Re: [NTO] DOS versions of Win names

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 22, 2008
      Mike Breiding wrote:
      > How do I abbreviate the Thunderbird subdir

      Don't abbreviate at all and put the whole path string in quotes. Works
      in my flavour of DOS, 7.0 i.e. the one coming with W98.

      Axel
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 22, 2008
        If you put the path in double quotes such as:

        START /MAX "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe"

        It should work. Double quotes allows for working with files and
        directories with spaces in their names.

        Larry Hamilton
        Kairos Computer Solutions
        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
        Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

        Mike Breiding wrote:
        > Below is a batch file I have written.
        > If written properly it will open Thunderbird and then xcopy the
        > Thunderbird profiles to the specified drive.
        >
        > Here is where I am having trouble.
        > thunderbird.exe is in the subdirectory of "Mozilla Thunderbird"
        > Firefox is contained the subdirectoy "Mozilla Firefox"
        >
        > How do I abbreviate the Thunderbird subdir so it is unique from the
        > Firefox subdir?
        > Currently if I use "Mozill~1" it abbrevaites for either Tbird of Fire Fox
        > -Mike
        >

        > START /MAX C:\Progra~1\Mozill~1\thunderbird.exe
        > xcopy c:\docume~1\MB\Applic~1\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\fbdot42s.default
        > E:\tbird /s/d/e/a/r/y
        > exit
      • Mike Breiding
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 22, 2008
          Greg Chapman wrote:
          > Hi Mike,
          >
          > On 22 Mar 08 14:43 Mike Breiding <mike@...> said:
          >
          >> How do I abbreviate the Thunderbird subdir so it is unique from the
          >> Firefox subdir?
          >> Currently if I use "Mozill~1" it abbrevaites for either Tbird of
          >> Fire Fox
          >>

          > I may have misunderstood, but you can always detect the 8.3 version of
          > a file name by using:
          >
          > DIR /X
          >
          > at the command prompt. Should give you the info you need for the batch
          > file. Greg
          Hi Greg,

          Got the needed 8.3 name using that switch.
          Thanks,
          -Mike
        • Mike Breiding
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 22, 2008
            Axel Berger wrote:
            > Mike Breiding wrote:
            >
            >> How do I abbreviate the Thunderbird subdir
            >>

            > Don't abbreviate at all and put the whole path string in quotes. Works
            > in my flavour of DOS, 7.0 i.e. the one coming with W98. Axel
            When I use:
            ~~~~~~~~
            xcopy c:\docume~1\MB\Applic~1\Thunde~1 E:\tbird /s/d/e/a/r/y
            START /MAX "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe"
            ~~~~~~
            The xcopy runs but then I get a maximised DOS box with this promt:
            C:\Documents and Settings\MB\Desktop\

            Thunderbird does not launch.

            If I use:
            ~~~~
            xcopy c:\docume~1\MB\Applic~1\Thunde~1 E:\tbird /s/d/e/a/r/y
            START /MAX C:\Progra~1\Mozill~2\thunde~1.exe
            ~~~~

            Xcopy runs and then Tbird is launched properly.

            Thanks to all.
            -Mike

            exit
          • David Smart
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 22, 2008
              > Currently if I use "Mozill~1" it abbrevaites for either Tbird of Fire Fox

              Are you sure? Mozill~1 should be the short name for the first directory
              created with Mozill at the beginning of its name. Mozill~2 will be the
              second, etc.

              These are not abbreviations, they are short names attached to the directory
              entries, and they are not dynamic.

              However, two different computers may well have different short names,
              depending on the order in which the directories were created.

              But, I doubt that you need to abbreviate anyway. Certainly, the start
              statement will take a full path name. If it has spaces in it, put double
              quotes around it.

              > START /MAX "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\Thunderbird.exe"

              AFAIK, xcopy also allows quoted long file names.

              Regards, Dave S

              > If written properly it will open Thunderbird and then xcopy the
              > Thunderbird profiles to the specified drive.
              >
              > Here is where I am having trouble.
              > thunderbird.exe is in the subdirectory of "Mozilla Thunderbird"
              > Firefox is contained the subdirectoy "Mozilla Firefox"
              >
              > How do I abbreviate the Thunderbird subdir so it is unique from the
              > Firefox subdir?
              > Currently if I use "Mozill~1" it abbrevaites for either Tbird of Fire Fox
              > -Mike
              >

              > START /MAX C:\Progra~1\Mozill~1\thunderbird.exe
              > xcopy c:\docume~1\MB\Applic~1\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\fbdot42s.default
              > E:\tbird /s/d/e/a/r/y
              > exit

            • Mike Breiding
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 23, 2008
                David Smart wrote:
                >> Currently if I use "Mozill~1" it abbrevaites for either Tbird of Fire Fox
                >>

                > Are you sure? Mozill~1 should be the short name for the first directory
                > created with Mozill at the beginning of its name. Mozill~2 will be the
                > second, etc.
                My mistake.
                What I meant to say was if I used Mozill~1 *I* could not tell which
                subdir it would be pointing too.
                This was before I was shown the obvious by using the X switch for DIR as
                suggested by Greg.

                Thanks,
                -Mike
              • David Smart
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 23, 2008
                  Fair enough. However, just use the full names (with quotes if necessary)
                  and there won't be any question.

                  Regards, Dave S