RE: [NTO] MySql question(s)

  • Bob Janes
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
      Hi Mike,

      WV-Mike wrote:
      > Can anyone tell me if data entered in Excel or Access can be imported into
      MySql?

      You can get the free MySQL Migration Toolkit from
      http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html this will import from
      other databases into MySQL.

      May not be the easiest way though, if you're setting up a MySQL/PHP based
      CMS it may be as simple to cut and paste over.

      Bob
    • WV-Mike
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
        At 05:47 PM 12/30/2007 , you wrote:
        >Hi Mike,
        >
        >WV-Mike wrote:
        > > Can anyone tell me if data entered in Excel or Access can be imported into
        >MySql?
        >
        >You can get the free MySQL Migration Toolkit from
        >http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html this will import from
        >other databases into MySQL.
        >
        >May not be the easiest way though, if you're setting up a MySQL/PHP based
        >CMS it may be as simple to cut and paste over.

        Hi Bob,
        I think you may be right about the cut and paste over.
        Probably easiest for a non nerd like me!

        Thanks,
        -Mike

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
          Hi
          why don't you use otl or similar format ,something akin to frames eg. "days
          down one side" scroll to which every one you want ,one click you see the
          hole day or bird type ?
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          >> > Can anyone tell me if data entered in Excel or Access can be imported
          >> > into
          >>MySql?
          >>
          >>You can get the free MySQL Migration Toolkit from
          >>http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html this will import from
          >>other databases into MySQL.
          >>
          >>May not be the easiest way though, if you're setting up a MySQL/PHP based
          >>CMS it may be as simple to cut and paste over.
          >

          > Hi Bob,
          > I think you may be right about the cut and paste over.
          > Probably easiest for a non nerd like me!
          >
          > Thanks,
          > -Mike

        • WV-Mike
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
            At 08:45 AM 12/31/2007 , you wrote:
            >Hi
            >why don't you use otl or similar format ,something akin to frames eg. "days
            >down one side" scroll to which every one you want ,one click you see the
            >hole day or bird type ?
            >THANKYOU DAVE M

            Hi Dave,

            I was hoping to have it in some sort of format where a query could be done
            by year/month/day state, location, common name, family/genus/species/variant.
            This would include lists as well as journal entries and travelogues and all
            his other writings as well.
            A monumental project from my point of vies as it all has to be first
            transcribed to even get started.

            He kept records from the early forties until 2007, the year of his death.
            http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/dad/obit/

            - Mike
            http://epicroadtrips.us/

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
              Hi
              I still like the other ways but I do wish you luck it looks a lot of work ?
              THANKYOU DAVE M happy new year

              >>why don't you use otl or similar format ,something akin to frames eg.
              >>"days
              >>down one side" scroll to which every one you want ,one click you see the
              >>hole day or bird type ?
              >>THANKYOU DAVE M
              >
              > Hi Dave,
              >
              > I was hoping to have it in some sort of format where a query could be done
              > by year/month/day state, location, common name,
              > family/genus/species/variant.
              > This would include lists as well as journal entries and travelogues and
              > all
              > his other writings as well.
              > A monumental project from my point of vies as it all has to be first
              > transcribed to even get started.
              >
              > He kept records from the early forties until 2007, the year of his death.
              > http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/dad/obit/
              >
              > - Mike
              > http://epicroadtrips.us/

            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 1, 2008
                Bob Janes wrote:
                > Hi Mike,
                >
                > WV-Mike wrote:
                >> Can anyone tell me if data entered in Excel or Access can be imported into
                > MySql?

                If you have data in the right format it is easy to use phpmyadmin to
                import it to your database.
                I also have written clips to take info from an excel spreadsheet and
                simply enter it into wordpress one entry at a time. This is better
                because one entry into wordpress may make entries in three or four
                different tables as there are interrelationships.
              • WV-Mike
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
                  At 10:56 PM 1/1/2008 , you wrote:

                  >Bob Janes wrote:
                  > > Hi Mike,
                  > >
                  > > WV-Mike wrote:
                  > >> Can anyone tell me if data entered in Excel or Access can be imported into
                  > > MySql?
                  >
                  >If you have data in the right format it is easy to use phpmyadmin to
                  >import it to your database.

                  I am not too swift on this stuff right now, but will have to be at some point.

                  >I also have written clips to take info from an excel spreadsheet and
                  >simply enter it into wordpress one entry at a time. This is better
                  >because one entry into wordpress may make entries in three or four
                  >different tables as there are interrelationships.

