Re: [NTO] spam

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
      I guess you would say he is computer challenged? Tell him to quit think old and start studying. Everything worth while has a pretty good, some might even say steep learning curve. You are only as old as you want to be. But evidently he likes to do something else rather than put sometime in studying. And he might need a computer Guru--like you Alex?? You know where to go to get answers. And might be able to help him a great deal. No matter the age, you do what you want to do--at least that is my opinion
      ed
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
        It is taking some time to get my acct setup so I will ask you how to removed the [unclassified] in the subject line? You do not have [unclassified] in your subject line. How did you get rid of it. I was having the same problem, everytime I replied my subject line looked like this:
        Re: [unclassified] Re: [NTO] spam

        and with the [unclassified] in the subject line it was causing problems in archiving the messages and I had to delete each time I replied which was one reason that I dropped Popfile.

        Ed

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
          Now that I figured that out, it still puts the name of the bucket in brackets in front of the Re:[NTO]spam
          subject line is "Re [adobe_ps] program halts." I do not want it to place the name of the bucket in the subject line and I see yours does not do that. How do you get rid of it. When I replied to your message in the subject I saw this: [notetab] Re [NTO] spam and in order to not mess up the archiving of the messages that must not be there. I see it is placed there as soon as a new email arrives and when I reply naturally it is in the subject line also.
          Scratching head.
          Ed

          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
            Ed Brown wrote:
            > I guess you would say he is computer challenged? Tell him to quit
            > think old and start studying.

            No, not him. Richard is young(-ish) and quite bright if not very
            technical. But being a church warden he will get mail from very elderly
            and very computer illiterate parishioners. So my question is, do you
            suppose these might be put off by a challenge-response from him?

            N.B: The name's Axel. But I know that English speaking people often
            automatically substitute the more common (to them) Alex.

            Axel
          • Ed Brown
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
              Ah yes that is a problem, if they know how to receive emails and read them that makes it easier. Perhaps he could start a computer class for the elderly or have a local school run an evening class for them for a few weeks. The local community college does that here and there is usually a full class.
              Ed
              > I guess you would say he is computer challenged? Tell him to quit
              > think old and start studying.

              No, not him. Richard is young(-ish) and quite bright if not very
              technical. But being a church warden he will get mail from very elderly
              and very computer illiterate parishioners. So my question is, do you
              suppose these might be put off by a challenge-response from him?

              N.B: The name's Axel. But I know that English speaking people often
              automatically substitute the more common (to them) Alex.

            • Fay Johnston
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:54 AM
                Ed Brown wrote:

                > In the distant past there was some (much) discussion on various anti spam
                > programs.

                I've had MailWasher for years--not sure how many! It's great.

                http://www.mailwasher.net/
                Free if you have one email address, and I think now about $50 if you have
                more than one.
                It downloads the headers and first 20 lines of each email.
                Pre-marks recognised spam. It seems to have a pretty extensive list of known
                spam.
                Shows size of each email and whether there are attachments.
                You mark those from friends and it builds a "friends" list.
                You mark any spam it's missed and those are added to the black list. It
                doesn't miss very many, though.

                It has a "bounce" facility, but I don't use that. Seems pretty pointless,
                since most spam is from faked addresses.

                You can also click a button to show all of the text in any particular email
                if you want to.

                When you've looked through the headers and unwanted mail is marked, you say
                "Process Mail" and it opens your email client. You then click to "Receive
                All" and only the good emails are downloaded.
                (You have to have your client set to never check for email.)

                A bonus is that if you're on dial-up and see that a friend has sent a 2MB
                attachment, you can mark that email for deletion, then let the friend know
                that you weren't able to receive their email because it was too big for your
                mail program.

                Updates to paid version are seamless. You d/l the new version of the program
                and run the setup. It picks up all your existing settings. I don't know
                whether you get the same updates with the free version.
              • Jason W.
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                  On 10/9/07, alice ttlg <alice.ttlg@...> wrote:
                  > On 10/9/07, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I just use Thunderbird and it does a pretty decent job. Ask the isp if
                  > > they have a challenge response system available. Those work pretty well
                  > > too.
                  >
                  > One thing to keep in mind with challenge response programs, they can
                  > cause all kinds of problems with mailing lists that you belong to -

                  I'll go further than alice and say C/R is plain evil. It's shifting
                  the cost of filtering spam onto the senders of your email. And
                  sometimes, it's shifting cost onto third parties who have nothing to
                  do with your email.

                  C/R relies on the sender of the email to be correct and that is not
                  always so. Forging the sender on an email is trivial with most userr
                  email programs out there (Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora). So you can
                  bet all the spambots do it :)

                  But what's worse is the address that is forged is often real and
                  valid, so some third party gets challenges for mail that they didn't
                  send. So in effect, they are being spammed by the C/R system.

