Image editors - which one to buy?

  • Jan-Arild L�kstad
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 14, 2000
      Hello All,

      I am soon going to start scanning several hundreds old, mainly black
      and white, photos. Most of them has seen the effects of time -beeing
      bent, scratched and even beeing written on.

      In order to touch up the photos, before burning them onto CDs, I will
      need a good image editing program. The choice lies between:

      1. Adobe Photoshop LE
      2. Paint Shop Pro
      3. Picture Publisher

      ...but I just can't make up my mind about which one of them to buy.

      Here in Norway they are all in about the same price range, so which of
      them would give me most value for my money?

      --
      Best regards,
      Jan-Arild
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 14, 2000
        Jan-Arild Løkstad wrote:

        >In order to touch up the photos, before burning them onto CDs, I will
        >need a good image editing program. The choice lies between:
        >
        > 1. Adobe Photoshop LE
        > 2. Paint Shop Pro
        > 3. Picture Publisher

        Of the three programs above, I have only Used Paint Shop Pro. There is a
        new beta of version 7 that I downloaded today that has what "they" call
        "new intelligent photo enhancement features". It's a humongous download,
        but you may want to check it out:
        http://www.jasc.com/psp7.asp?

        Julie
      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 14, 2000
          At 03:46 PM 8/14/00, you wrote:
          >Hello All,
          >
          >I am soon going to start scanning several hundreds old, mainly black
          >and white, photos. Most of them has seen the effects of time -beeing
          >bent, scratched and even beeing written on.
          >
          >In order to touch up the photos, before burning them onto CDs, I will
          >need a good image editing program. The choice lies between:
          >
          > 1. Adobe Photoshop LE
          > 2. Paint Shop Pro
          > 3. Picture Publisher
          >
          >...but I just can't make up my mind about which one of them to buy.
          >
          >Here in Norway they are all in about the same price range, so which of
          >them would give me most value for my money?
          >
          >--
          >Best regards,
          > Jan-Arild

          Jan,

          I have those you mentioned and a few others.

          Were I you, I would download and Tryout PhotoiImpact 5 Trial Version

          from:

          http://www.ulead.com/

          before I bought one of the above, not that there is anything wrong with any
          of them.

          For your application they will all do a fairly good job.

          I think though you will find that PhotoiImpact 5 is head and shoulders
          above the others. There is no comparison.

          A word of warning, it comes in 2 downloads and it is big. First download is
          20MB the second depends on which features you want (everything is 17MB if I
          recall correctly). But if you are going to go to all of that work then you
          want the best results ....

          Regards

          Jim
        • Scott Fordin
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 14, 2000
            Jan,

            Personally, I prefer Photoshop -- the full version, rather than
            the LE version -- but that package can cost real money. I think
            Adobe's rendering, color, and interpolation engines are quite a
            bit better than the others. I also happen to use Adobe Illustrator
            and ImageReady, and the way the three work together is useful for
            the kinds of things I do.

            Having said all this, PaintShop Pro gives a whole lotta bang for
            the buck, so to speak, and is an excellent product. Also remember
            that most new scanners -- you can get rather good ones for under
            $150US -- come bundled with an image editing program and other
            goodies tailored for photo processing. You may find that you have
            all you need when you open the scanner box.

            BTW, a colleague of mine has spent the last five or so months
            scanning old photos and slides, with the same goals and same
            conditions you describe. The results he's been getting with the
            Nikon CoolScan with a slide adapter, Photoshop LE, which came
            with the scanner, and the Epson Stylus 1270 printer have been
            outstanding.

            Have fun!

