Re: [NTO] MySql question(s)

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2008
      Bob Janes wrote:
      > Hi Mike,
      >
      > WV-Mike wrote:
      >> Can anyone tell me if data entered in Excel or Access can be imported into
      > MySql?

      If you have data in the right format it is easy to use phpmyadmin to
      import it to your database.
      I also have written clips to take info from an excel spreadsheet and
      simply enter it into wordpress one entry at a time. This is better
      because one entry into wordpress may make entries in three or four
      different tables as there are interrelationships.
    • WV-Mike
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
        At 10:56 PM 1/1/2008 , you wrote:

        >Bob Janes wrote:
        > > Hi Mike,
        > >
        > > WV-Mike wrote:
        > >> Can anyone tell me if data entered in Excel or Access can be imported into
        > > MySql?
        >
        >If you have data in the right format it is easy to use phpmyadmin to
        >import it to your database.

        I am not too swift on this stuff right now, but will have to be at some point.

        >I also have written clips to take info from an excel spreadsheet and
        >simply enter it into wordpress one entry at a time. This is better
        >because one entry into wordpress may make entries in three or four
        >different tables as there are interrelationships.

        I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.

        I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to PHP
        MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
        Thanks,
        -Mike
        http://epicroadtrips.us/

        YOUR HELP IS NEEDED !!

        Please click on National Geographic link to cast a VOTE
        for Blackwater Canyon as America's next National Park!

        See full story in May 2004 Edition of
        National Geographic Adventure Magazine
        on sale at news stands now.

        Voting link also available at Friends of Blackwater
        http://www.saveblackwater.org/
        Help make the vision of Blackwater Canyon National Park a reality.

        Please forward this e-mail to your friends, and encourage them to vote for
        Blackwater Canyon in the
        National Geographic Adventure Magazine Poll
        http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0405/parks_poll.html
        for the next National Park in the United States.

      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
          snip

          > I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.
          >
          > I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to PHP
          > MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
          > Thanks,
          > -Mike
          > http://epicroadtrips.us/

          Overcome your fear and get it into a cms (in this case wordpress). I
          love wordpress almost as much as notetab itself. It allows you to
          manipulate, work on layout free of content, etc. Go for it!
        • WV-Mike
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 4, 2008
            At 09:47 AM 1/2/2008 , Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
            >snip
            > >
            > > I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.
            > >
            > > I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to PHP
            > > MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
            > > Thanks,
            > > -Mike
            > > <http://epicroadtrips.us/>http://epicroadtrips.us/
            > >
            >Overcome your fear and get it into a cms (in this case wordpress). I
            >love wordpress almost as much as notetab itself. It allows you to
            >manipulate, work on layout free of content, etc. Go for it!

            Hi Don,
            I am not sure WordPress will work for me.
            I will need many fields for data entry and it looks to me like WP is
            limited to what is available from the Dahsboard.

            But, I don't really know much about this.

            -Mike

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 4, 2008
              Hi
              I still think you should try a single column down one side for say your bird
              types ,first page what's going on then click on bird type or do it by day
              you then scroll to which ever day one wants each page would have the goings
              on of that day or say bird. ?
              THANKYOU DAVE M

              > At 09:47 AM 1/2/2008 , Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
              >>snip
              >> >
              >> > I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.
              >> >
              >> > I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to
              >> > PHP
              >> > MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
              >> > Thanks,
              >> > -Mike
              >> > <http://epicroadtrips.us/>http://epicroadtrips.us/
              >> >
              >>Overcome your fear and get it into a cms (in this case wordpress). I
              >>love wordpress almost as much as notetab itself. It allows you to
              >>manipulate, work on layout free of content, etc. Go for it!
              >
              > Hi Don,
              > I am not sure WordPress will work for me.
              > I will need many fields for data entry and it looks to me like WP is
              > limited to what is available from the Dahsboard.
              >
              > But, I don't really know much about this.
              >
              > -Mike

            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 4, 2008
                WV-Mike wrote:
                > At 09:47 AM 1/2/2008 , Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                >> snip
                >>> I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.
                >>>
                >>> I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to PHP
                >>> MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
                >>> Thanks,
                >>> -Mike
                >>> <http://epicroadtrips.us/>http://epicroadtrips.us/
                >>>
                >> Overcome your fear and get it into a cms (in this case wordpress). I
                >> love wordpress almost as much as notetab itself. It allows you to
                >> manipulate, work on layout free of content, etc. Go for it!
                >
                > Hi Don,
                > I am not sure WordPress will work for me.
                > I will need many fields for data entry and it looks to me like WP is
                > limited to what is available from the Dahsboard.
                >
                > But, I don't really know much about this.
                >
                > -Mike

                Well Mike,

                I don't know your context, but WordPress and many other CMS systems
                allow custom variables, so you can create the fields that you need.

                Don
              • WV-Mike
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 4, 2008
                  At 02:01 PM 1/4/2008 , you wrote:
                  >Well Mike,
                  >
                  >I don't know your context, but WordPress and many other CMS systems
                  >allow custom variables, so you can create the fields that you need.

                  Okey-Doke.
                  Will keep looking into this.
                  -Mike