Re: [NTO] Browser Behavior on Mac Computer

  • alice ttlg
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2007
      On 11/4/07, Ray Shapp <ras45@...> wrote:

      > friend is certain that the code is stored in a file called "test.html". He
      >
      > When I store the same text into a file called "test.htm" on my computer

      You save it as .htm, he's saved it as .html, try asking him to save it
      as .htm instead and see if that works. Mac is Unix/Linux based and
      it's possible that the setting to recognize .html as a webpage is
      somehow missing (this kind of thing can also happen on Linux
      webservers, they have to be told to process .html files the same as
      .htm files).

      Other than that, I'm not sure. You could try taking out the doctype.
      And - you're sending him this file to save locally? If you put it on
      a website, can he see it properly using the url to the website?

      I'm on a Macbook and have no problem displaying locally-saved files
      with either .htm or .html in Firefox v2.0.0.9 (don't have IE on here
      so I can't test that).

      --
      alice ttlg

      Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
      http://www.populli.org/
      Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
      http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2007
        Hi fw and alice,

        <<Mac has the file properties set as open with TextEdit>>

        Thanks for the help. I haven't heard back from my friend, but your suggestions
        look very promising. I also asked him to create several separate htm documents
        to see whether this fix is global. I.e., that it needs to be made only once
        for universal application to all files that have the ".htm" extension.

        << If you put it on a website, can he see it properly using the url to the
        website?>>

        Yes, his browsers work normally for pages already on the web.

        <<You save it as .htm, he's saved it as .html,>>

        Yes, I have already mentioned that some web software expects to deal with
        three-character extensions only. I have also warned him about the
        case-sensitivity of Unix-based servers.

        Your help is much appreciated!

        Ray Shapp