Re: [NTO] shopping cart question

  • K B
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2008
      Hi Don,

      I use Ubercart with Drupal for my shopping cart needs. I have never
      set it up in the manner which you speak of, but Drupal is famous for
      it's fine grained user roles.

      Karen

      http://drupal.org/

      http://www.ubercart.org/

      On Feb 11, 2008 1:20 PM, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@...> wrote:

      > Okay, this is really off topic ...
      >
      > I have used oscommerce or zen cart on many occasions. I am trying to
      > find an affordable solution that will create a shopping cart that shows
      > a category or cart only to certain customers.
      >
      > If Frank logs in he may only see my "frank items".
      >
      > If John logs in he may only see my "john items".
      >
      > If Tim logs in he may see both the "frank" and "john" items.
      >
      > In other words each user could be assigned categories that he/she may
      > see in the overall available catalog.
      >
      > I have spent several hours on google trying to find something that would
      > do this type of thing, having not found it, I hope maybe someone in the
      > collective knowledge base her has a suggestion.
      >
      > Thanks for giving it some thought!

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2008
        K B wrote:
        > Hi Don,
        >
        > I use Ubercart with Drupal for my shopping cart needs. I have never
        > set it up in the manner which you speak of, but Drupal is famous for
        > it's fine grained user roles.
        >
        > Karen
        >
        > http://drupal.org/
        >
        > http://www.ubercart.org/

        I was looking at Ubercart this morning and trying to understand if it
        might do this. I am not sure if I have installed Drupal or not, I think
        I have somewhere along the way. I have tended to really like WordPress
        for CMS issues. I guess I wasn't sure what all was involved when I
        really just need the cart and not cms in this instance. Can it run free
        of drupal?

        I do not believe that there is a mailing list in answer to sister, there
        is a forum and I have posted over there to see what I find out. There
        was a similar question asked in November with no response. Part of my
        problem is that my question may need a group of all cart users, not a
        particular cart, or something like that.

        While I am off topic we often hear people ask if we should go to a forum
        for NT, but frankly I think while you may make history harder to find,
        you do gain reminders and involvement of people more often in
      • K B
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2008
          Ubercart runs as a module in Drupal. In this case you would only
          enable the features in Drupal you needed, such as user permissions.
          What you are looking at could be somewhat complex, what isn't these
          days, but I would consider a basic Drupal install with a simple
          shopping cart to be comparable with a stand alone system. Of course if
          you wanted to run wordpress alongside there would be redundancies.

          Karen