Re: [NTO] AVG Free woes

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 15, 2007
      In my 'Windoze days' I used AVG and always did manual updates. I know
      that the option is there but can't remember where - try right clicking
      on the various functions. AVG-free has a forum at
      http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/ which I always found helpful.

      --- loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I upgraded AVG. Now it seems to do automatic updates and I don't find
      >
      > a way to turn it off. I don't think the free version supported
      > automatic updates at all earlier. I don't find a way to turn off the
      > signature it adds to email either. Is there a way to turn those
      > things off?
      >
      > To my defence - the Help file is terse and organized after the menu
      > choices and it doesn't have a search function. If I knew where the
      > options were I wouldn't need the Help file. I've turned scanning of
      > outgoing email off. Let's see if it adds its sig anyway. It pollutes
      > all incoming mail with it.
      >
      > Lotta

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • K B
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 15, 2007
        I have used AVG for just forever. I have always had the auto updates
        but it makes me feel warm/fuzzy.

        Karen

      • Stan Blazejewski
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 16, 2007
          On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 01:40:38 -0800, you wrote:

          >Hi,
          >
          >I upgraded AVG. Now it seems to do automatic updates and I don't find
          >a way to turn it off. I don't think the free version supported
          >automatic updates at all earlier. I don't find a way to turn off the
          >signature it adds to email either. Is there a way to turn those things off?

          OK, to turn off auto update ..... open the control center, click on scheduler
          then click on the scheduled tasks button. Highlight 'Update plan in basic mode'
          then the 'edit schedule' button, uncheck 'periodically check for Internet
          updates' ............ done.

          The signature .... again from the control center highlight 'E-mail scanner' &
          click on the properties button. In the window that pops up, click on the
          configure button. The next window will have a section called 'E-mail scanning',
          uncheck the 2 boxes labeled 'Certify mail' ..... no more AVG signatures.

          Hope this helps.

          stanblaz@...
          www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 16, 2007
              It's in the scheduler - where it always has been.

              Right click the taskbar icon and launch the Control Centre. (Double-click
              might do that for you, depending on how it's configured.) In the white pane
              you'll probably see a list of components - one per row. (This is a
              different view of the components that came in some time ago.) Single-click
              Scheduler. Then hit the Scheduled Tasks button. There is a task called
              "Update plan in basic mode".

              I don't think you can delete this task, but you can certainly change its
              schedule and/or turn off "Periodically check for Internet updates".

              AVG Free has always checked daily for updates, by default. Frankly I can't
              think why you wouldn't want to do so.

              Regards, Dave S

              > I upgraded AVG. Now it seems to do automatic updates and I don't find
              > a way to turn it off. I don't think the free version supported
              > automatic updates at all earlier. I don't find a way to turn off the
              > signature it adds to email either. Is there a way to turn those things
              > off?
              >
              > To my defence - the Help file is terse and organized after the menu
              > choices and it doesn't have a search function. If I knew where the
              > options were I wouldn't need the Help file. I've turned scanning of
              > outgoing email off. Let's see if it adds its sig anyway. It pollutes
              > all incoming mail with it.
              >
              > Lotta
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • WV-Mike
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 16, 2007
                At 04:52 AM 11/16/2007 , David Smart wrote:
                >AVG Free has always checked daily for updates, by default. Frankly I can't
                >think why you wouldn't want to do so.

                I detest AV software as I find it burdensome, cumbersome and intrusive.

                To my knowledge I have not had a PC virus since my first one - nearly 20
                years ago.

                IMHO - Common since and safe computing is the best Anti Virus.

                -Mike

                _________________________________
                Check it out:
                www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                ~~~
                To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we
                are to stand by the President , right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
                servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
                -Theodore Roosevelt ( 1859-1919) 2rth President of the United States and
                Winner of the 1906 Noble Peace Prize.
                ~~~
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 16, 2007
                  WV-Mike wrote:
                  > IMHO - Common since and safe computing is the best Anti Virus.

                  Yes, and a bit of sense helps too.
                  (Sorry, tried to resist but failed.)

                  Axel
                • David Smart
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 16, 2007
                    > I detest AV software as I find it burdensome, cumbersome and intrusive.

                    I run AVG Free. It is not burdensome and it is not cumbersome. Actually,
                    it isn't even intrusive - even when it finds a virus. It just goes about
                    its work quietly, efficiently, and very cheaply.

                    I do not ever do a full virus scan of my computers, unless I have reason to
                    suspect that something has slipped past (and I'm always wrong). The
                    real-time scanning keeps things out.

                    I agree that common sense is the best Anti Virus. Common sense says "be
                    protected". Safe computing is certainly a help, but not actually a
                    protection.

