Re: [NTO] spam

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
      "Ed Brown" <ebrown1927@...> said on Oct 09, 2007 16:44 -0400 (in
      part):

      It is taking some time to get my acct setup so I will ask you how to
      removed the [unclassified] in the subject line? You do not have
      [unclassified] in your subject line. How did you get rid of it. I was
      having the same problem, everytime I replied my subject line looked
      like this:
      Re: [unclassified] Re: [NTO] spam

      Ed: the tags can be suppressed for particular buckets - in the Popfile-UI
      go to the Buckets tab where you have these choices for each bucket:

      - Subject Header Modification
      - X-Text-Classification Header
      - X-POPFile-Link Header
      - Quarantine Message

      and with the [unclassified] in the subject line it was causing
      problems in archiving the messages and I had to delete each time I
      replied which was one reason that I dropped Popfile.

      What email client are you using? With Thunderbird you can use the X-Text
      Classification as the basis for filtering (including automatically putting
      all Unclassified in a particular folder because each one should be
      re-classified in the PopFile UI).

      If interested have a look at a recent post I made to the Popfile sourceforge
      forum:

      - *RE: Pre-existing T-Bird filters work with
      Pop<https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4555956>
      *

      I hope you'll give it another try :-) .
      K9 is another free one that does a good job.
      If you've got the inclination/ability to switch from Yahoo-Web Mail to
      Google-gmail you'll find that it does a pretty good job of filtering spam
      and with the auto-forward to POP3 account you get (IMO) the best of both
      worlds!

      Ed

      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 10, 2007
        Axel-Berger@... wrote:
        > alice ttlg wrote:
        > > Filtering your incoming mail is much less intrusive to legitimate
        > > senders and a much better solution than challenge/response programs,
        > > imho.
        > Well said. There may be exceptions. I know a church warden with a well
        > known and frequently published address he can't easily change and who
        > gets 300 spam (spams? Is spam countable?) per day.
        > In the experience of all folks here: How do elderly fuddy-duddies who
        > just master email
        > copy with those challenges?
        > Axel

        We don't. We just delete them with glee! When we can remember....
      • Stan Blazejewski
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 10, 2007
          On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:32:18 +1000, you wrote:

          >On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:54 AM
          >Ed Brown wrote:
          >
          >> In the distant past there was some (much) discussion on various anti spam
          >> programs.
          >
          >I've had MailWasher for years--not sure how many! It's great.

          Same here, highly recommended. There is a free version but it's well worth
          paying for the pro version. The best part of it is that it checks the mail 'at
          the ISP level' & junk/spam get deleted 'before' it get downloaded to your
          computer... great for the junk/spam that has large attachments.

          stanblaz@...
          www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)