Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [NTO] Re: [NTB] PDF files

Expand Messages
  • Axel Berger
    ... Quite. Everything you describe here are purposes for which PDF is particularly inappropiate. ... Not the only one. I often scan whole books and a graphics
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      "Jeff@..." wrote:
      > it depends on the content and the reason for exchanging
      > the document.

      Quite. Everything you describe here are purposes for which PDF is
      particularly inappropiate.

      > The ONLY nice thing about PDF is that it allows printing
      > without hassle

      Not the only one. I often scan whole books and a graphics program is not
      the best way to quickly skim the contents. For that I prefer PDF scaled
      (in the viewer) just big enough to be just legible, and when I've found
      the part I want I go to the raw scan and extract exactly the bit I need.

      One additional hint though:
      For OCR JPG definitely is NOT the format you want to use. For best
      results scan directly to black and white and save as a two colour (i.e.
      black and white, i.e. one bit per pixel) PNG. Just open any JPG with
      scanned text and enlarge the area around a single letter and you'll see,
      why OCRs struggle with it.

      > unfortunately he used password
      > protection, and the docs will not open.

      If you want you may send me one of those files and I'll try to break it.
      Don't expect too much though.

      Axel
    • Jeff Scism
      ... I agree completely, but the average submitter saves everything in JPG, image wise. Sometimes you have to work with what you get. JPEGs are crappy when it
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        Axel Berger wrote:
        >
        > "
        > One additional hint though:
        > For OCR JPG definitely is NOT the format you want to use. For best
        > results scan directly to black and white and save as a two colour (i.e.
        > black and white, i.e. one bit per pixel) PNG. Just open any JPG with
        > scanned text and enlarge the area around a single letter and you'll see,
        > why OCRs struggle with it.
        >








        I agree completely, but the average submitter saves everything in JPG,
        image wise. Sometimes you have to work with what you get. JPEGs are
        crappy when it comes to pixelation.

        Jeff
      • Jeff@ibssg.org
        ... I haven t tried yet, but someday I will run through some of the seemingly related keywords and see if any work. His research was quite controversial
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          Axel Berger wrote:
          >
          > If you want you may send me one of those files and I'll try to break it.
          > Don't expect too much though.
          >
          > Axel
          >
          I haven't tried yet, but someday I will run through some of the
          'seemingly related' keywords and see if any work.

          His research was quite controversial within the family, and he didn't
          want the parts that were speculation released, so I have back burnered
          the project.

          --


          Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
          ~~

          Blacksheep Ancestors in your Family?
          'Blacksheep Genealogy' is a registered California Sole Proprietorship.
          The International Black Sheep Society of Genealogists is a Social Organization Identified by its members using IBSSG after their signatures.

          Visit http://ibssg.org/

          For The Blacksheep website, Montgomery County, Putnam County, and Fountain County USGenWeb sites. MORE...
        • Brian Binder
          Yep, PDF is quite handy for handing off information where others don t have the appropriate program either. This is true for Microsoft Project, as an example.
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 21, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            Yep, PDF is quite handy for handing off information where others don't
            have the appropriate program either. This is true for Microsoft
            Project, as an example. I use that for making projects all the time,
            yet 95% of my clients don't own it. With a PDF, they can view it all
            and stay up-to-date on statuses, as necessary.

            > Another researcher (who is NOW deceased) sent me his entire research
            > library on PDF, 30-40 years of his work, unfortunately he used password
            > protection, and the docs will not open. He didn't include the password,
            > and I didn't discover it until after he had passed away. Perhaps someday
            > I will be able to crack those files.

            Not like I'm looking for this to be some circumvention post, but if
            you'd like I can likely get the files unprotected for you. I say it
            with more than a good amount of confidence. I'll offer that I've never
            seen a PDF that I couldn't break the protection on safely. Happens to
            plenty of my clients after they put a password on and somehow forget it.
          • Pat Drummond
            ... days ... from ... several ... I agree. Creating PDFs for organizations or clubs should be banned! What software can pull text out of protected PDFs? I d
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 23, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <jeff@...> wrote:
              > One of the "features" of the portable Document format in the early
              days
              > of the format was advertised as "copy protection" preventing people
              from
              > copying from your PDF documents. Since that time there have been
              several
              > PDF capable programs designed by others which enable access to the
              > contents of a PDF document.
              >
              > In an age where data must not only be communicated, but manipulated,
              > this design is a built in flaw. That is why people have tried to work
              > around it.
              >
              > In my view, PDFs are a hassle. if you have to exert yourself to be able
              > to extract from them, it is more like TV than computing.

