Networking, shared folders and security - noob warning

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 15, 2007
      Hi!

      I've always had only 1 computer before, so I'm totally confused about
      these things. I've figured out how to share a folder and how to
      create a mapped network drive. What I'm wondering is if there are any
      security issues I should be aware of. I'm not concerned about
      security on my home network. It's me on all computers. But I wonder
      if doing this means
      the risk to get hacked or infected with something from the Internet
      increases. If it does, is there something I should do or know about
      to minimize that risk? The machines are running XP Home and 2K Pro,
      they are connected through a router and I've shared a folder on the 2K box.

      BTW in my situation, with no threats from within, is there any
      advantage of doing the mapped network drive thing instead of just
      sharing the folder?

      TIA
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 15, 2007
        loro wrote:
        > The machines are running XP Home and 2K Pro, they are connected
        > through a router and I've shared a folder on the 2K box.

        No, actually the router makes it safer than connecting just one machine
        directly, as it hides the computer's IP address from outside, so noone
        can address it directly.

        I run no firewall whatever and no virus scanner (except every few months
        to check) and my machines are sparkling clean.
        I share all partitions on all drives so that I can access anything from
        anywhere and on top of that my WLAN is open as a matter of principle. I
        am sure that any determined hacker inside my WLAN can crack my password
        protected access but so far I've been safe from outside.

        Axel
      • buralex@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 15, 2007
          loro <loro-spam01-@...> said on Nov 15, 2007 8:14 -0500 (in part):
          > BTW in my situation, with no threats from within, is there any
          > advantage of doing the mapped network drive thing instead of just
          > sharing the folder?
          Lotta: I forget who the original poster was but a couple of months (or
          more) back a user was having slow opening problems with files in shared
          folders (from Notetab - I think in both 4.9x and 5.x but not from
          Notepad or Word). They were never resolved but the workaround discovered
          was to map the foreign drives to a drive letter. Apparently this
          resolved the problems.

          If you've got time to experiment it would be interesting to see if you
          can confirm this problem/solution.

          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 15, 2007
            buralex@... wrote:
            > a user was having slow opening problems with files in shared
            > folders (from Notetab - I think in both 4.9x and 5.x but not from
            > Notepad or Word). They were never resolved but the workaround
            > discovered was to map the foreign drives to a drive letter.

            I do not map folders but whole partitions though not as drive letters
            but as \\Machine\F\Folder\...
            Due to the same directory structure I have inadvertantly worked on files
            on the distant machine instead on the local ones several times and I
            never noticed any difference in speed. It may be that W98SE has less
            overhead to slow stuff down.

            Axel
          • WV-Mike
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 16, 2007
              At 12:21 PM 11/15/2007 , you wrote:

              >loro wrote:
              > > The machines are running XP Home and 2K Pro, they are connected
              > > through a router and I've shared a folder on the 2K box.
              >
              >No, actually the router makes it safer than connecting just one machine
              >directly, as it hides the computer's IP address from outside, so noone
              >can address it directly.
              >
              >I run no firewall whatever and no virus scanner (except every few months
              >to check) and my machines are sparkling clean.
              >I share all partitions on all drives so that I can access anything from
              >anywhere and on top of that my WLAN is open as a matter of principle. I
              >am sure that any determined hacker inside my WLAN can crack my password
              >protected access but so far I've been safe from outside. Axel

              Ditto here.
              I depend on my router to act as a hardware firewall.
              I run no antivirus software.

              I run Spybot S&D to help with clean-ups and the freeware version of Zone
              Alarm to help with connection control.

              Be careful if you are running a server like WAMP(Apache) as this will allow
              a direct connection to your network from the outside.
              -Mike
              p.s. Take the above with a grain of salt as I know just enough to be
              dangerous. :0)
            • Alan C
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 17, 2007
                On Nov 15, 2007 5:14 AM, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
                [ . . ]
                > to minimize that risk? The machines are running XP Home and 2K Pro,
                > they are connected through a router and I've shared a folder on the 2K box.

                At the Sacramento, California area of USA

                I have at&t-yahoo dsl internet (my ISP)

                When I signed up, I opted for their 2wire gateway device rather than
                the only other option was a dsl modem.

