Re: [NTO] Security Problems

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
      Mordechai wrote:
      >Hello,
      >Recently I am assembling a new computer for my grandson (9 YO) and installed
      >*Windows xp pro+sp2

      >May I have some advise (detailed please) how to turn-off those annoying
      >security settings, in IE and in the media player, at least while not
      >connected.

      This is detailed.
      http://www.phdcc.com/xpsp2.htm

      I'm not sure which of the options there will fix the Flash problem.
      Anyway, I recently moved from 2K to XP SP2. I changed the Local
      Machine security level in Internet Options first thing I did, and
      that of course took care of things. I don't know if that's advisable
      or not, but I just can't be bothered...

      Lotta
    • M.M.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 20, 2008
        Thank you Loro,
        I was reading the article linked in your answer, ashamed I must say I did
        not understand a lot of that,
        and I am not alone as I read also comments of others there.
        I wonder if MS had in mind youngsters who have to deal with those 'security'
        problems.
        Kindly I will ask you how did you turned-off the security settings.
        Finally I think to reformat the disk for my grandson's PC and install the OS
        with sp1, this will be enough
        for game-playing etc.
        Thanks again
        Mordechai

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 20, 2008
          Mordechai wrote:
          >I was reading the article linked in your answer, ashamed I must say
          >I did not understand a lot of that
          <snip>
          >Kindly I will ask you how did you turned-off the security settings.

          You jdidn't scroll far enough. There's a picture with red arrows and all.
          <http://www.phdcc.com/xpsp2.htm#securityoptions>

          I *think* this is what I did. It's been a couple of months and my
          memory empty itself frequently these days.

          Hope it works!
          Lotta
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 21, 2008
            Hi Mordechai
            What I would do is to put on XP + SP1 and SP2 + DIRECTX i think it is up to
            10 now ,SP2 makes USB anything much easier to work with and if it is NOT
            going to the outside world go to
            start Internet explorer and go to Tools\Internet options and click then go
            to advanced and scroll down to security and tick the first and second boxes
            and apply and you should be able to run any game anyone wants.
            THANKYOU DAVE M