              I agree. Creating PDFs for organizations or clubs should be banned!
              What software can pull text out of 'protected' PDFs? I'd love to be
              able to do that!
            • David Smart
              ... I m probably missing your point here, but ... PDFs are great for organisations with wide and varied membership - e.g. for clubs. It means that a formatted
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 23, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                > I agree. Creating PDFs for organizations or clubs should be banned!

                I'm probably missing your point here, but ...

                PDFs are great for organisations with wide and varied membership - e.g. for
                clubs. It means that a formatted document can be distributed with the
                knowledge that everyone can see it or print it without needing to have your
                particular brand or level of office software, or needing to buy some special
                display software. This benefit increases when the people producing separate
                documents for distribution are, themselves, possibly using different
                software.

                PDF should not be used for data storage (and I don't think it was ever
                intended by its designers that it should). If this is your complaint,
                then - yes I certainly agree. But not just for clubs, etc. It should never
                be used to hold data anywhere.

                Regards, Dave S

                ----- Original Message -----
                From: "Pat Drummond" <pat@...>
                To: <ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com>
                Sent: Monday, December 24, 2007 6:49 AM
                Subject: [NTO] Re: [NTB] PDF files


                > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <jeff@...> wrote:
                >> One of the "features" of the portable Document format in the early
                > days
                >> of the format was advertised as "copy protection" preventing people
                > from
                >> copying from your PDF documents. Since that time there have been
                > several
                >> PDF capable programs designed by others which enable access to the
                >> contents of a PDF document.
                >>
                >> In an age where data must not only be communicated, but manipulated,
                >> this design is a built in flaw. That is why people have tried to work
                >> around it.
                >>
                >> In my view, PDFs are a hassle. if you have to exert yourself to be able
                >> to extract from them, it is more like TV than computing.
                >
                > I agree. Creating PDFs for organizations or clubs should be banned!
                > What software can pull text out of 'protected' PDFs? I'd love to be
                > able to do that!
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >
                >
                >
              • Jeff Scism
                Basically PDF are Read Only, and therefor Acrobat (or the Adobe Programs that create PDF Docs) should not be used as a Word Processor. Simply because the
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 23, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  Basically PDF are Read Only, and therefor Acrobat (or the Adobe
                  Programs that create PDF Docs) should not be used as a Word Processor.
                  Simply because the ability to edit the documents is limited.

                  This may be great for creating a printable format, or just doing
                  announcements, newsletters, etc. but for people who need to work with
                  the text, a word processing format is much better.

                  I prefer NoteTab. It does most of what i want to do. If I have to, I use
                  OpenOffice.



                  David Smart wrote:
                  >
                  > > I agree. Creating PDFs for organizations or clubs should be banned!
                  >
                  > I'm probably missing your point here, but ...
                  >
                  > PDFs are great for organisations with wide and varied membership -
                  > e.g. for
                  > clubs. It means that a formatted document can be distributed with the
                  > knowledge that everyone can see it or print it without needing to have
                  > your
                  > particular brand or level of office software, or needing to buy some
                  > special
                  > display software. This benefit increases when the people producing
                  > separate
                  > documents for distribution are, themselves, possibly using different
                  > software.
                  >
                  > PDF should not be used for data storage (and I don't think it was ever
                  > intended by its designers that it should). If this is your complaint,
                  > then - yes I certainly agree. But not just for clubs, etc. It should
                  > never
                  > be used to hold data anywhere.
                  >
                  > Regards, Dave S
                  >

                  --


                  Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                  ~~

                  Blacksheep Ancestors in your Family?
                  'Blacksheep Genealogy' is a registered California Sole Proprietorship.
                  The International Black Sheep Society of Genealogists is a Social Organization Identified by its members using IBSSG after their signatures.

                  Visit http://ibssg.org/

                  For The Blacksheep website, Montgomery County, Putnam County, and Fountain County USGenWeb sites. MORE...
                • Axel Berger
                  ... Exactly, and read-only is what the final distributed version of anything should be. If you don t set silly restrictions, that can be circumvented in any
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 23, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Jeff Scism wrote:
                    > Basically PDF are Read Only, and therefor Acrobat (or the Adobe
                    > Programs that create PDF Docs) should not be used as a Word Processor.

                    Exactly, and read-only is what the final distributed version of anything
                    should be. If you don't set silly restrictions, that can be circumvented
                    in any case, limited extraction of content is possible as graphics or
                    ASCII, but no real editing.

                    It is totally the wrong format for work in progress. That said I have
                    been asked to provide scans bound together as PDF rather than the raw
                    images and having done it I find myself much preferring that for reading
                    or scanning (or printing) pages of stuff, but I keep the raw images for
                    everything else.

                    Axel
                  • David Smart
                    Yes, I think you re saying what I m saying. It s funny, I really like NoteTab, but I don t seem to use it a fraction of what others do. The only time I ever
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 23, 2007
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Yes, I think you're saying what I'm saying.

