Browser Behavior on Mac Computer

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2007
      Hello All,

      I sent the email below to the HTML group, but it's really not a HTML question.
      I think everyone will agree the HTML code is ok. I would appreciate any hints
      as to why Firefox and MSIE don't render the code as web pages.

      Thank you

      Ray Shapp

      ***originally sent to NTB-HTML group***

      Hello All,

      I am trying to help a friend get started with HTML. Two complications are
      that: a) I'm doing this long distance. He is over an hour away. b) He is using
      a Mac computer, and I have successfully avoided knowing anything about that
      breed.

      Our first obstacle is that the short bit of code below is rendered by Firefox
      and Internet Explorer as text on my friend's Mac. IOW, the browsers don't
      display "Hello world.". Instead, they display all the text shown below. My
      friend is certain that the code is stored in a file called "test.html". He
      assures me that the file name does not have any hidden extension such as
      ".txt".

      When I store the same text into a file called "test.htm" on my computer
      (running WinXP Home), it renders as expected in MSIE v6.0 and in Firefox
      v2.0.0.8.

      Can you tell me what troubleshooting I should do to cause my friend's browsers
      to correctly render this bit of code?

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp

      "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
      <head>
      <title>My first HTML page</title>
      </head>
    • fw7oaks
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2007
        Because the Mac has the file properties set as open with TextEdit and not a
        browser. Get your mate to go into Finder, select the file then Command I (the
        apple key next to the space bar) and about half way down is an option 'open
        with', click this and then select the browser of choice and this will fix the
        problem.

        A bit like a right click and setting the properties under windows !

        fw

        --- Ray Shapp <ras45@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I sent the email below to the HTML group, but it's really not a HTML
        > question.
        > I think everyone will agree the HTML code is ok. I would appreciate any hints
        >
        > as to why Firefox and MSIE don't render the code as web pages.
        >
        > Thank you
        >
        > Ray Shapp
        >
        > ***originally sent to NTB-HTML group***
        >
        > Hello All,
        >
        > I am trying to help a friend get started with HTML. Two complications are
        > that: a) I'm doing this long distance. He is over an hour away. b) He is
        > using
        > a Mac computer, and I have successfully avoided knowing anything about that
        > breed.
        >
        > Our first obstacle is that the short bit of code below is rendered by Firefox
        > and Internet Explorer as text on my friend's Mac. IOW, the browsers don't
        > display "Hello world.". Instead, they display all the text shown below. My
        > friend is certain that the code is stored in a file called "test.html". He
        > assures me that the file name does not have any hidden extension such as
        > ".txt".
        >
        > When I store the same text into a file called "test.htm" on my computer
        > (running WinXP Home), it renders as expected in MSIE v6.0 and in Firefox
        > v2.0.0.8.
        >
        > Can you tell me what troubleshooting I should do to cause my friend's
        > browsers
        > to correctly render this bit of code?
        >
        > Thanks for the help.
        >
        > Ray Shapp

        > <head>
        > <title>My first HTML page</title>
        > </head>
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2007
          On 11/4/07, Ray Shapp <ras45@...> wrote:

          > friend is certain that the code is stored in a file called "test.html". He
          >
          > When I store the same text into a file called "test.htm" on my computer

          You save it as .htm, he's saved it as .html, try asking him to save it
          as .htm instead and see if that works. Mac is Unix/Linux based and
          it's possible that the setting to recognize .html as a webpage is
          somehow missing (this kind of thing can also happen on Linux
          webservers, they have to be told to process .html files the same as
          .htm files).

          Other than that, I'm not sure. You could try taking out the doctype.
          And - you're sending him this file to save locally? If you put it on
          a website, can he see it properly using the url to the website?

          I'm on a Macbook and have no problem displaying locally-saved files
          with either .htm or .html in Firefox v2.0.0.9 (don't have IE on here
          so I can't test that).

          --
          alice ttlg

          Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
          http://www.populli.org/
          Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
          http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2007
            Hi fw and alice,

            <<Mac has the file properties set as open with TextEdit>>

            Thanks for the help. I haven't heard back from my friend, but your suggestions
            look very promising. I also asked him to create several separate htm documents
            to see whether this fix is global. I.e., that it needs to be made only once
            for universal application to all files that have the ".htm" extension.

            << If you put it on a website, can he see it properly using the url to the
            website?>>

            Yes, his browsers work normally for pages already on the web.

            <<You save it as .htm, he's saved it as .html,>>

            Yes, I have already mentioned that some web software expects to deal with
            three-character extensions only. I have also warned him about the
            case-sensitivity of Unix-based servers.

            Your help is much appreciated!

            Ray Shapp