Re: [NTO] Reply to Marco

  • Red Leader
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2000
      phil wrote:

      > I do not know how to "define" fonts for other type machines, but I will see
      > what I can find out.

      Here's the syntax for providing multiple options for fonts. This is a
      good idea as Linux users, as well as Mac users, use different names for
      basically the same fonts.

      <FONT face="arial, helvetica">

      All you do is separate the font names with commas. Use quotes to
      surround the list, not each name, e.g..

      <FONT face="arial, helvetica"> NOT <FONT face="arial","helvetica">

      Also, if you want to get rid of the FreeBSD devil and the smiley face
      and still indent each paragraph, there are two ways to do it. One is to
      use   several times. (5 or 6) It makes the code look a little
      clunkey but it also always works. Another option is to use an invisible
      gif. Check out http://www.dsiegel.com/tips/wonk5/single.html for
      details.

      BTW, I admire anyone who writes their pages by hand. Keep up the good
      work. I just finished re-writing a site that FrontPage had mauled and
      I'm thoroughly disgusted with that program. The code it puts out is
      abominable.

      <><
      Emmett Hawkins
    • phil
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 19, 2000
        Hey, boy this is getting to be fun. Thanks for that tip on the fonts. I
        will take care
        of it.

        I have about decided to put some thumbnail pics I have in place of the
        Smiley Et Al.

        Just so I don't slow my site down.

        There are thousands of LARGE flower and veg pics around. The trick is to
        find
        SMALL and FREE ones.

        I will check the Invisible one too. That sounds good. I had put a bunch of
        &nsbp; things in, but thought it looked tacky.

        Time will tell which looks best.

        Thanks to you all. This is really appreciated.

        Phil E.

        > > I do not know how to "define" fonts for other type machines, but I will
        see
        > > what I can find out.
        >
        > Here's the syntax for providing multiple options for fonts. This is a
        > good idea as Linux users, as well as Mac users, use different names for
        > basically the same fonts.
        >
        > <FONT face="arial, helvetica">
        >
        > All you do is separate the font names with commas. Use quotes to
        > surround the list, not each name, e.g..
        >
        > <FONT face="arial, helvetica"> NOT <FONT face="arial","helvetica">
        >
        > Also, if you want to get rid of the FreeBSD devil and the smiley face
        > and still indent each paragraph, there are two ways to do it. One is to
        > use   several times. (5 or 6) It makes the code look a little
        > clunkey but it also always works. Another option is to use an invisible
        > gif. Check out http://www.dsiegel.com/tips/wonk5/single.html for
        > details.
        >
        > BTW, I admire anyone who writes their pages by hand. Keep up the good
        > work. I just finished re-writing a site that FrontPage had mauled and
        > I'm thoroughly disgusted with that program. The code it puts out is
        > abominable.
        >
        > <><
        > Emmett Hawkins

      • Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 20, 2000

          Alle 18.25 Saturday 19/08/2000 -0700, phil ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

          >I have about decided to put some thumbnail pics I have in place of the
          >Smiley Et Al.

          Broccoli and onions on the way!

          >From: "Red Leader" <red-leader@...>
          > > BTW, I admire anyone who writes their pages by hand. Keep up the good
          > > work. I just finished re-writing a site that FrontPage had mauled and
          > > I'm thoroughly disgusted with that program. The code it puts out is
          > > abominable.

          Welcome to the "I hate FrontPage" club :))))

          A footnote about fonts.

          Common fonts for Windows are:
          - Times New Roman, with serifs (thingies around the foot of the letters)
          - Arial, without serif (also called "stick font")
          - Courier New, monospaced (every letter has the same width)

          Equivalent for Mac and Linux are:
          - Roman
          - Helvetica
          - Courier

          All other fonts are optionals: you can't know if the visitor can see them.
          Worst, sometimes a font with an odd name under Windows (e.g. "Elephant
          Big") can be a lot different, and thus unreadable.
          For example, a nasty trick is to write a page using "wingdings" font: who
          read it using Windows sees only fancy drawings: you need a non-windows
          computer to see it.
          Wingdings (Zapf Dingbats on Mac) can be really useful working on an
          Intranet, where everybody has the same operating system: to draw a
          telephone you don't need an image but just a left parenthesis using
          Wingdings font. Faster!

          The W3C Consortium (these wise guys who try to define a standard for the
          web) suggest to avoid the FONT tag and use CSS (Cascading Style Sheets),
          but the behaviour of various browsers is so different that it seems nobody
          listen the Consortium. So I prefer old FONT tags.

          Bye!

          Marco Bernardini
        • alice w
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 20, 2000
            > The W3C Consortium (these wise guys who try to define a standard for the
            > web) suggest to avoid the FONT tag and use CSS (Cascading Style Sheets),
            > but the behaviour of various browsers is so different that it seems nobody
            > listen the Consortium. So I prefer old FONT tags.
            >
            > Bye!
            >
            > Marco Bernardini

            and I use CSE HTML validator to make sure I don't forget closing tags and I
            get these two conflicting messages from it:

            9: <style type="text/css">
            [CSE] Message number 1 for the tag beginning in line 9:2:
            [5] STYLE and style sheets are supported by Internet
            Explorer 3.0+ and Netscape 4.0+. Other browsers may not use
            style information.

            [CSE] Message number 5 for the tag beginning in line 26:10:
            [9] In HTML 4.0, FONT is deprecated in favor of using style
            sheets. FONT may become obsolete in the future.

            IOW, don't use FONT and don't use STYLE either..... :-D

            alice ttlg

            If one...just one more weird thing happens this month, I'm going to go
            completely bat shit. -- Lusiphur Amerellis Malache