Re: [NTO] Networking, shared folders and security - noob warning

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2007
      Some (not all) routers include a firewall. Mine doesn't, so I run firewall
      software. The router I put in a customer's premises does, and has been very
      effective.

      However, routers/firewalls do not - of themselves - keep viruses out.
      Viruses frequently arrive in e-mails, for instance, and routers of course
      let them through. I get enough viruses in e-mails (say one per week) that
      virus checking is a must. If you are not running real-time virus checking,
      you are probably living on borrowed time.

      I run AVG Free version and it works very well.

      I also run SpyBot and AdAware occasionally (I don't have them resident) to
      clean up the tracking cookies and other rubbish that accumulates from normal
      web browsing of perfectly respectable Internet sites.

      Regards, Dave S

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2007
        David Smart wrote:
        > I get enough viruses in e-mails (say one per week) that
        > virus checking is a must.

        Why? Email is text, pure ASCII. All a virus can do is pollute my screen
        with some meaningless character jumble. Just for fun I even go and open
        some ZIPs I know to be polluted and lo and behold there is an EXE (often
        called *.pdf.exe, but an exe nontheless) in there for all to see. If I
        needed some nanny software to prevent me from actively and purposely
        running that I'd have to ask serious questions about myself.
        And so should you if your OS or your email software are configured to
        open, preview, or run stuff regardless. If not, you've nothing whatever
        to fear.

        Axel
      • David Smart
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 17, 2007
          E-mail is not necessarily pure text - it can also be HTML. If you choose
          not to view it that way, then by all means do so, but you are missing half
          the content in some e-mails. I prefer to get full use out of my e-mail
          system.

          And yes it is set to preview. But not to run attached files.

          You might wish to nanny your computer. I prefer to let mine take care of
          itself.

          Regards, Dave S

          PS Yes, I know HTML is text-based, so don't feel a need to point this out.