Re: [NTO] All shortcuts are not created equal - one more question

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2007
      Alec wrote:
      >Shortcuts displayed on the desktop actually come from two sources (just
      >as shortcuts from Start-Programs come from two sources)
      >If in Explorer you go to:
      >
      > * C:\Documents and Settings\<current user>\Desktop and then to
      > * C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

      Problem solved, obviously. But I'm curious. Why do they sort
      themselves between .r and .s?

      Lotta
    • buralex@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2007
        loro <loro-spam01-@...> said on Nov 04, 2007 22:32 -0500 (in part):
        > Alec wrote:
        >
        >> >Shortcuts displayed on the desktop actually come from two sources (just
        >> >as shortcuts from Start-Programs come from two sources)
        >> >If in Explorer you go to:
        >> >
        >> > * C:\Documents and Settings\<current user>\Desktop and then to
        >> > * C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
        >>

        > Problem solved, obviously. But I'm curious. Why do they sort
        > themselves between .r and .s?
        Beats me :-)

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2007
          loro wrote:
          > Also questions beginning "How do
          > I turn off...", "How do I get rid of...." and so on. ;-)

          I can tell you that now:
          Take a boot disk with DOS 7 (from Win98) and run FDISK. After
          partitioning and formatting run a Win98SE setup.

          Axel
        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 4, 2007
            As well as that, there are shortcuts and there are shortcuts. E.g. Internet
            shortcuts are not the same as file shortcuts, which are not the same as
            MS-DOS shortcuts. And I think Office shortcuts are a different beast again.
            If you arrange by type, you'll probably get several groups because of this,
            too.

            Regards, Dave S

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
              On 11/4/07, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
              > Duh. Never occurred to me. Actually, I found mine in All Users.WINNT.
              > All Users was empty. Boy, do I miss Win95! I've clung to 2K forever.
              > Tomorrow I'll get a new machine with XP. Brace yourselves. There may
              > be a lot of screaming and swearing! Also questions beginning "How do
              > I turn off...", "How do I get rid of...." and so on. ;-)

              XP's not too bad, I used 98 for about six years and finally switched
              to XP in 2005 and pretty much everything I could do in 98, I
              eventually worked out in XP and iirc, just about all my programs
              continued to run just fine. I don't think I even had any problems
              with drivers for anything.

              Vista, however was the Windows killer for me. I bought a Macbook six
              months ago and haven't looked back once. *hugs macbook*

              Hey - did you see the PCWorld tests? The laptop that runs Windows
              Vista the fastest is - tada! - a Macbook Pro! LOL!

              http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136649-page,3-c,notebooks/article.html

              (Ironically, my 2 year old WinXP PC died just about a month ago and
              the only WinPC left in my home now is a seven year old PC running
              Win98 which I use just to play card and board games on while watching
              TV. I blame the WinXP PC death on hardware, not XP, I bought a cheap
              store brand and hard drive crashed, I'd never lost a hard drive
              before, the one in the Win98 PC is eight years old! When my Win98 PC
              goes, I'll get a Mac Mini to replace it. And thank god for USB
              external hard drives, I lost nothing, just plugged that USB drive into
              the Mac and transferred anything I didn't already have there.)

              --
              alice ttlg

              Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
              http://www.populli.org/
              Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
              http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
            • alice ttlg
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
                On 11/5/07, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                > I can tell you that now:
                > Take a boot disk with DOS 7 (from Win98) and run FDISK. After
                > partitioning and formatting run a Win98SE setup.

                heehee! I used to reformat and reinstall Win98 about every two years,
                just to clean out the registry and dump old bits of software I wasn't
                using anymore that didn't completely reinstall. Got so good at it, I
                could just about do it in my sleep. Had all the software I regularly
                used on CDs ready to reinstall.

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
                  Axel Berger wrote:
                  >I can tell you that now:
                  >Take a boot disk with DOS 7 (from Win98) and run FDISK. After
                  >partitioning and formatting run a Win98SE setup.

                  Axel, my first impulse was to follow your advice - almost. ;-) I
                  spent an hour disabling things and it still doesn't look as I want.
                  Then I turned it off and started my old machine. I'll save the
                  questions for later. I was supposed to get a switch thing for the
                  screen, keyboard and mouse, but the shop had forgotten about that.
                  Too bothersome to go back and forth between the machines if you have
                  to plug everything in and out manually, so I think I leave it until I
                  get the switch. Something is wrong when you have a brand new machine,
                  and for once a fairly good one too, and you don't even feel eager to
                  play with it, isn't it?