Re: [NTO] AVG Free woes

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 16, 2007
      > I detest AV software as I find it burdensome, cumbersome and intrusive.

      I run AVG Free. It is not burdensome and it is not cumbersome. Actually,
      it isn't even intrusive - even when it finds a virus. It just goes about
      its work quietly, efficiently, and very cheaply.

      I do not ever do a full virus scan of my computers, unless I have reason to
      suspect that something has slipped past (and I'm always wrong). The
      real-time scanning keeps things out.

      I agree that common sense is the best Anti Virus. Common sense says "be
      protected". Safe computing is certainly a help, but not actually a
      protection.

      I drive carefully, attentively and (I think) reasonably skilfully. But I
      still have car insurance.

      Regards, Dave S

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 16, 2007
        Mike, I too do safe computing (what ever that means) but I still bet Viri
        (plural of virus?). I think your stand is a little outmoded and foolish.

        Hey, nothing personal. Just my oppinion.
        --
        "Good Health means you are dying at the slowest possible rate!!"

        The trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is
        that you very often succeed. - CS Lewis

        "Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to
        accept God's final word on where your lips end." - Jerry Seinfeld

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 17, 2007
          gkluther wrote:
          > I think your stand is a little outmoded and foolish.

          That may well be. But amongst all the people I know and talk to my
          computers are the only ones that have never ever caught a single
          infection of any kind. For the time being that's good enough for me.
          And I don't rely on my hubris alone. Every once in a while I start up
          Kaspersky (I have a current three machine licence) and let it loose
          across all my partitions overnight. The result is always the same and
          quite reassuring - especially since being independant from it my method
          presumably also protects me from those things the AV software does not
          detect.

          If yours catches anything at all, you may assume that for every four or
          so caught it will let one pass - at least that's what all stringent
          tests of such software result in even for the best.

          Axel
        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 17, 2007
            > ... you may assume that for every four or
            > so caught it will let one pass - at least that's what all stringent
            > tests of such software result in even for the best.

            Your source for this statistic is?

            Actually, AV software will stop everything it knows about and nothing it
            doesn't know about yet. The response times for new AV signatures is quick,
            and my own computers have never been subjected to a virus that was found
            "after the event". So, either I am getting viruses that are too trivial to
            justify protection, or the response times of the AV companies beats the
            propagation times of viruses to the sort of Internet contact my computer
            has.

            > But amongst all the people I know and talk to my
            > computers are the only ones that have never ever caught a single
            > infection of any kind.

            I can't equate this with your apparent suggestion to others that they
            shouldn't bother with AV software. Surely your experience indicates that
            others should very definitely be running AV software, as they clearly don't
            follow the other stringencies that keep your computer clean.

            Regards, Dave S

            >> I think your stand is a little outmoded and foolish.
            >
            > That may well be. But amongst all the people I know and talk to my
            > computers are the only ones that have never ever caught a single
            > infection of any kind. For the time being that's good enough for me.
            > And I don't rely on my hubris alone. Every once in a while I start up
            > Kaspersky (I have a current three machine licence) and let it loose
            > across all my partitions overnight. The result is always the same and
            > quite reassuring - especially since being independant from it my method
            > presumably also protects me from those things the AV software does not
            > detect.
            >
            > If yours catches anything at all, you may assume that for every four or
            > so caught it will let one pass - at least that's what all stringent
            > tests of such software result in even for the best.
            >
            > Axel
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • WV-Mike
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 17, 2007
              At 11:09 PM 11/16/2007 , gkluther wrote:
              >Mike, I too do safe computing (what ever that means) but I still bet Viri
              >(plural of virus?). I think your stand is a little outmoded and foolish.
              >
              >Hey, nothing personal. Just my oppinion.

              Not a problem. I have heard that a lot over the years.
              But, I must doing something right - no
              <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_of_virus>viruses in 20 years.

              In fact, I cannot help but wonder why it is such a pervasive problem.
              How are all these people getting all these viruses?

              -Mike

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 17, 2007
                David Smart wrote:
                > Your source for this statistic is?

                The respected German magazine c't regularly tests these things. You're
                right, viruses in the strict sense are usually caught reliably, but not
                so for trojans, spyware and some other stuff.

                > I can't equate this with your apparent suggestion to others that
                > they shouldn't bother with AV software. Surely your experience
                > indicates that others should very definitely be running AV software,
                > as they clearly don't follow the other stringencies that keep your
                > computer clean.

