shopping cart question

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11 10:20 AM
      Okay, this is really off topic ...

      I have used oscommerce or zen cart on many occasions. I am trying to
      find an affordable solution that will create a shopping cart that shows
      a category or cart only to certain customers.

      If Frank logs in he may only see my "frank items".

      If John logs in he may only see my "john items".

      If Tim logs in he may see both the "frank" and "john" items.

      In other words each user could be assigned categories that he/she may
      see in the overall available catalog.

      I have spent several hours on google trying to find something that would
      do this type of thing, having not found it, I hope maybe someone in the
      collective knowledge base her has a suggestion.

      Thanks for giving it some thought!
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11 10:49 AM
        Does Zen Cart have a mailing list? Maybe if you ask there someone
        could help? You might even be able to find a php guru who could add
        the necessary code to do that.

        This guy is a wizard - http://www.davidcdalton.com/ - but he might be
        too busy to help you out. He does some of the finest stuff out there
        but he's not cheap. Tell him Sister sent you. ;)

        --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

        > Okay, this is really off topic ...
        >
        > I have used oscommerce or zen cart on many occasions. I am trying to
        >
        > find an affordable solution that will create a shopping cart that
        > shows
        > a category or cart only to certain customers.
        >
        > If Frank logs in he may only see my "frank items".
        >
        > If John logs in he may only see my "john items".
        >
        > If Tim logs in he may see both the "frank" and "john" items.
        >
        > In other words each user could be assigned categories that he/she may
        >
        > see in the overall available catalog.
        >
        > I have spent several hours on google trying to find something that
        > would
        > do this type of thing, having not found it, I hope maybe someone in
        > the
        > collective knowledge base her has a suggestion.
        >
        > Thanks for giving it some thought!

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • K B
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11 10:49 AM
          Hi Don,

          I use Ubercart with Drupal for my shopping cart needs. I have never
          set it up in the manner which you speak of, but Drupal is famous for
          it's fine grained user roles.

          Karen

          http://drupal.org/

          http://www.ubercart.org/

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11 11:00 AM
            K B wrote:
            > Hi Don,
            >
            > I use Ubercart with Drupal for my shopping cart needs. I have never
            > set it up in the manner which you speak of, but Drupal is famous for
            > it's fine grained user roles.
            >
            > Karen
            >
            > http://drupal.org/
            >
            > http://www.ubercart.org/

            I was looking at Ubercart this morning and trying to understand if it
            might do this. I am not sure if I have installed Drupal or not, I think
            I have somewhere along the way. I have tended to really like WordPress
            for CMS issues. I guess I wasn't sure what all was involved when I
            really just need the cart and not cms in this instance. Can it run free
            of drupal?

            I do not believe that there is a mailing list in answer to sister, there
            is a forum and I have posted over there to see what I find out. There
            was a similar question asked in November with no response. Part of my
            problem is that my question may need a group of all cart users, not a
            particular cart, or something like that.

            While I am off topic we often hear people ask if we should go to a forum
            for NT, but frankly I think while you may make history harder to find,
            you do gain reminders and involvement of people more often in
          • K B
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 11 11:17 AM
              Ubercart runs as a module in Drupal. In this case you would only
              enable the features in Drupal you needed, such as user permissions.
              What you are looking at could be somewhat complex, what isn't these
              days, but I would consider a basic Drupal install with a simple
              shopping cart to be comparable with a stand alone system. Of course if
              you wanted to run wordpress alongside there would be redundancies.

              Karen