Re: [NTO] Blockquote

  • Carl Swann
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 19, 2000
      phil wrote:

      > I tried to get some small (below 10 kb) veggie and flower pictures that were
      > free, and could find none. Two Peppers were about it.

      Phil... here's a site that has hundreds of links to free graphics
      sites on the Web. You'll have to do a lot of digging... but you're a
      garden center guy, anyway, right??? :-)

      http://www.freegraphics.com/

      oOOo-(_)-oOOo
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 19, 2000
        Hi Phil,

        >What will "Blockquote" and "justify" do?

        See Marco's post. Open your index file in NoteTab and make a
        copy of it. Take the code I sent you and paste it over the first
        section where I took it from. View it in your browser and you
        will see it justified, that is aligned evenly on both sides and
        it will be indent some on each side. I find pages much easier to
        read like that and think they look a lot better.

        >I know almost nothing about HTML, and feel lucky I got it as
        >good as I did.

        For a first page you did fine!!! You might want to pick this back
        up on the HTML list. ;) ntb-HTML@...

        Happy HTML'n!
        Jody

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab and Html List...
        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
      • phil
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 21, 2000
          I am stuck again. I have learned nothing.

          Some smart guy please go to www.comnett.net/~phil/gh11.html

          and look at this chapter of my E-book and see if I can " Justify" the
          text below "GH-11" (a fourth of the way down on the left)---I want to
          "Justify" right and left, insteade of just left.

          Can I do that? How?

          Phil E
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 21, 2000
            Hi phil,

            >Some smart guy please go to www.comnett.net/~phil/gh11.html
            >
            >and look at this chapter of my E-book and see if I can " Justify" the
            >text below "GH-11" (a fourth of the way down on the left)

            <H4 ALIGN="justify">This particular little bit is NOT part of this chapter in the book. It was added to explain what YOU are seeing....</H4>

            <BR><BR>

            Add the ALIGN="justify" to every opening paragraph tag.

            find <P> and replace with <P ALIGN="justify">

            <H3>GH-11</H3>

            <P ALIGN="justify"><FONT face="Arial">
            I want to go back and talk about building again, for a little bit.....</P>

            nite...

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 21, 2000
              Thanks Jody - - That was just what I wanted- Looks great.

              Phil E

              > >and look at this chapter of my E-book and see if I can " Justify" the
              > >text below "GH-11" (a fourth of the way down on the left)
              >
              > <H4 ALIGN="justify">This particular little bit is NOT part of this chapter
              in the book. It was added to explain what YOU are seeing....</H4>

              > <BR><BR>
              >
              > Add the ALIGN="justify" to every opening paragraph tag.
              >
              > find <P> and replace with <P ALIGN="justify">
              >
              > <H3>GH-11</H3>
              >
              > <P ALIGN="justify"><FONT face="Arial">
              > I want to go back and talk about building again, for a little bit.....</P>
              >
              > nite...
              >
              > Happy HTML'n!
              > Jody
              >
              > http://www.sureword.com/notetab
              >
              > The NoteTab and Html List...
              > mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...

            • Red Leader
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
                phil wrote:

                > I want to
                > "Justify" right and left, insteade of just left.
                >
                > Can I do that? How?

                Rather than replacing every <p> tag, you can use:
                <DIV align="justify">
                right after your <H3>GH-11</H3> and then put the closing </DIV> after
                the last paragraph. Everything between the <DIV> tags gets justified (or
                centered or whatever you want.)

                Emmett Hawkins
              • J. Michael Mollohan
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
                  Phil wrote:
                  > >Some smart guy please go to www.comnett.net/~phil/gh11.html

                  Jody responded:

                  > >and look at this chapter of my E-book and see if I can " Justify" the
                  > >text below "GH-11" (a fourth of the way down on the left)
                  >
                  > <H4 ALIGN="justify">This particular little bit is NOT part of this chapter
                  in the book. It was added to explain what YOU are seeing....</H4>

                  > <BR><BR>
                  >
                  > Add the ALIGN="justify" to every opening paragraph tag.
                  >
                  > find <P> and replace with <P ALIGN="justify">
                  >
                  > <H3>GH-11</H3>
                  >
                  > <P ALIGN="justify"><FONT face="Arial">
                  > I want to go back and talk about building again, for a little bit.....</P>

                  From what I understand, tage like <CENTER> and <FONT> and the ALIGN
                  parameter of the Header tags have been deprecated by the w3c and will
                  eventually be dropped. A better, and easier method would be to use
                  stylesheets or XML. A simple method, one that I use quite frequently is:

                  <!--

                  body { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
                  font-size: 9pt;
                  color: #000044;
                  margin-top: 20px;
                  background-image: url(nb.jpg)}

                  P { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
                  font-size: 9pt;
                  color: #000044;
                  text-align: justify;
                  text-indent: 3em}

                  H3 {font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
                  color: red;
                  text-decoration: bold;
                  text-align: center;
                  font-size: 12pt }

                  H4 {font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
                  color: brown;
                  text-decoration: bold;
                  font-size: 14pt }
                  -->

                  Note in the P(aragraph) tag, the text-align parameter is set to "justify"
                  which is what Phil was wanting to do. It also has a 3 em indent specified
                  for every paragraph.

