote:
          > Mike Breiding wrote:
          >
          >> How do I abbreviate the Thunderbird subdir
          >>

          > Don't abbreviate at all and put the whole path string in quotes. Works
          > in my flavour of DOS, 7.0 i.e. the one coming with W98. Axel
          When I use:
          ~~~~~~~~
          xcopy c:\docume~1\MB\Applic~1\Thunde~1 E:\tbird /s/d/e/a/r/y
          START /MAX "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe"
          ~~~~~~
          The xcopy runs but then I get a maximised DOS box with this promt:
          C:\Documents and Settings\MB\Desktop\

          Thunderbird does not launch.

          If I use:
          ~~~~
          xcopy c:\docume~1\MB\Applic~1\Thunde~1 E:\tbird /s/d/e/a/r/y
          START /MAX C:\Progra~1\Mozill~2\thunde~1.exe
          ~~~~

          Xcopy runs and then Tbird is launched properly.

          Thanks to all.
          -Mike

          exit
        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 22, 2008
            > Currently if I use "Mozill~1" it abbrevaites for either Tbird of Fire Fox

            Are you sure? Mozill~1 should be the short name for the first directory
            created with Mozill at the beginning of its name. Mozill~2 will be the
            second, etc.

            These are not abbreviations, they are short names attached to the directory
            entries, and they are not dynamic.

            However, two different computers may well have different short names,
            depending on the order in which the directories were created.

            But, I doubt that you need to abbreviate anyway. Certainly, the start
            statement will take a full path name. If it has spaces in it, put double
            quotes around it.

            > START /MAX "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\Thunderbird.exe"

            AFAIK, xcopy also allows quoted long file names.

            Regards, Dave S

            > If written properly it will open Thunderbird and then xcopy the
            > Thunderbird profiles to the specified drive.
            >
            > Here is where I am having trouble.
            > thunderbird.exe is in the subdirectory of "Mozilla Thunderbird"
            > Firefox is contained the subdirectoy "Mozilla Firefox"
            >
            > How do I abbreviate the Thunderbird subdir so it is unique from the
            > Firefox subdir?
            > Currently if I use "Mozill~1" it abbrevaites for either Tbird of Fire Fox
            > -Mike
            >

            > START /MAX C:\Progra~1\Mozill~1\thunderbird.exe
            > xcopy c:\docume~1\MB\Applic~1\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\fbdot42s.default
            > E:\tbird /s/d/e/a/r/y
            > exit

          • Mike Breiding
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 23, 2008
              David Smart wrote:
              >> Currently if I use "Mozill~1" it abbrevaites for either Tbird of Fire Fox
              >>

              > Are you sure? Mozill~1 should be the short name for the first directory
              > created with Mozill at the beginning of its name. Mozill~2 will be the
              > second, etc.
              My mistake.
              What I meant to say was if I used Mozill~1 *I* could not tell which
              subdir it would be pointing too.
              This was before I was shown the obvious by using the X switch for DIR as
              suggested by Greg.

              Thanks,
              -Mike
            • David Smart
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 23, 2008
                Fair enough. However, just use the full names (with quotes if necessary)
                and there won't be any question.

                Regards, Dave S