Re: [NTO] MySql question(s)

  • WV-Mike
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
      At 08:45 AM 12/31/2007 , you wrote:
      >Hi
      >why don't you use otl or similar format ,something akin to frames eg. "days
      >down one side" scroll to which every one you want ,one click you see the
      >hole day or bird type ?
      >THANKYOU DAVE M

      Hi Dave,

      I was hoping to have it in some sort of format where a query could be done
      by year/month/day state, location, common name, family/genus/species/variant.
      This would include lists as well as journal entries and travelogues and all
      his other writings as well.
      A monumental project from my point of vies as it all has to be first
      transcribed to even get started.

      He kept records from the early forties until 2007, the year of his death.
      http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/dad/obit/

      - Mike
      http://epicroadtrips.us/

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
        Hi
        I still like the other ways but I do wish you luck it looks a lot of work ?
        THANKYOU DAVE M happy new year

        >>why don't you use otl or similar format ,something akin to frames eg.
        >>"days
        >>down one side" scroll to which every one you want ,one click you see the
        >>hole day or bird type ?
        >>THANKYOU DAVE M
        >
        > Hi Dave,
        >
        > I was hoping to have it in some sort of format where a query could be done
        > by year/month/day state, location, common name,
        > family/genus/species/variant.
        > This would include lists as well as journal entries and travelogues and
        > all
        > his other writings as well.
        > A monumental project from my point of vies as it all has to be first
        > transcribed to even get started.
        >
        > He kept records from the early forties until 2007, the year of his death.
        > http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/dad/obit/
        >
        > - Mike
        > http://epicroadtrips.us/

      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2008
          Bob Janes wrote:
          > Hi Mike,
          >
          > WV-Mike wrote:
          >> Can anyone tell me if data entered in Excel or Access can be imported into
          > MySql?

          If you have data in the right format it is easy to use phpmyadmin to
          import it to your database.
          I also have written clips to take info from an excel spreadsheet and
          simply enter it into wordpress one entry at a time. This is better
          because one entry into wordpress may make entries in three or four
          different tables as there are interrelationships.
        • WV-Mike
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
            At 10:56 PM 1/1/2008 , you wrote:

            >Bob Janes wrote:
            > > Hi Mike,
            > >
            > > WV-Mike wrote:
            > >> Can anyone tell me if data entered in Excel or Access can be imported into
            > > MySql?
            >
            >If you have data in the right format it is easy to use phpmyadmin to
            >import it to your database.

            I am not too swift on this stuff right now, but will have to be at some point.

            >I also have written clips to take info from an excel spreadsheet and
            >simply enter it into wordpress one entry at a time. This is better
            >because one entry into wordpress may make entries in three or four
            >different tables as there are interrelationships.

            I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.

            I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to PHP
            MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
            Thanks,
            -Mike
            http://epicroadtrips.us/

            YOUR HELP IS NEEDED !!

            Please click on National Geographic link to cast a VOTE
            for Blackwater Canyon as America's next National Park!

            See full story in May 2004 Edition of
            National Geographic Adventure Magazine
            on sale at news stands now.

            Voting link also available at Friends of Blackwater
            http://www.saveblackwater.org/
            Help make the vision of Blackwater Canyon National Park a reality.

            Please forward this e-mail to your friends, and encourage them to vote for
            Blackwater Canyon in the
            National Geographic Adventure Magazine Poll
            http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0405/parks_poll.html
            for the next National Park in the United States.

          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
              snip

              > I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.
              >
              > I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to PHP
              > MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
              > Thanks,
              > -Mike
              > http://epicroadtrips.us/

              Overcome your fear and get it into a cms (in this case wordpress). I
              love wordpress almost as much as notetab itself. It allows you to
              manipulate, work on layout free of content, etc. Go for it!
            • WV-Mike
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 4, 2008
                At 09:47 AM 1/2/2008 , Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                >snip
                > >
                > > I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.
                > >
                > > I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to PHP
                > > MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
                > > Thanks,
                > > -Mike
                > > <http://epicroadtrips.us/>http://epicroadtrips.us/
                > >
                >Overcome your fear and get it into a cms (in this case wordpress). I
                >love wordpress almost as much as notetab itself. It allows you to
                >manipulate, work on layout free of content, etc. Go for it!

                Hi Don,
                I am not sure WordPress will work for me.
                I will need many fields for data entry and it looks to me like WP is
                limited to what is available from the Dahsboard.

                But, I don't really know much about this.

                -Mike

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 4, 2008
                  Hi
                  I still think you should try a single column down one side for say your bird
                  types ,first page what's going on then click on bird type or do it by day
                  you then scroll to which ever day one wants each page would have the goings
                  on of that day or say bird. ?
                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                  > At 09:47 AM 1/2/2008 , Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                  >>snip
                  >> >
                  >> > I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.
                  >> >
                  >> > I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to
                  >> > PHP
                  >> > MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
                  >> > Thanks,
                  >> > -Mike
                  >> > <http://epicroadtrips.us/>http://epicroadtrips.us/
                  >> >
                  >>Overcome your fear and get it into a cms (in this case wordpress). I
                  >>love wordpress almost as much as notetab itself. It allows you to
                  >>manipulate, work on layout free of content, etc. Go for it!
                  >
                  > Hi Don,
                  > I am not sure WordPress will work for me.
                  > I will need many fields for data entry and it looks to me like WP is
                  > limited to what is available from the Dahsboard.
                  >
                  > But, I don't really know much about this.
                  >
                  > -Mike

                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 4, 2008
                    WV-Mike wrote:
                    > At 09:47 AM 1/2/2008 , Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                    >> snip
                    >>> I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.
                    >>>
                    >>> I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to PHP
                    >>> MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
                    >>> Thanks,
                    >>> -Mike
                    >>> <http://epicroadtrips.us/>http://epicroadtrips.us/
                    >>>
                    >> Overcome your fear and get it into a cms (in this case wordpress). I
                    >> love wordpress almost as much as notetab itself. It allows you to
                    >> manipulate, work on layout free of content, etc. Go for it!
                    >
                    > Hi Don,
                    > I am not sure WordPress will work for me.
                    > I will need many fields for data entry and it looks to me like WP is
                    > limited to what is available from the Dahsboard.
                    >
                    > But, I don't really know much about this.
                    >
                    > -Mike

                    Well Mike,

                    I don't know your context, but WordPress and many other CMS systems
                    allow custom variables, so you can create the fields that you need.

                    Don
                  • WV-Mike
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 4, 2008
                      At 02:01 PM 1/4/2008 , you wrote:
                      >Well Mike,
                      >
                      >I don't know your context, but WordPress and many other CMS systems
                      >allow custom variables, so you can create the fields that you need.

                      Okey-Doke.
                      Will keep looking into this.
                      -Mike