Re: HelpSmith - GiveawayOfTheDay

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2008
      buralex@... said on Feb 07, 2008 5:44 -0500 (in part):
      > Sheri:
      > This is mostly for you 'cause I know you've frequently prepared or
      > updated CHM help files, but maybe others here might be interested too
      > ? Does this program offer anything not already available for free if
      > you hunt around?
      Followup:
      FWIW - I was able to decompile "ClipCode.chm". The only features
      obviously missing are the Favorites tab (but there may be someway to
      create that too that I haven't discovered) and some details of the
      formatting of pages (ditto).

      I don't suppose I'll often take bother but its nice to know I can
      permanently annotate Help files provided with software and even add my
      own screenshots etc.

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2008
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, buralex@... wrote:

        > buralex@... said on Feb 07, 2008 5:44 -0500 (in part):
        > > Sheri:
        > > This is mostly for you 'cause I know you've frequently prepared
        > > or updated CHM help files, but maybe others here might be
        > > interested too ? Does this program offer anything not already
        > > available for free if you hunt around?

        Well, I'll prefer to continue to edit my sources as html files and
        compile/decompile (as needed) directly in the free Microsoft HTML Help
        Workshop.

        Out of curiosity I did install HelpSmith and imported an existing help
        project. Not only was all the existing formatting lost, it also
        deleted all the anchors so bookmarks in the contents and index don't
        work in resulting CHMs.

        This is an word processor that wants to create your htm files from
        formatted text and act as a front end for HTML Help Workshop. You
        could do the same thing in NoteTab with a few clips. I would prefer to
        see my Wysiwyg in a browser window.

        But thanks anyway for putting me on to these giveaways. :)

        Regards,
        Sheri