Re: [NTO] Setup files

  • Alan C
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 10, 2007
      On 10/10/07, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

      > Eric Fookes wrote:
      > > If you have the registered version of NoteTab and use the News
      > > and Updates feature to download updates, then you will be
      > > downloading the latest update of the registered version
      > > - not a trial version.
      >
      > Let's see if I've understood that correctly: The "ntp550_Setup.exe" I
      > have just got is not the same file distributed to everyone but a
      > personalized one for me.

      I think the only "personalization" here is that "News and Updates"
      checks/authenticates/knows that your current installation is a genuine
      licensed; then it allows you to download the updated or latest version of
      the original setup file. (I think it is more of an authentication
      check/verify rather than a "personalization"). (so I think "no it is not
      "personalized" but it did "authenticate" which in turn allowed the download
      to begin).

      <quote>
      The only difference with the updates and the original full setup file is
      that the English thesaurus and dictionary are not included. But those
      can be downloaded any time from the NoteTab web site.
      </quote>

      I think, in actuality, that *perhaps* would read as "further difference"
      instead of "only difference" due to the downloaded or update setup file
      differs from the original setup file in that the download contains the
      latest version of Notetab rather than what your original setup file contains
      which may be an older (not latest) version of Notetab.

      To recap: First difference is the download which is the very latest version
      of Notetab (your orig setup file may be an older version of Notetab). And,
      further noted differences, are what Eric said about the thesaurus and
      dictionary files.

      So if I lose everything on my computer and
      > start from scratch on a new one,

      [ . . ]

      Then all you should need is the most recent download that you had received
      through "News and Updates" (put that downloaded puppy onto a cd disk or
      elsewhere for safe keeping) for it is the setup/installation. And, said
      dictionary and thesaurus files mentioned elsewhere herein. And (if you want
      your own or your personal settings back) then you need to have previously
      saved or backed up to somewhere a copy of notepro.ini (or the main app ini
      if it is not Notetab Pro) so that you can restore back this .ini (overwrite
      the file using your backed up copy to do so) (also -- always back up an
      original before it gets overwritten) -- do or accomplish this last step
      (ini) after you get Notetab installed and up and running.

      --
      Alan.

    • Eric Fookes
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
        Hi Axel,

        > Let's see if I've understood that correctly: The "ntp550_Setup.exe" I
        > have just got is not the same file distributed to everyone but a
        > personalized one for me.

        I don't understand what you mean by "personalized". Everyone downloading
        the update through the registered version of NoteTab Pro 5 gets the same
        file. Obviously, those who don't have the registered version of NoteTab
        cannot download the registered update this way.

        > So if I lose everything on my computer and
        > start from scratch on a new one, this one single file is all I need to
        > become a fully registered pro-user again.

        Yes, that is correct. And it enables you to download future free
        updates. As mentioned earlier, you'd have to download the dictionary and
        thesaurus files to benefit from those features.

        > You might make that plainer for dumbos like me. The conventional way is
        > to serve one file to everyone and read registration details from the
        > registry, so one needs to backup more than just the last downloaded
        > version.

        There is no conventional way. There are many different methods for the
        delivery of registered updates.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
          Eric Fookes wrote:
          > Everyone downloading the update through the registered version
          > of NoteTab Pro 5 gets the same file. Obviously, those who don't
          > have the registered version of NoteTab
          > cannot download the registered update this way.

          So that's where the registration is "hidden", i.e. where you tell the
          difference between between a registered user and one that's not.
          Seems even I have got that now.
          But tell me:
          With other ways of registration you can't usually prevent distribution
          but you can at least pinpoint the source of those copies. It seems that
          you have no means of preventing dozens of recipients becoming "new
          users" with full access to update.
          Thank you for your trust in all our honesty.

          Axel
        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
            Hi Axel,

            >> Everyone downloading the update through the registered version
            >> of NoteTab Pro 5 gets the same file. Obviously, those who don't
            >> have the registered version of NoteTab
            >> cannot download the registered update this way.
            >
            > So that's where the registration is "hidden", i.e. where you tell the
            > difference between between a registered user and one that's not.
            > Seems even I have got that now.

            There is no hidden registration. The paid version of NoteTab is a
            different file from the trial version. If you have the paid version,
            then you can download updates of the paid version. If you have the trial
            version, you cannot get copies of the paid version through the update
            feature.

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/