                  I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.

                  I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to PHP
                  MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
                  Thanks,
                  -Mike
                  http://epicroadtrips.us/

                  YOUR HELP IS NEEDED !!

                  Please click on National Geographic link to cast a VOTE
                  for Blackwater Canyon as America's next National Park!

                  See full story in May 2004 Edition of
                  National Geographic Adventure Magazine
                  on sale at news stands now.

                  Voting link also available at Friends of Blackwater
                  http://www.saveblackwater.org/
                  Help make the vision of Blackwater Canyon National Park a reality.

                  Please forward this e-mail to your friends, and encourage them to vote for
                  Blackwater Canyon in the
                  National Geographic Adventure Magazine Poll
                  http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0405/parks_poll.html
                  for the next National Park in the United States.

                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
                    snip

                    > I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.
                    >
                    > I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to PHP
                    > MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
                    > Thanks,
                    > -Mike
                    > http://epicroadtrips.us/

                    Overcome your fear and get it into a cms (in this case wordpress). I
                    love wordpress almost as much as notetab itself. It allows you to
                    manipulate, work on layout free of content, etc. Go for it!
                  • WV-Mike
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 4, 2008
                      At 09:47 AM 1/2/2008 , Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                      >snip
                      > >
                      > > I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.
                      > >
                      > > I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to PHP
                      > > MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
                      > > Thanks,
                      > > -Mike
                      > > <http://epicroadtrips.us/>http://epicroadtrips.us/
                      > >
                      >Overcome your fear and get it into a cms (in this case wordpress). I
                      >love wordpress almost as much as notetab itself. It allows you to
                      >manipulate, work on layout free of content, etc. Go for it!

                      Hi Don,
                      I am not sure WordPress will work for me.
                      I will need many fields for data entry and it looks to me like WP is
                      limited to what is available from the Dahsboard.

                      But, I don't really know much about this.

                      -Mike

                    • Dave
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 4, 2008
                        Hi
                        I still think you should try a single column down one side for say your bird
                        types ,first page what's going on then click on bird type or do it by day
                        you then scroll to which ever day one wants each page would have the goings
                        on of that day or say bird. ?
                        THANKYOU DAVE M

                        > At 09:47 AM 1/2/2008 , Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                        >>snip
                        >> >
                        >> > I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.
                        >> >
                        >> > I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to
                        >> > PHP
                        >> > MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
                        >> > Thanks,
                        >> > -Mike
                        >> > <http://epicroadtrips.us/>http://epicroadtrips.us/
                        >> >
                        >>Overcome your fear and get it into a cms (in this case wordpress). I
                        >>love wordpress almost as much as notetab itself. It allows you to
                        >>manipulate, work on layout free of content, etc. Go for it!
                        >
                        > Hi Don,
                        > I am not sure WordPress will work for me.
                        > I will need many fields for data entry and it looks to me like WP is
                        > limited to what is available from the Dahsboard.
                        >
                        > But, I don't really know much about this.
                        >
                        > -Mike

                      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 4, 2008
                          WV-Mike wrote:
                          > At 09:47 AM 1/2/2008 , Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                          >> snip
                          >>> I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.
                          >>>
                          >>> I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to PHP
                          >>> MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
                          >>> Thanks,
                          >>> -Mike
                          >>> <http://epicroadtrips.us/>http://epicroadtrips.us/
                          >>>
                          >> Overcome your fear and get it into a cms (in this case wordpress). I
                          >> love wordpress almost as much as notetab itself. It allows you to
                          >> manipulate, work on layout free of content, etc. Go for it!
                          >
                          > Hi Don,
                          > I am not sure WordPress will work for me.
                          > I will need many fields for data entry and it looks to me like WP is
                          > limited to what is available from the Dahsboard.
                          >
                          > But, I don't really know much about this.
                          >
                          > -Mike

                          Well Mike,

                          I don't know your context, but WordPress and many other CMS systems
                          allow custom variables, so you can create the fields that you need.

                          Don
                        • WV-Mike
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 4, 2008
                            At 02:01 PM 1/4/2008 , you wrote:
                            >Well Mike,
                            >
                            >I don't know your context, but WordPress and many other CMS systems
                            >allow custom variables, so you can create the fields that you need.

                            Okey-Doke.
                            Will keep looking into this.
                            -Mike