Search Engine For My Website?

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
      To All,

      Can anyone recommend a search engine that I can incorporate into one of my
      websites to allow users to find relevant pages. For example, my site will
      eventually have several hundred vehicles of all makes, models, and years
      available for rent. I want to provide a way for the user to search through our
      site for those pages that fully describe the target vehicle(s). Possible
      search argument might be "1947 Cadillac convertible". The "hits" should be
      links to the main pages that describe the three or four vehicles that match
      the criteria.

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
        Ray Shapp wrote:
        > To All,
        >
        > Can anyone recommend a search engine that I can incorporate into one of my
        > websites to allow users to find relevant pages. For example, my site will
        > eventually have several hundred vehicles of all makes, models, and years
        > available for rent. I want to provide a way for the user to search through our
        > site for those pages that fully describe the target vehicle(s). Possible
        > search argument might be "1947 Cadillac convertible". The "hits" should be
        > links to the main pages that describe the three or four vehicles that match
        > the criteria.
        >
        > Thanks for the help.
        >
        > Ray Shapp

        There are lots of ways. You can put google on it. If you are using a
        CMS, like wordpress for example, you will have the data in a database
        and it will be easily searchable. That is a great way to go, especially
        as you will undoubtedly be adding/deleting vehicles as you go. You
        should be able to even use custom fields if you wish and then use drop
        downs by brand etc.

        Where is the website, I'd enjoy having a look.
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
          Hi Don and All,

          Thanks for your reply.

          <<You can put google on it.>>

          I'm using that on most of my other sites, but the newest one is for a client
          who wants a "clean" theme. Please take a look at www.classiccars.ws for an
          example of an older site. The new one is at www.northeastpicturecars.com. It's
          only a few days old, and has a gallery of only eleven vehicles, but it will
          soon have hundreds. I welcome any and all comments from everyone

          <<If you are using a CMS, like wordpress for example, you will have the data
          in a database and it will be easily searchable.>>

          I've seen several references to WordPress recently (maybe some of them were
          from you). I looked at the WP site, but didn't immediately comprehend how to
          use it for my needs. I'll look at it again. Your idea of drop-down lists is
          very appealing. I'm using EasyImager to create the "albums" for each vehicle.
          I can use the keyword function of EasyImager to record Year, Make, and Model
          for each vehicle. I think that info plus maybe color should be sufficient for
          the search index. Will WordPress mesh well with the keyword function in
          EasyImager?

          Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
            Ray wrote:
            >Can anyone recommend a search engine that I can incorporate into one of my
            >websites to allow users to find relevant pages.

            If you want it easy, take a look at Zoom. The easy bit is that the
            indexer is Windows program. It has quite a lot of options and
            supports PHP, Perl and ASP (IIRC). It's free for up to 50 pages. That
            should be enough for now and give you time to try it out. The price
            isn't too bad for the Pro versions either.
            <http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/>

            Otherwise, knock yourself out...
            <http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Search_Engines/>
            (see corresponding sections for other languages than PHP)

            Lotta
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
              Hi Lotta,

              Thanks for the reply,

              <<If you want it easy, take a look at Zoom.>>

              Good tip. I'm about to try it on one of my small sites.

              Ray Shapp