MySql question(s)

  • WV-Mike
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
      Greetings,

      Up until now I have had only very superficial interaction with MySql via
      Word Press on the server.
      Can anyone tell me if data entered in Excel or Access can be imported into
      MySql?

      I want to start work on the database fields and entering the data.
      As of yet I do not know how to create a MySql database and I want to do the
      grunt work of data entry without being connected to a server.

      I have lots of material I hope to eventually have in a CMS - PHP/MySql web
      pages.

      See: http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/dad-transcribe/service/text/ for a sampler
      of the material.

      Thanks,
      -Mike

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
        Mike wrote:
        >Can anyone tell me if data entered in Excel or Access can be imported into
        >MySql?

        <http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?79,1888,1888>

        A Happy New Year to everyone!
        (Better early than not at all...)
        Lotta
      • Bob Janes
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
          Hi Mike,

          WV-Mike wrote:
          > Can anyone tell me if data entered in Excel or Access can be imported into
          MySql?

          You can get the free MySQL Migration Toolkit from
          http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html this will import from
          other databases into MySQL.

          May not be the easiest way though, if you're setting up a MySQL/PHP based
          CMS it may be as simple to cut and paste over.

          Bob
        • WV-Mike
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
            At 05:47 PM 12/30/2007 , you wrote:
            >Hi Mike,
            >
            >WV-Mike wrote:
            > > Can anyone tell me if data entered in Excel or Access can be imported into
            >MySql?
            >
            >You can get the free MySQL Migration Toolkit from
            >http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html this will import from
            >other databases into MySQL.
            >
            >May not be the easiest way though, if you're setting up a MySQL/PHP based
            >CMS it may be as simple to cut and paste over.

            Hi Bob,
            I think you may be right about the cut and paste over.
            Probably easiest for a non nerd like me!

            Thanks,
            -Mike

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
              Hi
              why don't you use otl or similar format ,something akin to frames eg. "days
              down one side" scroll to which every one you want ,one click you see the
              hole day or bird type ?
              THANKYOU DAVE M

              >> > Can anyone tell me if data entered in Excel or Access can be imported
              >> > into
              >>MySql?
              >>
              >>You can get the free MySQL Migration Toolkit from
              >>http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html this will import from
              >>other databases into MySQL.
              >>
              >>May not be the easiest way though, if you're setting up a MySQL/PHP based
              >>CMS it may be as simple to cut and paste over.
              >

              > Hi Bob,
              > I think you may be right about the cut and paste over.
              > Probably easiest for a non nerd like me!
              >
              > Thanks,
              > -Mike

            • WV-Mike
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                At 08:45 AM 12/31/2007 , you wrote:
                >Hi
                >why don't you use otl or similar format ,something akin to frames eg. "days
                >down one side" scroll to which every one you want ,one click you see the
                >hole day or bird type ?
                >THANKYOU DAVE M

                Hi Dave,

                I was hoping to have it in some sort of format where a query could be done
                by year/month/day state, location, common name, family/genus/species/variant.
                This would include lists as well as journal entries and travelogues and all
                his other writings as well.
                A monumental project from my point of vies as it all has to be first
                transcribed to even get started.

                He kept records from the early forties until 2007, the year of his death.
                http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/dad/obit/

                - Mike
                http://epicroadtrips.us/

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                  Hi
                  I still like the other ways but I do wish you luck it looks a lot of work ?
                  THANKYOU DAVE M happy new year

                  >>why don't you use otl or similar format ,something akin to frames eg.
                  >>"days
                  >>down one side" scroll to which every one you want ,one click you see the
                  >>hole day or bird type ?
                  >>THANKYOU DAVE M
                  >
                  > Hi Dave,
                  >
                  > I was hoping to have it in some sort of format where a query could be done
                  > by year/month/day state, location, common name,
                  > family/genus/species/variant.
                  > This would include lists as well as journal entries and travelogues and
                  > all
                  > his other writings as well.
                  > A monumental project from my point of vies as it all has to be first
                  > transcribed to even get started.
                  >
                  > He kept records from the early forties until 2007, the year of his death.
                  > http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/dad/obit/
                  >
                  > - Mike
                  > http://epicroadtrips.us/

                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 1, 2008
                    Bob Janes wrote:
                    > Hi Mike,
                    >
                    > WV-Mike wrote:
                    >> Can anyone tell me if data entered in Excel or Access can be imported into
                    > MySql?

                    If you have data in the right format it is easy to use phpmyadmin to
                    import it to your database.
                    I also have written clips to take info from an excel spreadsheet and
                    simply enter it into wordpress one entry at a time. This is better
                    because one entry into wordpress may make entries in three or four
                    different tables as there are interrelationships.
                  • WV-Mike
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
                      At 10:56 PM 1/1/2008 , you wrote:

                      >Bob Janes wrote:
                      > > Hi Mike,
                      > >
                      > > WV-Mike wrote:
                      > >> Can anyone tell me if data entered in Excel or Access can be imported into
                      > > MySql?
                      >
                      >If you have data in the right format it is easy to use phpmyadmin to
                      >import it to your database.

