Re: [NTO] spam

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
      Sorry I forgot to remove the hated brackets. And as much spam as there is
      any way to stop is desireable. And there are all these Spam removers which
      have the ability to learn what is spam and what is not. This topic is not
      only boring to you but there are spammers out there who might also find it
      boring. And this is the off topic list and anything to help each other is
      discussed here.
      Ed

      .

      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
        "Ed Brown" <ebrown1927@...> said on Oct 09, 2007 16:44 -0400 (in
        part):

        It is taking some time to get my acct setup so I will ask you how to
        removed the [unclassified] in the subject line? You do not have
        [unclassified] in your subject line. How did you get rid of it. I was
        having the same problem, everytime I replied my subject line looked
        like this:
        Re: [unclassified] Re: [NTO] spam

        Ed: the tags can be suppressed for particular buckets - in the Popfile-UI
        go to the Buckets tab where you have these choices for each bucket:

        - Subject Header Modification
        - X-Text-Classification Header
        - X-POPFile-Link Header
        - Quarantine Message

        and with the [unclassified] in the subject line it was causing
        problems in archiving the messages and I had to delete each time I
        replied which was one reason that I dropped Popfile.

        What email client are you using? With Thunderbird you can use the X-Text
        Classification as the basis for filtering (including automatically putting
        all Unclassified in a particular folder because each one should be
        re-classified in the PopFile UI).

        If interested have a look at a recent post I made to the Popfile sourceforge
        forum:

        - *RE: Pre-existing T-Bird filters work with
        Pop<https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4555956>
        *

        I hope you'll give it another try :-) .
        K9 is another free one that does a good job.
        If you've got the inclination/ability to switch from Yahoo-Web Mail to
        Google-gmail you'll find that it does a pretty good job of filtering spam
        and with the auto-forward to POP3 account you get (IMO) the best of both
        worlds!

        Ed

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 10, 2007
          Axel-Berger@... wrote:
          > alice ttlg wrote:
          > > Filtering your incoming mail is much less intrusive to legitimate
          > > senders and a much better solution than challenge/response programs,
          > > imho.
          > Well said. There may be exceptions. I know a church warden with a well
          > known and frequently published address he can't easily change and who
          > gets 300 spam (spams? Is spam countable?) per day.
          > In the experience of all folks here: How do elderly fuddy-duddies who
          > just master email
          > copy with those challenges?
          > Axel

          We don't. We just delete them with glee! When we can remember....
        • Stan Blazejewski
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 10, 2007
            On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:32:18 +1000, you wrote:

            >On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:54 AM
            >Ed Brown wrote:
            >
            >> In the distant past there was some (much) discussion on various anti spam
            >> programs.
            >
            >I've had MailWasher for years--not sure how many! It's great.

            Same here, highly recommended. There is a free version but it's well worth
            paying for the pro version. The best part of it is that it checks the mail 'at
            the ISP level' & junk/spam get deleted 'before' it get downloaded to your
            computer... great for the junk/spam that has large attachments.

            stanblaz@...
            www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)