Re: [NTO] Re: [NTB] PDF files

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 23, 2007
      Basically PDF are Read Only, and therefor Acrobat (or the Adobe
      Programs that create PDF Docs) should not be used as a Word Processor.
      Simply because the ability to edit the documents is limited.

      This may be great for creating a printable format, or just doing
      announcements, newsletters, etc. but for people who need to work with
      the text, a word processing format is much better.

      I prefer NoteTab. It does most of what i want to do. If I have to, I use
      OpenOffice.

      --

      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
      ~~

      Blacksheep Ancestors in your Family?
      'Blacksheep Genealogy' is a registered California Sole Proprietorship.
      The International Black Sheep Society of Genealogists is a Social Organization Identified by its members using IBSSG after their signatures.

      Visit http://ibssg.org/

      For The Blacksheep website, Montgomery County, Putnam County, and Fountain County USGenWeb sites. MORE...
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 23, 2007
        Jeff Scism wrote:
        > Basically PDF are Read Only, and therefor Acrobat (or the Adobe
        > Programs that create PDF Docs) should not be used as a Word Processor.

        Exactly, and read-only is what the final distributed version of anything
        should be. If you don't set silly restrictions, that can be circumvented
        in any case, limited extraction of content is possible as graphics or
        ASCII, but no real editing.

        It is totally the wrong format for work in progress. That said I have
        been asked to provide scans bound together as PDF rather than the raw
        images and having done it I find myself much preferring that for reading
        or scanning (or printing) pages of stuff, but I keep the raw images for
        everything else.

        Axel
      • David Smart
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 23, 2007
          Yes, I think you're saying what I'm saying.

          It's funny, I really like NoteTab, but I don't seem to use it a fraction of
          what others do. The only time I ever seem to have text files is when a
          program requires them (e.g. batch file, configuration files). For almost
          everything else I do, I seem to need formatting (e.g. Word) or data
          manipulation (e.g. Access or Excel). Very rarely simple text files.
          (Actually, I would use Excel at least 5:1 over Word or Access or NoteTab or
          anything else.)

          Regards, Dave S

          > Basically PDF are Read Only, and therefor Acrobat (or the Adobe
          > Programs that create PDF Docs) should not be used as a Word Processor.
          > Simply because the ability to edit the documents is limited.
          >
          > This may be great for creating a printable format, or just doing
          > announcements, newsletters, etc. but for people who need to work with
          > the text, a word processing format is much better.
          >
          > I prefer NoteTab. It does most of what i want to do. If I have to, I use
          > OpenOffice.
          >

          > David Smart wrote:
          >>
          >> > I agree. Creating PDFs for organizations or clubs should be banned!
          >>
          >> I'm probably missing your point here, but ...
          >>
          >> PDFs are great for organisations with wide and varied membership -
          >> e.g. for
          >> clubs. It means that a formatted document can be distributed with the
          >> knowledge that everyone can see it or print it without needing to have
          >> your
          >> particular brand or level of office software, or needing to buy some
          >> special
          >> display software. This benefit increases when the people producing
          >> separate
          >> documents for distribution are, themselves, possibly using different
          >> software.
          >>
          >> PDF should not be used for data storage (and I don't think it was ever
          >> intended by its designers that it should). If this is your complaint,
          >> then - yes I certainly agree. But not just for clubs, etc. It should
          >> never
          >> be used to hold data anywhere.
          >>
          >> Regards, Dave S
          >>

          > --
          >

          > Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
          > ~~
          >
          > Blacksheep Ancestors in your Family?
          > 'Blacksheep Genealogy' is a registered California Sole Proprietorship.
          > The International Black Sheep Society of Genealogists is a Social
          > Organization Identified by its members using IBSSG after their
          > signatures.
          >
          > Visit http://ibssg.org/
          >
          > For The Blacksheep website, Montgomery County, Putnam County, and Fountain
          > County USGenWeb sites. MORE...
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 23, 2007
            David Smart wrote:
            > Yes, I think you're saying what I'm saying.
            >
            > It's funny, I really like NoteTab, but I don't seem to use it a fraction of
            > what others do. The only time I ever seem to have text files is when a
            > program requires them (e.g. batch file, configuration files). For almost
            > everything else I do, I seem to need formatting (e.g. Word) or data
            > manipulation (e.g. Access or Excel). Very rarely simple text files.
            > (Actually, I would use Excel at least 5:1 over Word or Access or NoteTab or
            > anything else.)
            >
            > Regards, Dave S
            I use notetab over excel all day, every day, for data manipulation. It
            sorts, combines, strips, etc. etc.
          • buralex@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
              "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said on Dec 23, 2007 22:07
              -0500 (in part):
              > > (Actually, I would use Excel at least 5:1 over Word or Access or
              > NoteTab or
              > > anything else.)
              > >
              > > Regards, Dave S
              > I use notetab over excel all day, every day, for data manipulation. It
              > sorts, combines, strips, etc. etc.
              Dave, Don (just got back from visiting relatives over Christmas so I'm a
              couple of days behind)

              Notetab vs. Excel vs. Notetab - my frequent usage patterns is actually
              back-and-forth from Excel to Notetab.
              Copy a selection grid from Excel, paste into Notetab, manipulate with
              Regexp and/or clips, copy-ALL and paste back to Excel (sometimes several
              round trips to accomplish various sub-tasks)

              Very infrequently I dip into a little Basic from within Excel

              The two programs are (IMO) a perfect match!

              Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail