HelpSmith - GiveawayOfTheDay

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2008
      Sheri:
      This is mostly for you 'cause I know you've frequently prepared or
      updated CHM help files, but maybe others here might be interested too ?
      Does this program offer anything not already available for free if you
      hunt around?

      It requires downloading (free)Executable file HTML Help Workshop (.EXE
      file, 3.5 MB) <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=14188> which I
      suspect you already have?

      Apparently list price is: $199 (the GOTD terms say its "for
      non-commercial usage")

      Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily. HelpSmith - The Help
      Authoring Tool.
      "February 7, 2008 HelpSmith is an innovative help authoring tool
      allowing you to easily create CHM HTML Help files and Printed Manuals.
      The HelpSmith's ultimate toolkit with its visual approach takes the
      process of writing technical documentation for your software to a new
      quality level.

      The powerful WYSIWYG ("What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get") text processor,
      support for Unicode, advanced approach to working with graphics, live
      spell checking, and many other useful features make HelpSmith the
      complete help authoring solution."
      http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/helpsmith/

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2008
        buralex@... said on Feb 07, 2008 5:44 -0500 (in part):
        > Sheri:
        > This is mostly for you 'cause I know you've frequently prepared or
        > updated CHM help files, but maybe others here might be interested too
        > ? Does this program offer anything not already available for free if
        > you hunt around?
        Followup:
        FWIW - I was able to decompile "ClipCode.chm". The only features
        obviously missing are the Favorites tab (but there may be someway to
        create that too that I haven't discovered) and some details of the
        formatting of pages (ditto).

        I don't suppose I'll often take bother but its nice to know I can
        permanently annotate Help files provided with software and even add my
        own screenshots etc.

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2008
          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, buralex@... wrote:

          > buralex@... said on Feb 07, 2008 5:44 -0500 (in part):
          > > Sheri:
          > > This is mostly for you 'cause I know you've frequently prepared
          > > or updated CHM help files, but maybe others here might be
          > > interested too ? Does this program offer anything not already
          > > available for free if you hunt around?

          Well, I'll prefer to continue to edit my sources as html files and
          compile/decompile (as needed) directly in the free Microsoft HTML Help
          Workshop.

          Out of curiosity I did install HelpSmith and imported an existing help
          project. Not only was all the existing formatting lost, it also
          deleted all the anchors so bookmarks in the contents and index don't
          work in resulting CHMs.

          This is an word processor that wants to create your htm files from
          formatted text and act as a front end for HTML Help Workshop. You
          could do the same thing in NoteTab with a few clips. I would prefer to
          see my Wysiwyg in a browser window.

          But thanks anyway for putting me on to these giveaways. :)

          Regards,
          Sheri