                  The H3 tag specifies 12 point, bold red text, centered. This is a simple
                  way to handle chapter and section headers and headlines, etc. Stylesheets
                  rule!

                  HTH

                  Michael
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
                    Hi Michael,

                    >From what I understand, tage like <CENTER> and <FONT> and the
                    >ALIGN parameter of the Header tags have been deprecated by the
                    >w3c and will eventually be dropped. A better, and easier method
                    >would be to use stylesheets or XML. A simple method, one that I
                    >use quite frequently is:

                    While I agree that one day we may be forced to use style sheets
                    for certain things, I find, for beginners, they extremely
                    difficult to learn. I find them quite difficult myself still to
                    understand and definitely a lot harder to use than <CENTER> and
                    <FONT>. I am very sorry that some committee took it upon itself
                    to try to get rid of them. I hope the main browsers override
                    them and keep supporting it.

                    cya,
                    Jody

                    Bradley's Bromide:

                    If computers get too powerful, we can organize
                    them into a committee -- that will do them in.
                  • Red Leader
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
                      Jody wrote:
                      > While I agree that one day we may be forced to use style sheets
                      > for certain things, I find, for beginners, they extremely
                      > difficult to learn. I find them quite difficult myself still to
                      > understand and definitely a lot harder to use than <CENTER> and
                      > <FONT>. I am very sorry that some committee took it upon itself
                      > to try to get rid of them. I hope the main browsers override
                      > them and keep supporting it.

                      I like style sheets, you can do so much more with them and make pages
                      look so much nicer than using HTML "hacks". Saying "margin-left: 1in;
                      margin-right:1in" is a lot easier than trying to write tables to get
                      margins on the page. The reason I don't use them more is because they're
                      not backwards compatible. Pages that look beautiful on the latest
                      versions of NS and IE look awful on a 3.0 browser. Maybe someday
                      everyone will have upgraded to a decent browser but for now we're stuck
                      using the HTML layout tags.

                      I wouldn't badmouth the W3C too much. While I agree that the major
                      browsers should continue to support HTML 4.0, I think that separating
                      the content from the layout is a good idea and eventually should make
                      things run much smoother. Also, the main browsers are really the ones
                      who decide how pages are written, the W3C just makes recommendations.
                      People write pages to be compatible with the majority of web users, not
                      based on W3C specs.

                      There's my $0.02, for what it's worth. :-)

                      Emmett Hawkins
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
                        Hi Emmett,

                        >I like style sheets, you can do so much more with them and make
                        >pages look so much nicer than using HTML "hacks". Saying "margin-
                        >left: 1in; margin-right:1in" is a lot easier than trying to write
                        >tables to get margins on the page. The reason I don't use them
                        >more is because they're not backwards compatible. Pages that look
                        >beautiful on the latest versions of NS and IE look awful on a 3.0
                        >browser. Maybe someday everyone will have upgraded to a decent
                        >browser but for now we're stuck using the HTML layout tags.

                        I agree that some things are easier, especially for the web
                        authors that do it on a daily basis, but for the beginners and
                        those with no programming experience CSS can be extremely
                        confusing.

                        >I wouldn't badmouth the W3C too much.

                        I really try hard not too, believe it or not and do understand
                        they are trying to get some order to the whole mess. It seems to
                        me they make some things more difficult than it needs to be
                        though and they seem to have no regards for the beginner or
                        weekend hobbyist HTMLers. But as you implied - M$/IE are going
                        to do whatever pleases them and could care less about anybody else.

                        I appreciate your two cents. ;)

                        Happy HTML'n!
                        Jody

                        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                        The NoteTab and Html List...
                        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                      • Scott Fordin
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
                          > I like style sheets, you can do so much more with them and make pages
                          > look so much nicer than using HTML "hacks". Saying "margin-left: 1in;
                          > margin-right:1in" is a lot easier than trying to write tables to get
                          > margins on the page. The reason I don't use them more is because they're
                          > not backwards compatible. Pages that look beautiful on the latest
                          > versions of NS and IE look awful on a 3.0 browser. Maybe someday
                          > everyone will have upgraded to a decent browser but for now we're stuck
                          > using the HTML layout tags.