                    I drive carefully, attentively and (I think) reasonably skilfully. But I
                    still have car insurance.

                    Regards, Dave S

                    > At 04:52 AM 11/16/2007 , David Smart wrote:
                    >>AVG Free has always checked daily for updates, by default. Frankly I can't
                    >>think why you wouldn't want to do so.
                    >

                    > I detest AV software as I find it burdensome, cumbersome and intrusive.
                    >
                    > To my knowledge I have not had a PC virus since my first one - nearly 20
                    > years ago.
                    >
                    > IMHO - Common since and safe computing is the best Anti Virus.
                    >
                    > -Mike
                    >

                    > _________________________________
                    > Check it out:
                    > www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                    > ~~~
                    > To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we
                    > are to stand by the President , right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic
                    > and
                    > servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
                    > -Theodore Roosevelt ( 1859-1919) 2rth President of the United States and
                    > Winner of the 1906 Noble Peace Prize.
                    > ~~~
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • gkluther
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 16, 2007
                      Mike, I too do safe computing (what ever that means) but I still bet Viri
                      (plural of virus?). I think your stand is a little outmoded and foolish.

                      Hey, nothing personal. Just my oppinion.
                      --
                      "Good Health means you are dying at the slowest possible rate!!"

                      The trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is
                      that you very often succeed. - CS Lewis

                      "Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to
                      accept God's final word on where your lips end." - Jerry Seinfeld

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 17, 2007
                        gkluther wrote:
                        > I think your stand is a little outmoded and foolish.

                        That may well be. But amongst all the people I know and talk to my
                        computers are the only ones that have never ever caught a single
                        infection of any kind. For the time being that's good enough for me.
                        And I don't rely on my hubris alone. Every once in a while I start up
                        Kaspersky (I have a current three machine licence) and let it loose
                        across all my partitions overnight. The result is always the same and
                        quite reassuring - especially since being independant from it my method
                        presumably also protects me from those things the AV software does not
                        detect.

                        If yours catches anything at all, you may assume that for every four or
                        so caught it will let one pass - at least that's what all stringent
                        tests of such software result in even for the best.

                        Axel
                      • David Smart
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 17, 2007
                          > ... you may assume that for every four or
                          > so caught it will let one pass - at least that's what all stringent
                          > tests of such software result in even for the best.

                          Your source for this statistic is?

                          Actually, AV software will stop everything it knows about and nothing it
                          doesn't know about yet. The response times for new AV signatures is quick,
                          and my own computers have never been subjected to a virus that was found
                          "after the event". So, either I am getting viruses that are too trivial to
                          justify protection, or the response times of the AV companies beats the
                          propagation times of viruses to the sort of Internet contact my computer
                          has.

                          > But amongst all the people I know and talk to my
                          > computers are the only ones that have never ever caught a single
                          > infection of any kind.

                          I can't equate this with your apparent suggestion to others that they
                          shouldn't bother with AV software. Surely your experience indicates that
                          others should very definitely be running AV software, as they clearly don't
                          follow the other stringencies that keep your computer clean.

                          Regards, Dave S

                          >> I think your stand is a little outmoded and foolish.
                          >
                          > That may well be. But amongst all the people I know and talk to my
                          > computers are the only ones that have never ever caught a single
                          > infection of any kind. For the time being that's good enough for me.
                          > And I don't rely on my hubris alone. Every once in a while I start up
                          > Kaspersky (I have a current three machine licence) and let it loose
                          > across all my partitions overnight. The result is always the same and
                          > quite reassuring - especially since being independant from it my method
                          > presumably also protects me from those things the AV software does not
                          > detect.
                          >
                          > If yours catches anything at all, you may assume that for every four or
                          > so caught it will let one pass - at least that's what all stringent
                          > tests of such software result in even for the best.
                          >
                          > Axel
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • WV-Mike
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 17, 2007
                            At 11:09 PM 11/16/2007 , gkluther wrote:
                            >Mike, I too do safe computing (what ever that means) but I still bet Viri
                            >(plural of virus?). I think your stand is a little outmoded and foolish.
                            >
                            >Hey, nothing personal. Just my oppinion.

                            Not a problem. I have heard that a lot over the years.
                            But, I must doing something right - no
                            <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_of_virus>viruses in 20 years.

                            In fact, I cannot help but wonder why it is such a pervasive problem.
                            How are all these people getting all these viruses?

                            -Mike

                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 17, 2007
                              David Smart wrote:
                              > Your source for this statistic is?

                              The respected German magazine c't regularly tests these things. You're
                              right, viruses in the strict sense are usually caught reliably, but not
                              so for trojans, spyware and some other stuff.

