Re: [NTO] Networking, shared folders and security - noob warning

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 15, 2007
      buralex@... wrote:
      > a user was having slow opening problems with files in shared
      > folders (from Notetab - I think in both 4.9x and 5.x but not from
      > Notepad or Word). They were never resolved but the workaround
      > discovered was to map the foreign drives to a drive letter.

      I do not map folders but whole partitions though not as drive letters
      but as \\Machine\F\Folder\...
      Due to the same directory structure I have inadvertantly worked on files
      on the distant machine instead on the local ones several times and I
      never noticed any difference in speed. It may be that W98SE has less
      overhead to slow stuff down.

      Axel
    • WV-Mike
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 16, 2007
        At 12:21 PM 11/15/2007 , you wrote:

        >loro wrote:
        > > The machines are running XP Home and 2K Pro, they are connected
        > > through a router and I've shared a folder on the 2K box.
        >
        >No, actually the router makes it safer than connecting just one machine
        >directly, as it hides the computer's IP address from outside, so noone
        >can address it directly.
        >
        >I run no firewall whatever and no virus scanner (except every few months
        >to check) and my machines are sparkling clean.
        >I share all partitions on all drives so that I can access anything from
        >anywhere and on top of that my WLAN is open as a matter of principle. I
        >am sure that any determined hacker inside my WLAN can crack my password
        >protected access but so far I've been safe from outside. Axel

        Ditto here.
        I depend on my router to act as a hardware firewall.
        I run no antivirus software.

        I run Spybot S&D to help with clean-ups and the freeware version of Zone
        Alarm to help with connection control.

        Be careful if you are running a server like WAMP(Apache) as this will allow
        a direct connection to your network from the outside.
        -Mike
        p.s. Take the above with a grain of salt as I know just enough to be
        dangerous. :0)
      • Alan C
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 17, 2007
          On Nov 15, 2007 5:14 AM, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
          [ . . ]
          > to minimize that risk? The machines are running XP Home and 2K Pro,
          > they are connected through a router and I've shared a folder on the 2K box.

          At the Sacramento, California area of USA

          I have at&t-yahoo dsl internet (my ISP)

          When I signed up, I opted for their 2wire gateway device rather than
          the only other option was a dsl modem.

          Said 2wire unit is my connection to the internet; this unit contains
          or is a dsl modem, a router, and a firewall. Said firewall only
          allows back in (tracks connections) what had originally been initiated
          from within (my side or lan side, not internet side). Further, any
          initiation attempt that comes from the internet side is dropped (I set
          it in stealth mode) -- dropped means like as if there is no computer
          there ie the term stealth. The 2wire can accept up to four computers
          on wired lan or however many on wireless (I have its wireless turned
          off, I don't use wireless)

          Can set/specify the 2wire for a server (a certan and specified server
          computer from my lan to the internet), I rarely serve ftp to the
          internet and it works. (2wire has many settings).

          Not endorsing 2wire though it suffices so far, adequately, for me (not
          had a prob).

          So far you've only mentioned router (which does nat and nat also
          sometimes is called masquerade).

          I like the extra security layer of having a firewall that's located
          between my LAN and the internet. However, I have seen arguments back
          and forth (whether or not nat suffices or if firewall is needed too)
          and I don't know enough to know if it the firewall is needed.

          You've really not said much about what your internet
          connection/gateway device(s) (other than that a router is on your
          LAN).

          http://www.dslreports.com/forum/2wire

          Many forums there if interested.

          google (if interested) for the likes of:

          network nat

          network masquerade

          network internet firewall

          windows netbios

          windows network

          windows lan security

          linux networking model

          I'm run Linux boxes on my LAN. I ocasionally fire up my Linux hosted
          Qemu virtual machine wherein runs MS Win 2K as the guest operating
          system. Win 2k connects to internet through the virtual machine,
          ultimately through Linux.

          --
          Alan.
        • M.M.
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 17, 2007
            Hello,
            I would like to suggest what I did: I have my computers connected to each
            other,
            but only one is capable to connect to the Internet, and then it is
            disconnected from
            the other by disabeling the network card (adapter) which connects both of
            them -
            so the other one does not "see" the Internet.
            When I have to work with both, I disconnect from the Internet, run Antivirus
            check
            on the "Internet Computer" and then enable the network card and the
            connection
            between both computers.
            Well, it is a little "complicated" but it suits me.
            Mordechai

            On 11/15/07, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

            > Hi!
            >
            > I've always had only 1 computer before, so I'm totally confused about
            > these things. I've figured out how to share a folder and how to
            > create a mapped network drive. What I'm wondering is if there are any
            > security issues I should be aware of. I'm not concerned about
            > security on my home network. It's me on all computers. But I wonder
            > if doing this means
            > the risk to get hacked or infected with something from the Internet
            > increases. If it does, is there something I should do or know about
            > to minimize that risk? The machines are running XP Home and 2K Pro,
            > they are connected through a router and I've shared a folder on the 2K
            > box.
            >
            > BTW in my situation, with no threats from within, is there any
            > advantage of doing the mapped network drive thing instead of just
            > sharing the folder?
            >
            > TIA
            > Lotta

          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 18, 2007
              There used to be an issue causing a long delay when opening files from a
              shared drive, but this was fixed in NoteTab v5.3. Is what you're talking
              about below something else?

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/

            • buralex@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 18, 2007
                That must have been it - I didn't notice the fix and don't currently
                have a networked system to check with.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 18, 2007
                  Thanks for the answers. The opinions seem to vary greatly on this. I
                  think I'm more confused than before, actually. Or I'm just thick. ;-)

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 18, 2007
                    Alec wrote:
                    >Lotta: I forget who the original poster was but a couple of months (or
                    >more) back a user was having slow opening problems with files in shared
                    >folders (from Notetab - I think in both 4.9x and 5.x but not from
                    >Notepad or Word). They were never resolved but the workaround discovered
                    >was to map the foreign drives to a drive letter. Apparently this
                    >resolved the problems.
                    >
                    >If you've got time to experiment it would be interesting to see if you
                    >can confirm this problem/solution.

                    Yes, it's extremely slow. Notetab almost freezes and it doesn't
                    happen to Notepad. But it isn't because of the shared folder per se.
                    I opened files from there in Notetab when I created that share, big
                    ones too, and I didn't notice it was slow then. What happened
                    in-between was a change of firewall. The new one (Comodo) is more
                    restrictive and I had to configure a Trusted Zone to be able to open
                    the shared folder at all. Soooo, I turned the FW off, and then
                    Notetab opened files on the other computer as blistering fast as it
                    opens them on this one.

                    Sorry, can't confirm. Still, why does it happen only to Notetab, one wonders?