Re: [NTO] spam

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
      Ah yes that is a problem, if they know how to receive emails and read them that makes it easier. Perhaps he could start a computer class for the elderly or have a local school run an evening class for them for a few weeks. The local community college does that here and there is usually a full class.
      Ed
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
        On 10/9/07, alice ttlg <alice.ttlg@...> wrote:
        > On 10/9/07, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I just use Thunderbird and it does a pretty decent job. Ask the isp if
        > > they have a challenge response system available. Those work pretty well
        > > too.
        >
        > One thing to keep in mind with challenge response programs, they can
        > cause all kinds of problems with mailing lists that you belong to -

        I'll go further than alice and say C/R is plain evil. It's shifting
        the cost of filtering spam onto the senders of your email. And
        sometimes, it's shifting cost onto third parties who have nothing to
        do with your email.

        C/R relies on the sender of the email to be correct and that is not
        always so. Forging the sender on an email is trivial with most userr
        email programs out there (Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora). So you can
        bet all the spambots do it :)

        But what's worse is the address that is forged is often real and
        valid, so some third party gets challenges for mail that they didn't
        send. So in effect, they are being spammed by the C/R system.

        I (and others) could go on & on, but in most anti-spam circles, it's a
        stain on the ground where the dead horse was. Not that I have a strong
        opinion about it, mind you ;-)

        --
        HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

        Jason

        My operat~1 system unders~1 long filena~1, does yours?
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
          "Jason W." wrote:
          > Not that I have a strong
          > opinion about it, mind you ;-)

          Point taken. I am not going to recommend it.

          Axel
        • bruce.somers@web.de
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
            This barrage of messages may not fall under the heading SPAM, but it certainly is annoying!

            Bruce
          • fw7oaks
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
              That's done with my eMail client. POPFile adds a 'X-Text-Classification header'
              ('unclassified') and I tell my eMail program to ignore it. However I should
              add that for Yahoo Groups I use the Webmail interface and rely on Yahoo on
              pitching the junk, which they do very well, which is why you don't see any
              pre-selection on this reply.

              Sadly not every eMail client (program) is clever enough to do the necessary
              processing.

              HTH

              fw

              --- Ed Brown <ebrown1927@...> wrote:

              > It is taking some time to get my acct setup so I will ask you how to removed
              > the [unclassified] in the subject line? You do not have [unclassified] in
              > your subject line. How did you get rid of it. I was having the same problem,
              > everytime I replied my subject line looked like this:
              > Re: [unclassified] Re: [NTO] spam
              >
              > and with the [unclassified] in the subject line it was causing problems in
              > archiving the messages and I had to delete each time I replied which was one
              > reason that I dropped Popfile.
              >
              > Ed

            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                Sorry I forgot to remove the hated brackets. And as much spam as there is
                any way to stop is desireable. And there are all these Spam removers which
                have the ability to learn what is spam and what is not. This topic is not
                only boring to you but there are spammers out there who might also find it
                boring. And this is the off topic list and anything to help each other is
                discussed here.
                Ed

                .
                >This barrage of messages may not fall under the heading >SPAM, but it
                >certainly is annoying!
                >Bruce

                > This barrage of messages may not fall under the heading SPAM, but it
                > certainly is annoying!
                >
                > Bruce
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                  "Ed Brown" <ebrown1927@...> said on Oct 09, 2007 16:44 -0400 (in
                  part):

                  It is taking some time to get my acct setup so I will ask you how to
                  removed the [unclassified] in the subject line? You do not have
                  [unclassified] in your subject line. How did you get rid of it. I was
                  having the same problem, everytime I replied my subject line looked
                  like this:
                  Re: [unclassified] Re: [NTO] spam

                  Ed: the tags can be suppressed for particular buckets - in the Popfile-UI
                  go to the Buckets tab where you have these choices for each bucket:

                  - Subject Header Modification
                  - X-Text-Classification Header
                  - X-POPFile-Link Header
                  - Quarantine Message

                  and with the [unclassified] in the subject line it was causing
                  problems in archiving the messages and I had to delete each time I
                  replied which was one reason that I dropped Popfile.

                  What email client are you using? With Thunderbird you can use the X-Text
                  Classification as the basis for filtering (including automatically putting
                  all Unclassified in a particular folder because each one should be
                  re-classified in the PopFile UI).

                  If interested have a look at a recent post I made to the Popfile sourceforge
                  forum:

                  - *RE: Pre-existing T-Bird filters work with
                  Pop<https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4555956>
                  *

                  I hope you'll give it another try :-) .
                  K9 is another free one that does a good job.
                  If you've got the inclination/ability to switch from Yahoo-Web Mail to
                  Google-gmail you'll find that it does a pretty good job of filtering spam
                  and with the auto-forward to POP3 account you get (IMO) the best of both
                  worlds!

                  Ed

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 10, 2007
                    Axel-Berger@... wrote:
                    > alice ttlg wrote:
                    > > Filtering your incoming mail is much less intrusive to legitimate
                    > > senders and a much better solution than challenge/response programs,
                    > > imho.
                    > Well said. There may be exceptions. I know a church warden with a well
                    > known and frequently published address he can't easily change and who
                    > gets 300 spam (spams? Is spam countable?) per day.
                    > In the experience of all folks here: How do elderly fuddy-duddies who
                    > just master email
                    > copy with those challenges?
                    > Axel

                    We don't. We just delete them with glee! When we can remember....
                  • Stan Blazejewski
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 10, 2007
                      On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:32:18 +1000, you wrote:

                      >On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:54 AM
                      >Ed Brown wrote:
                      >
                      >> In the distant past there was some (much) discussion on various anti spam
                      >> programs.
                      >
                      >I've had MailWasher for years--not sure how many! It's great.

                      Same here, highly recommended. There is a free version but it's well worth
                      paying for the pro version. The best part of it is that it checks the mail 'at
                      the ISP level' & junk/spam get deleted 'before' it get downloaded to your
                      computer... great for the junk/spam that has large attachments.

                      stanblaz@...
                      www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)