Text Messaging or IM to Many Users

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2008
      To All,

      An astronomy club I am in would like to alert its members about
      hard-to-forecast short-duration events such as aurora outbursts and rapidly
      changing meteor shower intensities. We would like to provide this alert
      service free of charge for our members and my guess is that we will have about
      200-250 participants who will give us their cell phone numbers. We already
      have email addresses for most of these people.

      I have no experience broadcasting instant messages to multiple recipients,
      therefore, I would much appreciate basic info on how to set up such a service.

      We are based in the northeast U.S., and I suspect service details may vary by
      region. Please help get me started or tell me of another source for this kind
      of info.

      Thank you,

      Ray Shapp
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2008
        Hi ray
        is this what you mean http://www.textmarks.com/info/help/#hlpCreate
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > An astronomy club I am in would like to alert its members about
        > hard-to-forecast short-duration events such as aurora outbursts and
        > rapidly
        > changing meteor shower intensities. We would like to provide this alert
        > service free of charge for our members and my guess is that we will have
        > about
        > 200-250 participants who will give us their cell phone numbers. We
        > already
        > have email addresses for most of these people.
        >
        > I have no experience broadcasting instant messages to multiple recipients,
        > therefore, I would much appreciate basic info on how to set up such a
        > service.
        >
        > We are based in the northeast U.S., and I suspect service details may vary
        > by
        > region. Please help get me started or tell me of another source for this
        > kind
        > of info.
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Ray Shapp
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2008
          Hi Dave,

          Many thanks for the links you provided here on the OT group as well as on the
          HTML group. They are exactly what I was looking for.

          Ray Shapp