                      I am not too swift on this stuff right now, but will have to be at some point.

                      >I also have written clips to take info from an excel spreadsheet and
                      >simply enter it into wordpress one entry at a time. This is better
                      >because one entry into wordpress may make entries in three or four
                      >different tables as there are interrelationships.

                      I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.

                      I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to PHP
                      MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
                      Thanks,
                      -Mike
                      http://epicroadtrips.us/

                      YOUR HELP IS NEEDED !!

                      Please click on National Geographic link to cast a VOTE
                      for Blackwater Canyon as America's next National Park!

                      See full story in May 2004 Edition of
                      National Geographic Adventure Magazine
                      on sale at news stands now.

                      Voting link also available at Friends of Blackwater
                      http://www.saveblackwater.org/
                      Help make the vision of Blackwater Canyon National Park a reality.

                      Please forward this e-mail to your friends, and encourage them to vote for
                      Blackwater Canyon in the
                      National Geographic Adventure Magazine Poll
                      http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0405/parks_poll.html
                      for the next National Park in the United States.

                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
                        snip

                        > I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.
                        >
                        > I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to PHP
                        > MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
                        > Thanks,
                        > -Mike
                        > http://epicroadtrips.us/

                        Overcome your fear and get it into a cms (in this case wordpress). I
                        love wordpress almost as much as notetab itself. It allows you to
                        manipulate, work on layout free of content, etc. Go for it!
                      • WV-Mike
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 4, 2008
                          At 09:47 AM 1/2/2008 , Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                          >snip
                          > >
                          > > I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.
                          > >
                          > > I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to PHP
                          > > MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
                          > > Thanks,
                          > > -Mike
                          > > <http://epicroadtrips.us/>http://epicroadtrips.us/
                          > >
                          >Overcome your fear and get it into a cms (in this case wordpress). I
                          >love wordpress almost as much as notetab itself. It allows you to
                          >manipulate, work on layout free of content, etc. Go for it!

                          Hi Don,
                          I am not sure WordPress will work for me.
                          I will need many fields for data entry and it looks to me like WP is
                          limited to what is available from the Dahsboard.

                          But, I don't really know much about this.

                          -Mike

                        • Dave
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 4, 2008
                            Hi
                            I still think you should try a single column down one side for say your bird
                            types ,first page what's going on then click on bird type or do it by day
                            you then scroll to which ever day one wants each page would have the goings
                            on of that day or say bird. ?
                            THANKYOU DAVE M

                            > At 09:47 AM 1/2/2008 , Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                            >>snip
                            >> >
                            >> > I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.
                            >> >
                            >> > I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to
                            >> > PHP
                            >> > MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
                            >> > Thanks,
                            >> > -Mike
                            >> > <http://epicroadtrips.us/>http://epicroadtrips.us/
                            >> >
                            >>Overcome your fear and get it into a cms (in this case wordpress). I
                            >>love wordpress almost as much as notetab itself. It allows you to
                            >>manipulate, work on layout free of content, etc. Go for it!
                            >
                            > Hi Don,
                            > I am not sure WordPress will work for me.
                            > I will need many fields for data entry and it looks to me like WP is
                            > limited to what is available from the Dahsboard.
                            >
                            > But, I don't really know much about this.
                            >
                            > -Mike

                          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 4, 2008
                              WV-Mike wrote:
                              > At 09:47 AM 1/2/2008 , Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                              >> snip
                              >>> I think for nowI will just put up my dads material as simple web pages.
                              >>>
                              >>> I do not want to take the chance of doing a bunch of work related to PHP
                              >>> MySQL and then have it be for nothing.
                              >>> Thanks,
                              >>> -Mike
                              >>> <http://epicroadtrips.us/>http://epicroadtrips.us/
                              >>>
                              >> Overcome your fear and get it into a cms (in this case wordpress). I
                              >> love wordpress almost as much as notetab itself. It allows you to
                              >> manipulate, work on layout free of content, etc. Go for it!
                              >
                              > Hi Don,
                              > I am not sure WordPress will work for me.
                              > I will need many fields for data entry and it looks to me like WP is
                              > limited to what is available from the Dahsboard.
                              >
                              > But, I don't really know much about this.
                              >
                              > -Mike

                              Well Mike,

                              I don't know your context, but WordPress and many other CMS systems
                              allow custom variables, so you can create the fields that you need.

                              Don
                            • WV-Mike
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 4, 2008
                                At 02:01 PM 1/4/2008 , you wrote:
                                >Well Mike,
                                >
                                >I don't know your context, but WordPress and many other CMS systems
                                >allow custom variables, so you can create the fields that you need.

                                Okey-Doke.
                                Will keep looking into this.
                                -Mike