Re: [NTB] Did it AGAIN!

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2007
      ken winston caine wrote:
      > fw:
      >
      > Is there an option in Notetab for having it store two copies of a
      > file, one copy each to a different drive?
      >
      > If so, I want to do that with several crucial files, so that I always
      > would have (hopefully) a decent copy on my c drive.
      >
      > RE: cellphone. Depends upon how close is close. I live off the grid
      > on solar electric out where the busses don't run and there are no
      > phone lines. So I use a wireless PC Card modem using Sprint digital
      > cellular broadband (not extremely satisfactory and definitely
      > not "broadband" here, 18 miles from the tower). That has the modem
      > about 12 to 13 inches from the drive. (Modem has a little pop-up
      > antenna.) Cellphone is hanging in a holster about 2-1/2 feet from the
      > drive. It, though, is plugged into an external antenna (a yagi) that
      > is pole-mounted outdoors, maybe 12 feet from the computer.
      >
      > Best,
      > kwc

      Perhaps the discussion should move to off topic as notetab@ is reserved
      for basic notetab discussion.

      I'll copy off topic to get it started over there. Granted Ken is asking
      about a feature in Notetab, but I think we are beyond basic discussion
      at this point.

      Regards.
    • fw7oaks
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2007
        --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

        > > Is there an option in Notetab for having it store two copies of a
        > > file, one copy each to a different drive?

        Going to let one of the others answer that one, I'm not proficient enough
        myself to answer that properly.

        > > RE: cellphone. Depends upon how close is close. I live off the grid
        > > on solar electric out where the busses don't run and there are no
        > > phone lines. So I use a wireless PC Card modem using Sprint digital
        > > cellular broadband (not extremely satisfactory and definitely
        > > not "broadband" here, 18 miles from the tower). That has the modem
        > > about 12 to 13 inches from the drive. (Modem has a little pop-up
        > > antenna.) Cellphone is hanging in a holster about 2-1/2 feet from the
        > > drive. It, though, is plugged into an external antenna (a yagi) that
        > > is pole-mounted outdoors, maybe 12 feet from the computer.

        Nothing there that should cause any problems: I know somebody who had problems
        when he put his new USB drive on the shelf where he kept his cell phone. Yes
        you guessed, he put the cell phone back in the usual place but this time on top
        of the drive. If the phone was active he could be certain rubbish would be
        written to the disk due to poor screening of the disk's electronics.

        Sounds like, as you say, a duff drive.

        fw
      • buralex@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 18, 2007
          "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said on Nov 18, 2007 17:14
          -0500 (in part):
          > ken winston caine wrote:
          >
          >> fw:
          >>
          >> Is there an option in Notetab for having it store two copies of a
          >> file, one copy each to a different drive?

          Not in Notetab but several programs support "real-time" sync.

          * One from PCMagazine is InstaBack ($8.00) - just google.
          * I'm currently beta-testing SynchroMagik from RoseCity (s/b out by
          the end of the month)
          * Another freeware sync program SyncBack does not appear (based on a
          quick look through it's help pages does not appear to have
          "real-time" sync. but I might have missed.

          If none of these suit try googling real+time+synchronization
          >> If so, I want to do that with several crucial files, so that I always
          >> would have (hopefully) a decent copy on my c drive.

          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 18, 2007
            "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
            > ken winston caine wrote:
            > > Is there an option in Notetab for having it store two copies of a
            > > file, one copy each to a different drive?

            You can rig up a lot of things in clips, but are you really sure that's
            what you want? I far more often make a hash of things myself than I have
            a drive die on me unexpectedly, so it's good to have yesterday's version
            available to restore to.

            I keep my files on a notebook and a desktop and use Totalcommander to
            synchronize the two before and after editing stuff.

            Axel
          • WV-Mike
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 19, 2007
              At 12:22 AM 11/19/2007 , Axel Berger wrote:
              >I keep my files on a notebook and a desktop and use Totalcommander to
              >synchronize the two before and after editing stuff.
              >
              >Axel

              I use the free ware version of SyncBack
              http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html#freeware

              -Mike

              ----------

              Check it out:
              www.EpicRoadTrips.us

              ~~~
              NOTICE:
              Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have
              read this email without warning, warrant or notice and also without any
              judicial or legislative oversight.
              ~~~

            • ken winston caine
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 19, 2007
                Thanks for the tips, everybody.

                I'm back to thinking, at least momentarily, that it's not the drive
                but that my NoteTab Pro version is corrupted. I'm thinking that due
                to the manner in which it malfunctioned yesterday.

                Am going to describe what happened and ask for advice about that back
                on the 'basic' board -- unless there is a 'troubleshooting' board.
                I'll look and if so, join and post it there.

                -kwc