            Regards,

            Scott

            At 12:46 AM 8/15/00 +0200, Jan-Arild Løkstad wrote:
            >Hello All,
            >
            >I am soon going to start scanning several hundreds old, mainly black
            >and white, photos. Most of them has seen the effects of time -beeing
            >bent, scratched and even beeing written on.
            >
            >In order to touch up the photos, before burning them onto CDs, I will
            >need a good image editing program. The choice lies between:
            >
            > 1. Adobe Photoshop LE
            > 2. Paint Shop Pro
            > 3. Picture Publisher
            >
            >...but I just can't make up my mind about which one of them to buy.
            >
            >Here in Norway they are all in about the same price range, so which of
            >them would give me most value for my money?
            >
            >--
            >Best regards,
            > Jan-Arild

          • Jan-Arild L�kstad
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 15, 2000
              Hello Scott,

              Tuesday, August 15, 2000, 4:49:30 AM, you wrote:

              > Personally, I prefer Photoshop -- the full version, rather than the
              > LE version

              I am not familiar with neither of them, but I don't think I say
              anything wrong if I say that Photoshop (the full version) is the top
              of the line product, the standard everyone tries to copy.

              > -- but that package can cost real money.

              Exactly the "problem" :) $1,240 for the norwegian version. If money
              wasn't an issue, I would most likely go for the full version, but I
              assume upgrading from LE is painless if the need for all the extra
              stuff it offers over LE should arise.

              > I think Adobe's rendering, color, and interpolation engines are
              > quite a bit better than the others.

              I have always had a tendency to believe that an image editor program
              was an image editor program, but the "you get what you pay for"-rule
              applies to this as well I guess, as it does to everything else.

              > Having said all this, PaintShop Pro gives a whole lotta bang for the
              > buck, so to speak, and is an excellent product.

              It sure is. Definitely. Yet another program worth mentioning is Gimp,
              which I have been playng with the last couple of weeks (under Linux).
              Unfortunately it doesn't work with my scanner.

              > Have fun!

              I will, (I hope)

              :)

              --
              Best regards,
              Jan-Arild
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 15, 2000
                Hello Jim,

                Tuesday, August 15, 2000, 2:36:13 AM, you wrote:

                > Were I you, I would download and Tryout PhotoiImpact 5 Trial Version
                > from:
                >
                > http://www.ulead.com/
                >
                > before I bought one of the above, not that there is anything wrong
                > with any of them.

                Oops! I forgot about the great line of products Ulead offers. I will
                download PhotoImpact this very evening. Thanks a lot Jim for reminding
                me.

                > I think though you will find that PhotoiImpact 5 is head and
                > shoulders above the others. There is no comparison.

                In what way does it differ from the others? Do you care to elaborate
                this a little for a novice like me?

                --
                Best regards,
                Jan-Arild
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 15, 2000
                  Hello Julie,

                  Tuesday, August 15, 2000, 1:42:35 AM, you wrote:

                  > Of the three programs above, I have only Used Paint Shop Pro.

                  PSP is the only program I have used also (of the three), but I haven't
                  used it since v 3.x (I think), so I guess it has changed quite a lot
                  since then.

                  > There is a new beta of version 7 that I downloaded today that has
                  > what "they" call "new intelligent photo enhancement features".

                  Sounds like it could be worth a download to try it out.

                  > It's a humongous download,

                  I'm not quite sure what "humongous" means (my command of English you
                  know), but my guess is that it must mean something like "BIG" :)

                  Yes it sure is. Close to 30MB isn't it? Until we all get real
                  broadband connections, files bigger than 10-15MB is a pain to
                  download. I have, however, downloaded files that has been about 50MB.

                  Eric Fookes has made it very easy for us to choose among all the text
                  editors out there, perhaps can be talked into start programming an
                  image editor too.

                  --
                  Best regards,
                  Jan-Arild
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 15, 2000

                    Alle 00.46 Tuesday 15/08/2000 +0200, Jan-Arild Løkstad ha mandato a Marco
                    questo messaggio:

                    >...but I just can't make up my mind about which one of them to buy.

                    Buy?
                    Go to http://www.gimp.org for the main site of GIMP.
                    At http://www.gimp.org/win32/downloads.html there must be the new FREE
                    Windows version of GIMP.
                    It's like the Paint Shop Pro of Linux, with more features than PSP, and a
                    nice mailing list support (just like NoteTab...)

                    Bye!

                    Marco Bernardini