Re: [NTO] Networking, shared folders and security - noob warning

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 15, 2007
      loro wrote:
      > The machines are running XP Home and 2K Pro, they are connected
      > through a router and I've shared a folder on the 2K box.

      No, actually the router makes it safer than connecting just one machine
      directly, as it hides the computer's IP address from outside, so noone
      can address it directly.

      I run no firewall whatever and no virus scanner (except every few months
      to check) and my machines are sparkling clean.
      I share all partitions on all drives so that I can access anything from
      anywhere and on top of that my WLAN is open as a matter of principle. I
      am sure that any determined hacker inside my WLAN can crack my password
      protected access but so far I've been safe from outside.

      Axel
    • buralex@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 15, 2007
        loro <loro-spam01-@...> said on Nov 15, 2007 8:14 -0500 (in part):
        > BTW in my situation, with no threats from within, is there any
        > advantage of doing the mapped network drive thing instead of just
        > sharing the folder?
        Lotta: I forget who the original poster was but a couple of months (or
        more) back a user was having slow opening problems with files in shared
        folders (from Notetab - I think in both 4.9x and 5.x but not from
        Notepad or Word). They were never resolved but the workaround discovered
        was to map the foreign drives to a drive letter. Apparently this
        resolved the problems.

        If you've got time to experiment it would be interesting to see if you
        can confirm this problem/solution.

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 15, 2007
          buralex@... wrote:
          > a user was having slow opening problems with files in shared
          > folders (from Notetab - I think in both 4.9x and 5.x but not from
          > Notepad or Word). They were never resolved but the workaround
          > discovered was to map the foreign drives to a drive letter.

          I do not map folders but whole partitions though not as drive letters
          but as \\Machine\F\Folder\...
          Due to the same directory structure I have inadvertantly worked on files
          on the distant machine instead on the local ones several times and I
          never noticed any difference in speed. It may be that W98SE has less
          overhead to slow stuff down.

          Axel
        • WV-Mike
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 16, 2007
            At 12:21 PM 11/15/2007 , you wrote:

            >loro wrote:
            > > The machines are running XP Home and 2K Pro, they are connected
            > > through a router and I've shared a folder on the 2K box.
            >
            >No, actually the router makes it safer than connecting just one machine
            >directly, as it hides the computer's IP address from outside, so noone
            >can address it directly.
            >
            >I run no firewall whatever and no virus scanner (except every few months
            >to check) and my machines are sparkling clean.
            >I share all partitions on all drives so that I can access anything from
            >anywhere and on top of that my WLAN is open as a matter of principle. I
            >am sure that any determined hacker inside my WLAN can crack my password
            >protected access but so far I've been safe from outside. Axel

            Ditto here.
            I depend on my router to act as a hardware firewall.
            I run no antivirus software.

            I run Spybot S&D to help with clean-ups and the freeware version of Zone
            Alarm to help with connection control.

            Be careful if you are running a server like WAMP(Apache) as this will allow
            a direct connection to your network from the outside.
            -Mike
            p.s. Take the above with a grain of salt as I know just enough to be
            dangerous. :0)
          • Alan C
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 17, 2007
              On Nov 15, 2007 5:14 AM, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
              [ . . ]
              > to minimize that risk? The machines are running XP Home and 2K Pro,
              > they are connected through a router and I've shared a folder on the 2K box.

              At the Sacramento, California area of USA

              I have at&t-yahoo dsl internet (my ISP)

              When I signed up, I opted for their 2wire gateway device rather than
              the only other option was a dsl modem.

              Said 2wire unit is my connection to the internet; this unit contains
              or is a dsl modem, a router, and a firewall. Said firewall only
              allows back in (tracks connections) what had originally been initiated
              from within (my side or lan side, not internet side). Further, any
              initiation attempt that comes from the internet side is dropped (I set
              it in stealth mode) -- dropped means like as if there is no computer
              there ie the term stealth. The 2wire can accept up to four computers
              on wired lan or however many on wireless (I have its wireless turned
              off, I don't use wireless)

              Can set/specify the 2wire for a server (a certan and specified server
              computer from my lan to the internet), I rarely serve ftp to the
              internet and it works. (2wire has many settings).