                  I (and others) could go on & on, but in most anti-spam circles, it's a
                  stain on the ground where the dead horse was. Not that I have a strong
                  opinion about it, mind you ;-)

                  --
                  HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

                  Jason

                  My operat~1 system unders~1 long filena~1, does yours?
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                    "Jason W." wrote:
                    > Not that I have a strong
                    > opinion about it, mind you ;-)

                    Point taken. I am not going to recommend it.

                    Axel
                  • bruce.somers@web.de
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                      This barrage of messages may not fall under the heading SPAM, but it certainly is annoying!

                      Bruce
                    • fw7oaks
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                        That's done with my eMail client. POPFile adds a 'X-Text-Classification header'
                        ('unclassified') and I tell my eMail program to ignore it. However I should
                        add that for Yahoo Groups I use the Webmail interface and rely on Yahoo on
                        pitching the junk, which they do very well, which is why you don't see any
                        pre-selection on this reply.

                        Sadly not every eMail client (program) is clever enough to do the necessary
                        processing.

                        HTH

                        fw

                        --- Ed Brown <ebrown1927@...> wrote:

                        > It is taking some time to get my acct setup so I will ask you how to removed
                        > the [unclassified] in the subject line? You do not have [unclassified] in
                        > your subject line. How did you get rid of it. I was having the same problem,
                        > everytime I replied my subject line looked like this:
                        > Re: [unclassified] Re: [NTO] spam
                        >
                        > and with the [unclassified] in the subject line it was causing problems in
                        > archiving the messages and I had to delete each time I replied which was one
                        > reason that I dropped Popfile.
                        >
                        > Ed

                      • Ed Brown
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                          Sorry I forgot to remove the hated brackets. And as much spam as there is
                          any way to stop is desireable. And there are all these Spam removers which
                          have the ability to learn what is spam and what is not. This topic is not
                          only boring to you but there are spammers out there who might also find it
                          boring. And this is the off topic list and anything to help each other is
                          discussed here.
                          Ed

                          .
                          >This barrage of messages may not fall under the heading >SPAM, but it
                          >certainly is annoying!
                          >Bruce

                          > This barrage of messages may not fall under the heading SPAM, but it
                          > certainly is annoying!
                          >
                          > Bruce
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Alec Burgess
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                            "Ed Brown" <ebrown1927@...> said on Oct 09, 2007 16:44 -0400 (in
                            part):

                            It is taking some time to get my acct setup so I will ask you how to
                            removed the [unclassified] in the subject line? You do not have
                            [unclassified] in your subject line. How did you get rid of it. I was
                            having the same problem, everytime I replied my subject line looked
                            like this:
                            Re: [unclassified] Re: [NTO] spam

                            Ed: the tags can be suppressed for particular buckets - in the Popfile-UI
                            go to the Buckets tab where you have these choices for each bucket:

                            - Subject Header Modification
                            - X-Text-Classification Header
                            - X-POPFile-Link Header
                            - Quarantine Message

                            and with the [unclassified] in the subject line it was causing
                            problems in archiving the messages and I had to delete each time I
                            replied which was one reason that I dropped Popfile.

                            What email client are you using? With Thunderbird you can use the X-Text
                            Classification as the basis for filtering (including automatically putting
                            all Unclassified in a particular folder because each one should be
                            re-classified in the PopFile UI).

                            If interested have a look at a recent post I made to the Popfile sourceforge
                            forum:

                            - *RE: Pre-existing T-Bird filters work with
                            Pop<https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4555956>
                            *

                            I hope you'll give it another try :-) .
                            K9 is another free one that does a good job.
                            If you've got the inclination/ability to switch from Yahoo-Web Mail to
                            Google-gmail you'll find that it does a pretty good job of filtering spam
                            and with the auto-forward to POP3 account you get (IMO) the best of both
                            worlds!

                            Ed

                          • rosemary@sndc.demon.co.uk
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 10, 2007
                              Axel-Berger@... wrote:
                              > alice ttlg wrote:
                              > > Filtering your incoming mail is much less intrusive to legitimate
                              > > senders and a much better solution than challenge/response programs,
                              > > imho.
                              > Well said. There may be exceptions. I know a church warden with a well
                              > known and frequently published address he can't easily change and who
                              > gets 300 spam (spams? Is spam countable?) per day.
                              > In the experience of all folks here: How do elderly fuddy-duddies who
                              > just master email
                              > copy with those challenges?
                              > Axel

                              We don't. We just delete them with glee! When we can remember....
                            • Stan Blazejewski
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 10, 2007
                                On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:32:18 +1000, you wrote:

                                >On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:54 AM
                                >Ed Brown wrote:
                                >
                                >> In the distant past there was some (much) discussion on various anti spam
                                >> programs.
                                >
                                >I've had MailWasher for years--not sure how many! It's great.

                                Same here, highly recommended. There is a free version but it's well worth
                                paying for the pro version. The best part of it is that it checks the mail 'at
                                the ISP level' & junk/spam get deleted 'before' it get downloaded to your
                                computer... great for the junk/spam that has large attachments.

                                stanblaz@...
                                www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)