                          As alluded above, the thing to remember about stylesheets is that you
                          still need to make your base code look good in case the stylesheet is
                          unavailable, or the reader's browser can't handle it, or if the reader has
                          disabled stylesheets in their browser. To say it another way, your code --
                          as with all program code -- should be able to fail gracefully.

                          > Also, the main browsers are really the ones
                          > who decide how pages are written, the W3C just makes recommendations.
                          > People write pages to be compatible with the majority of web users, not
                          > based on W3C specs.

                          Ah, there's rub: the "recommendations" promulgated by the W3C are intended
                          to inculcate cross-platform, cross-browser compatibility -- a.k.a. "open
                          standards." Proprietary extensions to HTML and XML are evil and should be
                          resisted at all costs! Microsoft is notorious about pushing proprietary
                          extensions (yes, Netscape has done it also, but not as much, especially
                          not lately), and then embedding those extensions in their authoring tools.
                          This is clearly an effort to usurp the HTML (and now XML) standards. If
                          you own HTML/XML, then you own ecommerce, data warehousing, distributed
                          applications, and suchlike. Can you say Microsoft.NET?

                          Scott
                        • Red Leader
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
                            Scott Fordin wrote:

                            > As alluded above, the thing to remember about stylesheets is that you
                            > still need to make your base code look good in case the stylesheet is
                            > unavailable, or the reader's browser can't handle it, or if the reader has
                            > disabled stylesheets in their browser. To say it another way, your code --
                            > as with all program code -- should be able to fail gracefully.

                            Yes, this is what I try to do, use stylesheets as much as possible but
                            make sure it still looks decent on an older browser. Unfortunately, this
                            prevents using stylesheets to their maximum potential. For example, you
                            can't define fonts using both HTML and stylesheets. Well, I guess you
                            can but the results probably won't be pretty.

                            > Ah, there's rub: the "recommendations" promulgated by the W3C are intended
                            > to inculcate cross-platform, cross-browser compatibility -- a.k.a. "open
                            > standards." Proprietary extensions to HTML and XML are evil and should be
                            > resisted at all costs! Microsoft is notorious about pushing proprietary
                            > extensions (yes, Netscape has done it also, but not as much, especially
                            > not lately), and then embedding those extensions in their authoring tools.
                            > This is clearly an effort to usurp the HTML (and now XML) standards.

                            I would agree to a point. I don't think one organization should have
                            absolute control over how software is written. Some of the extensions
                            Netscape added eventually became part of the standard, because they were
                            good ones. It would like to see all browsers be 100% compatible with the
                            standard. Then if they want to add extensions that's fine, as long as
                            people know they're the only ones that support them. Right now, most
                            browsers don't even fully support the standard, so cross-platform,
                            cross-browser compatibility is a joke.

                            And before we knock M$ too much (I've done my share!) I will say that
                            they're a lot better about supporting stylesheets than Netscape was/is.

                            Emmett
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
                              Hi Emmett,

                              >Rather than replacing every <p> tag, you can use:
                              ><DIV align="justify">
                              >right after your <H3>GH-11</H3> and then put the closing </DIV> after
                              >the last paragraph. Everything between the <DIV> tags gets justified (or
                              >centered or whatever you want.)

                              Will that work in all cases? I have noticed when I try to do
                              "global" tags like that they sometimes quit when I add certain
                              code below it and do not go through the whole doc. I prefer
                              doing it that way myself with everything I can get away with
                              instead of doing it to all paragraphs like FONT, etc. It seems
                              so redundant to keep adding the same code over and over.

                              Thanks!
                              Jody

                              Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                              mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
                            • Red Leader
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
                                Jody wrote:

                                > Will that work in all cases? I have noticed when I try to do
                                > "global" tags like that they sometimes quit when I add certain
                                > code below it and do not go through the whole doc. I prefer
                                > doing it that way myself with everything I can get away with
                                > instead of doing it to all paragraphs like FONT, etc. It seems
                                > so redundant to keep adding the same code over and over.

                                Thanks for bringing this up. To be honest, I don't know. I haven't had
                                real great success using the <DIV> tag in the past. I tried it on Phil's
                                page before I sent that post to make sure it worked. As you say, it
                                would sure be nice if it worked, but I'm not sure that it always does.
                                Anyone else have any thoughts on why this is?

                                Emmett
                              • phil
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
                                  Well, it sure works good on my book. Easy fast and great.

                                  Phil E.