              Not endorsing 2wire though it suffices so far, adequately, for me (not
              had a prob).

              So far you've only mentioned router (which does nat and nat also
              sometimes is called masquerade).

              I like the extra security layer of having a firewall that's located
              between my LAN and the internet. However, I have seen arguments back
              and forth (whether or not nat suffices or if firewall is needed too)
              and I don't know enough to know if it the firewall is needed.

              You've really not said much about what your internet
              connection/gateway device(s) (other than that a router is on your
              LAN).

              http://www.dslreports.com/forum/2wire

              Many forums there if interested.

              google (if interested) for the likes of:

              network nat

              network masquerade

              network internet firewall

              windows netbios

              windows network

              windows lan security

              linux networking model

              I'm run Linux boxes on my LAN. I ocasionally fire up my Linux hosted
              Qemu virtual machine wherein runs MS Win 2K as the guest operating
              system. Win 2k connects to internet through the virtual machine,
              ultimately through Linux.

              --
              Alan.
            • M.M.
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 17, 2007
                Hello,
                I would like to suggest what I did: I have my computers connected to each
                other,
                but only one is capable to connect to the Internet, and then it is
                disconnected from
                the other by disabeling the network card (adapter) which connects both of
                them -
                so the other one does not "see" the Internet.
                When I have to work with both, I disconnect from the Internet, run Antivirus
                check
                on the "Internet Computer" and then enable the network card and the
                connection
                between both computers.
                Well, it is a little "complicated" but it suits me.
                Mordechai

                On 11/15/07, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

                > Hi!
                >
                > I've always had only 1 computer before, so I'm totally confused about
                > these things. I've figured out how to share a folder and how to
                > create a mapped network drive. What I'm wondering is if there are any
                > security issues I should be aware of. I'm not concerned about
                > security on my home network. It's me on all computers. But I wonder
                > if doing this means
                > the risk to get hacked or infected with something from the Internet
                > increases. If it does, is there something I should do or know about
                > to minimize that risk? The machines are running XP Home and 2K Pro,
                > they are connected through a router and I've shared a folder on the 2K
                > box.
                >
                > BTW in my situation, with no threats from within, is there any
                > advantage of doing the mapped network drive thing instead of just
                > sharing the folder?
                >
                > TIA
                > Lotta

              • Eric Fookes
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 18, 2007
                  There used to be an issue causing a long delay when opening files from a
                  shared drive, but this was fixed in NoteTab v5.3. Is what you're talking
                  about below something else?

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/

                • buralex@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 18, 2007
                    That must have been it - I didn't notice the fix and don't currently
                    have a networked system to check with.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 18, 2007
                      Thanks for the answers. The opinions seem to vary greatly on this. I
                      think I'm more confused than before, actually. Or I'm just thick. ;-)

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 18, 2007
                        Alec wrote:
                        >Lotta: I forget who the original poster was but a couple of months (or
                        >more) back a user was having slow opening problems with files in shared
                        >folders (from Notetab - I think in both 4.9x and 5.x but not from
                        >Notepad or Word). They were never resolved but the workaround discovered
                        >was to map the foreign drives to a drive letter. Apparently this
                        >resolved the problems.
                        >
                        >If you've got time to experiment it would be interesting to see if you
                        >can confirm this problem/solution.

                        Yes, it's extremely slow. Notetab almost freezes and it doesn't
                        happen to Notepad. But it isn't because of the shared folder per se.
                        I opened files from there in Notetab when I created that share, big
                        ones too, and I didn't notice it was slow then. What happened
                        in-between was a change of firewall. The new one (Comodo) is more
                        restrictive and I had to configure a Trusted Zone to be able to open
                        the shared folder at all. Soooo, I turned the FW off, and then
                        Notetab opened files on the other computer as blistering fast as it
                        opens them on this one.

                        Sorry, can't confirm. Still, why does it happen only to Notetab, one wonders?