                      It's funny, I really like NoteTab, but I don't seem to use it a fraction of
                      what others do. The only time I ever seem to have text files is when a
                      program requires them (e.g. batch file, configuration files). For almost
                      everything else I do, I seem to need formatting (e.g. Word) or data
                      manipulation (e.g. Access or Excel). Very rarely simple text files.
                      (Actually, I would use Excel at least 5:1 over Word or Access or NoteTab or
                      anything else.)

                      Regards, Dave S

                      ----- Original Message -----
                      From: "Jeff Scism" <jeff@...>
                      To: <ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com>
                      Sent: Monday, December 24, 2007 9:10 AM
                      Subject: Re: [NTO] Re: [NTB] PDF files


                      > Basically PDF are Read Only, and therefor Acrobat (or the Adobe
                      > Programs that create PDF Docs) should not be used as a Word Processor.
                      > Simply because the ability to edit the documents is limited.
                      >
                      > This may be great for creating a printable format, or just doing
                      > announcements, newsletters, etc. but for people who need to work with
                      > the text, a word processing format is much better.
                      >
                      > I prefer NoteTab. It does most of what i want to do. If I have to, I use
                      > OpenOffice.
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > David Smart wrote:
                      >>
                      >> > I agree. Creating PDFs for organizations or clubs should be banned!
                      >>
                      >> I'm probably missing your point here, but ...
                      >>
                      >> PDFs are great for organisations with wide and varied membership -
                      >> e.g. for
                      >> clubs. It means that a formatted document can be distributed with the
                      >> knowledge that everyone can see it or print it without needing to have
                      >> your
                      >> particular brand or level of office software, or needing to buy some
                      >> special
                      >> display software. This benefit increases when the people producing
                      >> separate
                      >> documents for distribution are, themselves, possibly using different
                      >> software.
                      >>
                      >> PDF should not be used for data storage (and I don't think it was ever
                      >> intended by its designers that it should). If this is your complaint,
                      >> then - yes I certainly agree. But not just for clubs, etc. It should
                      >> never
                      >> be used to hold data anywhere.
                      >>
                      >> Regards, Dave S
                      >>
                      >
                      > --
                      >
                      >
                      > Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                      > ~~
                      >
                      > Blacksheep Ancestors in your Family?
                      > 'Blacksheep Genealogy' is a registered California Sole Proprietorship.
                      > The International Black Sheep Society of Genealogists is a Social
                      > Organization Identified by its members using IBSSG after their
                      > signatures.
                      >
                      > Visit http://ibssg.org/
                      >
                      > For The Blacksheep website, Montgomery County, Putnam County, and Fountain
                      > County USGenWeb sites. MORE...
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >
                      >
                      >
                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      ... I use notetab over excel all day, every day, for data manipulation. It sorts, combines, strips, etc. etc.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 23, 2007
                      • 0 Attachment
                        David Smart wrote:
                        > Yes, I think you're saying what I'm saying.
                        >
                        > It's funny, I really like NoteTab, but I don't seem to use it a fraction of
                        > what others do. The only time I ever seem to have text files is when a
                        > program requires them (e.g. batch file, configuration files). For almost
                        > everything else I do, I seem to need formatting (e.g. Word) or data
                        > manipulation (e.g. Access or Excel). Very rarely simple text files.
                        > (Actually, I would use Excel at least 5:1 over Word or Access or NoteTab or
                        > anything else.)
                        >
                        > Regards, Dave S
                        I use notetab over excel all day, every day, for data manipulation. It
                        sorts, combines, strips, etc. etc.
                      • buralex@gmail.com
                        Don - HtmlFixIt.com said on Dec 23, 2007 22:07 ... Dave, Don (just got back from visiting relatives over Christmas so I m a couple of
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
                        • 0 Attachment
                          "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said on Dec 23, 2007 22:07
                          -0500 (in part):
                          > > (Actually, I would use Excel at least 5:1 over Word or Access or
                          > NoteTab or
                          > > anything else.)
                          > >
                          > > Regards, Dave S
                          > I use notetab over excel all day, every day, for data manipulation. It
                          > sorts, combines, strips, etc. etc.
                          Dave, Don (just got back from visiting relatives over Christmas so I'm a
                          couple of days behind)

                          Notetab vs. Excel vs. Notetab - my frequent usage patterns is actually
                          back-and-forth from Excel to Notetab.
                          Copy a selection grid from Excel, paste into Notetab, manipulate with
                          Regexp and/or clips, copy-ALL and paste back to Excel (sometimes several
                          round trips to accomplish various sub-tasks)

                          Very infrequently I dip into a little Basic from within Excel

                          The two programs are (IMO) a perfect match!

                          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
                          --



                          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.