Re: [NTO] Search Engine For My Website?

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
      Hi Don and All,

      Thanks for your reply.

      <<You can put google on it.>>

      I'm using that on most of my other sites, but the newest one is for a client
      who wants a "clean" theme. Please take a look at www.classiccars.ws for an
      example of an older site. The new one is at www.northeastpicturecars.com. It's
      only a few days old, and has a gallery of only eleven vehicles, but it will
      soon have hundreds. I welcome any and all comments from everyone

      <<If you are using a CMS, like wordpress for example, you will have the data
      in a database and it will be easily searchable.>>

      I've seen several references to WordPress recently (maybe some of them were
      from you). I looked at the WP site, but didn't immediately comprehend how to
      use it for my needs. I'll look at it again. Your idea of drop-down lists is
      very appealing. I'm using EasyImager to create the "albums" for each vehicle.
      I can use the keyword function of EasyImager to record Year, Make, and Model
      for each vehicle. I think that info plus maybe color should be sufficient for
      the search index. Will WordPress mesh well with the keyword function in
      EasyImager?

      Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
        Ray wrote:
        >Can anyone recommend a search engine that I can incorporate into one of my
        >websites to allow users to find relevant pages.

        If you want it easy, take a look at Zoom. The easy bit is that the
        indexer is Windows program. It has quite a lot of options and
        supports PHP, Perl and ASP (IIRC). It's free for up to 50 pages. That
        should be enough for now and give you time to try it out. The price
        isn't too bad for the Pro versions either.
        <http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/>

        Otherwise, knock yourself out...
        <http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Search_Engines/>
        (see corresponding sections for other languages than PHP)

        Lotta
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
          Hi Lotta,

          Thanks for the reply,

          <<If you want it easy, take a look at Zoom.>>

          Good tip. I'm about to try it on one of my small sites.

          Ray Shapp