                Here I agree, with the proviso, that I hold my way to be better and
                proven to be so. But you're right, most people refuse to access the net
                the way I do: "Nothing works anymore".

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 17, 2007
                  WV-Mike wrote:
                  > How are all these people getting all these viruses?

                  You and I think as one on this issue. The same goes for phishing. If my
                  bank really sent me any letters in the atrocious grammar those phishers
                  use, I'd have a very serious word with the manager and probably take my
                  custom elsewhere.

                  Axel
                • David Smart
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 17, 2007
                    > If my bank really sent me any letters in the atrocious grammar
                    > those phishers use ...

                    And the misspellings.

                    This had me puzzled for a while. I.e. why not run a spell-checker and/or
                    get someone with a better understanding of English involved.

                    It was suggested to me that it is deliberate, to make the job harder for the
                    anti-spam software. I don't know if that's true or not, but I do know that
                    my copy of PopFile is running at 98.64% accuracy on the 10,000 messages that
                    have come in to my desktop computer since I last reset its statistics at the
                    beginning of September - so the ruse clearly doesn't work very well.

                    (Annoyingly, my spam content is running at over 47% of e-mails currently -
                    due to an absolute flood of spam messages to the unmoderated, and unowned,
                    C++ Yahoo group.)

                    Regards, Dave S

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 18, 2007
                      Thank you, Stan, Dave and others.

                      >The signature .... again from the control center highlight 'E-mail scanner' &
                      >click on the properties button. In the window that pops up, click on the
                      >configure button. The next window will have a section called 'E-mail
                      >scanning',
                      >uncheck the 2 boxes labeled 'Certify mail' ..... no more AVG signatures.

                      I must have been more tired than I thought, but that's where I looked
                      and I didn't see the check boxes. I had been installing software all
                      day, so I admit I was a little cross eyed. Before your post came in I
                      uninstalled AVG, so I can't have a look right now. I decided it was
                      time to test the free AVs out there again. ATM I'm trying Avast, but
                      I may very well go back to AVG, so your instructions aren't wasted.

                      Lotta
                    • Gerard Huijing
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 19, 2007
                        gkluther wrote:

                        > Mike, I too do safe computing (what ever that means) but I still bet Viri
                        > (plural of virus?).

                        FYI

                        The Latin plural of 'virus' is 'virus'. Without a context you cannot see
                        the difference.

                        Our plural, so to speak, for 'virus' is 'viruses', just as 'apparatuses'
                        is the plural of 'apparatus'.

                        'Viri' represents forms of a completely different word, while
                        'apparati', which I have come across many times on the internet, means
                        nothing at all.

                        Cheers,
                        Gerard

                        --
                        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                        2312 ZD Leiden
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 19, 2007
                          Gerard Huijing wrote:
                          > The Latin plural of 'virus' is 'virus'.

                          Wiktionary is of a different opinion and so is my old dictionary. The
                          genitive is -i and thus so would be the plural if there were one - but
                          with the Latin meaning poison mucus or slime there isn't.
                          Thus viruses is correct.

                          Axel
                        • Gerard Huijing
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                            Axel Berger wrote:

                            > Wiktionary is of a different opinion and so is my old dictionary. The
                            > genitive is -i and thus so would be the plural if there were one - but
                            > with the Latin meaning poison mucus or slime there isn't.
                            > Thus viruses is correct.
                            >
                            > Axel

                            You are right, Axel, thanks for the correction.
                            I knew that virus was an oddball word in that it is neuter, not
                            masculine as one might think at first sight (this can be proved from
                            existing texts).

                            I wrongly thought that virus was of the fourth, not the second declension.
                            Hence plural virus, hence the analogy with apparatus, where apparati is
                            definitely wrong.

                            Although the plural viri of virus is nowhere to be found, that plural
                            form is at least *theoretically* possible; it is not as impossible as
                            apparati is.

                            But this is slowly becoming alt.lang.lat stuff, and too off topic even
                            for the NTB off topic list. :-)

                            Cheers,
                            Gerard

                            --
                            Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                            2312 ZD Leiden
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 23, 2007
                              Hi Gerad,

                              <<But this is slowly becoming alt.lang.lat stuff, and too off topic even for
                              the NTB off topic list. :-) >>

                              Maybe "too off topic", but entertaining, nevertheless.

                              Ciao,

                              Ray Shapp