                Said 2wire unit is my connection to the internet; this unit contains
                or is a dsl modem, a router, and a firewall. Said firewall only
                allows back in (tracks connections) what had originally been initiated
                from within (my side or lan side, not internet side). Further, any
                initiation attempt that comes from the internet side is dropped (I set
                it in stealth mode) -- dropped means like as if there is no computer
                there ie the term stealth. The 2wire can accept up to four computers
                on wired lan or however many on wireless (I have its wireless turned
                off, I don't use wireless)

                Can set/specify the 2wire for a server (a certan and specified server
                computer from my lan to the internet), I rarely serve ftp to the
                internet and it works. (2wire has many settings).

                Not endorsing 2wire though it suffices so far, adequately, for me (not
                had a prob).

                So far you've only mentioned router (which does nat and nat also
                sometimes is called masquerade).

                I like the extra security layer of having a firewall that's located
                between my LAN and the internet. However, I have seen arguments back
                and forth (whether or not nat suffices or if firewall is needed too)
                and I don't know enough to know if it the firewall is needed.

                You've really not said much about what your internet
                connection/gateway device(s) (other than that a router is on your
                LAN).

                http://www.dslreports.com/forum/2wire

                Many forums there if interested.

                google (if interested) for the likes of:

                network nat

                network masquerade

                network internet firewall

                windows netbios

                windows network

                windows lan security

                linux networking model

                I'm run Linux boxes on my LAN. I ocasionally fire up my Linux hosted
                Qemu virtual machine wherein runs MS Win 2K as the guest operating
                system. Win 2k connects to internet through the virtual machine,
                ultimately through Linux.

                --
                Alan.
              • M.M.
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 17, 2007
                  Hello,
                  I would like to suggest what I did: I have my computers connected to each
                  other,
                  but only one is capable to connect to the Internet, and then it is
                  disconnected from
                  the other by disabeling the network card (adapter) which connects both of
                  them -
                  so the other one does not "see" the Internet.
                  When I have to work with both, I disconnect from the Internet, run Antivirus
                  check
                  on the "Internet Computer" and then enable the network card and the
                  connection
                  between both computers.
                  Well, it is a little "complicated" but it suits me.
                  Mordechai

                  On 11/15/07, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

                  > Hi!
                  >
                  > I've always had only 1 computer before, so I'm totally confused about
                  > these things. I've figured out how to share a folder and how to
                  > create a mapped network drive. What I'm wondering is if there are any
                  > security issues I should be aware of. I'm not concerned about
                  > security on my home network. It's me on all computers. But I wonder
                  > if doing this means
                  > the risk to get hacked or infected with something from the Internet
                  > increases. If it does, is there something I should do or know about
                  > to minimize that risk? The machines are running XP Home and 2K Pro,
                  > they are connected through a router and I've shared a folder on the 2K
                  > box.
                  >
                  > BTW in my situation, with no threats from within, is there any
                  > advantage of doing the mapped network drive thing instead of just
                  > sharing the folder?
                  >
                  > TIA
                  > Lotta

                • Eric Fookes
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 18, 2007
                    There used to be an issue causing a long delay when opening files from a
                    shared drive, but this was fixed in NoteTab v5.3. Is what you're talking
                    about below something else?

                    Eric Fookes
                    http://www.fookes.com/

                  • buralex@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 18, 2007
                      That must have been it - I didn't notice the fix and don't currently
                      have a networked system to check with.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 18, 2007
                        Thanks for the answers. The opinions seem to vary greatly on this. I
                        think I'm more confused than before, actually. Or I'm just thick. ;-)

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 18, 2007
                          Alec wrote:
                          >Lotta: I forget who the original poster was but a couple of months (or
                          >more) back a user was having slow opening problems with files in shared
                          >folders (from Notetab - I think in both 4.9x and 5.x but not from
                          >Notepad or Word). They were never resolved but the workaround discovered
                          >was to map the foreign drives to a drive letter. Apparently this
                          >resolved the problems.
                          >
                          >If you've got time to experiment it would be interesting to see if you
                          >can confirm this problem/solution.

                          Yes, it's extremely slow. Notetab almost freezes and it doesn't
                          happen to Notepad. But it isn't because of the shared folder per se.
                          I opened files from there in Notetab when I created that share, big
                          ones too, and I didn't notice it was slow then. What happened
                          in-between was a change of firewall. The new one (Comodo) is more
                          restrictive and I had to configure a Trusted Zone to be able to open
                          the shared folder at all. Soooo, I turned the FW off, and then
                          Notetab opened files on the other computer as blistering fast as it
                          opens them on this one.

                          Sorry, can't confirm. Still, why does it happen only to Notetab, one wonders?