                              > I can't equate this with your apparent suggestion to others that
                              > they shouldn't bother with AV software. Surely your experience
                              > indicates that others should very definitely be running AV software,
                              > as they clearly don't follow the other stringencies that keep your
                              > computer clean.

                              Here I agree, with the proviso, that I hold my way to be better and
                              proven to be so. But you're right, most people refuse to access the net
                              the way I do: "Nothing works anymore".

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 17, 2007
                                WV-Mike wrote:
                                > How are all these people getting all these viruses?

                                You and I think as one on this issue. The same goes for phishing. If my
                                bank really sent me any letters in the atrocious grammar those phishers
                                use, I'd have a very serious word with the manager and probably take my
                                custom elsewhere.

                                Axel
                              • David Smart
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 17, 2007
                                  > If my bank really sent me any letters in the atrocious grammar
                                  > those phishers use ...

                                  And the misspellings.

                                  This had me puzzled for a while. I.e. why not run a spell-checker and/or
                                  get someone with a better understanding of English involved.

                                  It was suggested to me that it is deliberate, to make the job harder for the
                                  anti-spam software. I don't know if that's true or not, but I do know that
                                  my copy of PopFile is running at 98.64% accuracy on the 10,000 messages that
                                  have come in to my desktop computer since I last reset its statistics at the
                                  beginning of September - so the ruse clearly doesn't work very well.

                                  (Annoyingly, my spam content is running at over 47% of e-mails currently -
                                  due to an absolute flood of spam messages to the unmoderated, and unowned,
                                  C++ Yahoo group.)

                                  Regards, Dave S

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 18, 2007
                                    Thank you, Stan, Dave and others.

                                    >The signature .... again from the control center highlight 'E-mail scanner' &
                                    >click on the properties button. In the window that pops up, click on the
                                    >configure button. The next window will have a section called 'E-mail
                                    >scanning',
                                    >uncheck the 2 boxes labeled 'Certify mail' ..... no more AVG signatures.

                                    I must have been more tired than I thought, but that's where I looked
                                    and I didn't see the check boxes. I had been installing software all
                                    day, so I admit I was a little cross eyed. Before your post came in I
                                    uninstalled AVG, so I can't have a look right now. I decided it was
                                    time to test the free AVs out there again. ATM I'm trying Avast, but
                                    I may very well go back to AVG, so your instructions aren't wasted.

                                    Lotta
                                  • Gerard Huijing
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 19, 2007
                                      gkluther wrote:

                                      > Mike, I too do safe computing (what ever that means) but I still bet Viri
                                      > (plural of virus?).

                                      FYI

                                      The Latin plural of 'virus' is 'virus'. Without a context you cannot see
                                      the difference.

                                      Our plural, so to speak, for 'virus' is 'viruses', just as 'apparatuses'
                                      is the plural of 'apparatus'.

                                      'Viri' represents forms of a completely different word, while
                                      'apparati', which I have come across many times on the internet, means
                                      nothing at all.

                                      Cheers,
                                      Gerard

                                      --
                                      Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                                      2312 ZD Leiden
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 19, 2007
                                        Gerard Huijing wrote:
                                        > The Latin plural of 'virus' is 'virus'.

                                        Wiktionary is of a different opinion and so is my old dictionary. The
                                        genitive is -i and thus so would be the plural if there were one - but
                                        with the Latin meaning poison mucus or slime there isn't.
                                        Thus viruses is correct.

                                        Axel
                                      • Gerard Huijing
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                                          Axel Berger wrote:

                                          > Wiktionary is of a different opinion and so is my old dictionary. The
                                          > genitive is -i and thus so would be the plural if there were one - but
                                          > with the Latin meaning poison mucus or slime there isn't.
                                          > Thus viruses is correct.
                                          >
                                          > Axel

                                          You are right, Axel, thanks for the correction.
                                          I knew that virus was an oddball word in that it is neuter, not
                                          masculine as one might think at first sight (this can be proved from
                                          existing texts).

                                          I wrongly thought that virus was of the fourth, not the second declension.
                                          Hence plural virus, hence the analogy with apparatus, where apparati is
                                          definitely wrong.

                                          Although the plural viri of virus is nowhere to be found, that plural
                                          form is at least *theoretically* possible; it is not as impossible as
                                          apparati is.

                                          But this is slowly becoming alt.lang.lat stuff, and too off topic even
                                          for the NTB off topic list. :-)

                                          Cheers,
                                          Gerard

                                          --
                                          Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                                          2312 ZD Leiden
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 23, 2007
                                            Hi Gerad,

                                            <<But this is slowly becoming alt.lang.lat stuff, and too off topic even for
                                            the NTB off topic list. :-) >>

                                            Maybe "too off topic", but entertaining, nevertheless.

                                            Ciao,

                                            Ray Shapp