Re: [NTO] Save Partiallty Completed FreeCell Game

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2008
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      > To All,
      >
      > A friend says it's possible to save a partially completed instance of the
      > FreeCell game on a thumbdrive. I doubt his claim because there is no "Save" or
      > "Save as" option in the menu system of FreeCell on any of my PCs. All my PCs,
      > however, are running versions of WinXP. He has access to a Win2000 box. Can
      > anyone conceive of a way to save a partially completed game on ANY medium (not
      > just a thumb drive). I know it's possible to specify a particular game number
      > and play the exact same pattern of moves in two or more sessions. That will
      > allow the later sessions to look exactly like the earlier ones, but I still
      > don't think it's possible to save a game in progress and re-launch it at the
      > same intermediate point later.
      >
      > Thanks for the help.
      >
      > Ray Shapp
      In Vista you can save a game:
      http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/70f47084-279a-4ec5-a7b9-364a989ddbf41033.mspx

      The only reason I know so far to justify Vista ;-P

      Also there are utilities that supposedly lets you redo the games:
      http://www.freecellwizard.com/

      There are more games on later versions of Windows than on earlier
      versions and there are supposedly unsolvable games.

      Believe it or not there is a wiki on it:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeCell

      Unwinnable game?
      Out of the Microsoft Windows games, there are believed to be 8 which are
      unsolvable. They are games No. 11,982, No. 146,692, No. 186,216, No.
      455,889, No. 495,505, No. 512,118, No. 517,776, and No. 781,948. This
      conclusion was arrived at by the consensus of several authors of
      FreeCell solvers. The solvers of both Danny A. Jones and Gary D.
      Campbell have been run through the first million FreeCell games and have
      found solutions to all but these eight.
      Source: Wiki