Re: [NTO] Networking, shared folders and security - noob warning

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2007
      David Smart wrote:
      > I get enough viruses in e-mails (say one per week) that
      > virus checking is a must.

      Why? Email is text, pure ASCII. All a virus can do is pollute my screen
      with some meaningless character jumble. Just for fun I even go and open
      some ZIPs I know to be polluted and lo and behold there is an EXE (often
      called *.pdf.exe, but an exe nontheless) in there for all to see. If I
      needed some nanny software to prevent me from actively and purposely
      running that I'd have to ask serious questions about myself.
      And so should you if your OS or your email software are configured to
      open, preview, or run stuff regardless. If not, you've nothing whatever
      to fear.

      Axel
    • David Smart
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2007
        E-mail is not necessarily pure text - it can also be HTML. If you choose
        not to view it that way, then by all means do so, but you are missing half
        the content in some e-mails. I prefer to get full use out of my e-mail
        system.

        And yes it is set to preview. But not to run attached files.

        You might wish to nanny your computer. I prefer to let mine take care of
        itself.

        Regards, Dave S

        PS Yes, I know HTML is text-based, so don't feel a need to point this out.