Re: [NTO] All shortcuts are not created equal

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2007
      Alec wrote:
      >Shortcuts displayed on the desktop actually come from two sources (just
      >as shortcuts from Start-Programs come from two sources)
      >If in Explorer you go to:
      >
      > * C:\Documents and Settings\<current user>\Desktop and then to
      > * C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
      >
      >you'll see what I mean.
      >
      >The ones in All Users\Desktop sort first. If you never use another user
      >name you can move them all into one place or take advantage of the dual
      >sources to move some "important" ones either to the beginning or the end.

      Duh. Never occurred to me. Actually, I found mine in All Users.WINNT.
      All Users was empty. Boy, do I miss Win95! I've clung to 2K forever.
      Tomorrow I'll get a new machine with XP. Brace yourselves. There may
      be a lot of screaming and swearing! Also questions beginning "How do
      I turn off...", "How do I get rid of...." and so on. ;-)

      Thanks a bunch, Alec!
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2007
        Alec wrote:
        >Shortcuts displayed on the desktop actually come from two sources (just
        >as shortcuts from Start-Programs come from two sources)
        >If in Explorer you go to:
        >
        > * C:\Documents and Settings\<current user>\Desktop and then to
        > * C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

        Problem solved, obviously. But I'm curious. Why do they sort
        themselves between .r and .s?

        Lotta
      • buralex@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2007
          loro <loro-spam01-@...> said on Nov 04, 2007 22:32 -0500 (in part):
          > Alec wrote:
          >
          >> >Shortcuts displayed on the desktop actually come from two sources (just
          >> >as shortcuts from Start-Programs come from two sources)
          >> >If in Explorer you go to:
          >> >
          >> > * C:\Documents and Settings\<current user>\Desktop and then to
          >> > * C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
          >>

          > Problem solved, obviously. But I'm curious. Why do they sort
          > themselves between .r and .s?
          Beats me :-)

          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 4, 2007
            loro wrote:
            > Also questions beginning "How do
            > I turn off...", "How do I get rid of...." and so on. ;-)

            I can tell you that now:
            Take a boot disk with DOS 7 (from Win98) and run FDISK. After
            partitioning and formatting run a Win98SE setup.

            Axel
          • David Smart
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 4, 2007
              As well as that, there are shortcuts and there are shortcuts. E.g. Internet
              shortcuts are not the same as file shortcuts, which are not the same as
              MS-DOS shortcuts. And I think Office shortcuts are a different beast again.
              If you arrange by type, you'll probably get several groups because of this,
              too.

              Regards, Dave S

              >> Once upon the time, if I rightclicked on the desktop and chose to
              >> Arrange Icons by Type, all shortcuts ended up in the beginning
              >> (top-left). Now I get two bunches of them. One bunch is where it
              >> always has been, to the top left. Another bunch sorts itself between
              >> files with an extension beginning with "r" and files with an
              >> extension beginning with "s". Why is this? Can I change it? All the
              >> shortcuts look the same to me. I don't understand what the difference is.
              > Lotta:
              > Shortcuts displayed on the desktop actually come from two sources (just
              > as shortcuts from Start-Programs come from two sources)
              > If in Explorer you go to:
              >
              > * C:\Documents and Settings\<current user>\Desktop and then to
              > * C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
              >
              > you'll see what I mean.
              >
              > The ones in All Users\Desktop sort first. If you never use another user
              > name you can move them all into one place or take advantage of the dual
              > sources to move some "important" ones either to the beginning or the end.
              >
              > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
              > --

            • alice ttlg
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
                On 11/4/07, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
                > Duh. Never occurred to me. Actually, I found mine in All Users.WINNT.
                > All Users was empty. Boy, do I miss Win95! I've clung to 2K forever.
                > Tomorrow I'll get a new machine with XP. Brace yourselves. There may
                > be a lot of screaming and swearing! Also questions beginning "How do
                > I turn off...", "How do I get rid of...." and so on. ;-)

                XP's not too bad, I used 98 for about six years and finally switched
                to XP in 2005 and pretty much everything I could do in 98, I
                eventually worked out in XP and iirc, just about all my programs
                continued to run just fine. I don't think I even had any problems
                with drivers for anything.

                Vista, however was the Windows killer for me. I bought a Macbook six
                months ago and haven't looked back once. *hugs macbook*

                Hey - did you see the PCWorld tests? The laptop that runs Windows
                Vista the fastest is - tada! - a Macbook Pro! LOL!

                http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136649-page,3-c,notebooks/article.html

                (Ironically, my 2 year old WinXP PC died just about a month ago and
                the only WinPC left in my home now is a seven year old PC running
                Win98 which I use just to play card and board games on while watching
                TV. I blame the WinXP PC death on hardware, not XP, I bought a cheap
                store brand and hard drive crashed, I'd never lost a hard drive
                before, the one in the Win98 PC is eight years old! When my Win98 PC
                goes, I'll get a Mac Mini to replace it. And thank god for USB
                external hard drives, I lost nothing, just plugged that USB drive into
                the Mac and transferred anything I didn't already have there.)

                --
                alice ttlg

                Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
                http://www.populli.org/
                Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
                http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
              • alice ttlg
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
                  On 11/5/07, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                  > I can tell you that now:
                  > Take a boot disk with DOS 7 (from Win98) and run FDISK. After
                  > partitioning and formatting run a Win98SE setup.

                  heehee! I used to reformat and reinstall Win98 about every two years,
                  just to clean out the registry and dump old bits of software I wasn't
                  using anymore that didn't completely reinstall. Got so good at it, I
                  could just about do it in my sleep. Had all the software I regularly
                  used on CDs ready to reinstall.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
                    Axel Berger wrote:
                    >I can tell you that now:
                    >Take a boot disk with DOS 7 (from Win98) and run FDISK. After
                    >partitioning and formatting run a Win98SE setup.

                    Axel, my first impulse was to follow your advice - almost. ;-) I
                    spent an hour disabling things and it still doesn't look as I want.
                    Then I turned it off and started my old machine. I'll save the
                    questions for later. I was supposed to get a switch thing for the
                    screen, keyboard and mouse, but the shop had forgotten about that.
                    Too bothersome to go back and forth between the machines if you have
                    to plug everything in and out manually, so I think I leave it until I
                    get the switch. Something is wrong when you have a brand new machine,
                    and for once a fairly good one too, and you don't even feel eager to
                    play with it, isn't it?