Re: [NTO] spam

    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
      alice ttlg wrote:
      > Filtering your incoming mail is much less intrusive to legitimate
      > senders and a much better solution than challenge/response programs,
      > imho.

      Well said. There may be exceptions. I know a church warden with a well
      known and frequently published address he can't easily change and who
      gets 300 spam (spams? Is spam countable?) per day.
      In the experience of all folks here: How do elderly fuddy-duddies who
      just master email
      copy with those challenges?

      Axel
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
        I guess you would say he is computer challenged? Tell him to quit think old and start studying. Everything worth while has a pretty good, some might even say steep learning curve. You are only as old as you want to be. But evidently he likes to do something else rather than put sometime in studying. And he might need a computer Guru--like you Alex?? You know where to go to get answers. And might be able to help him a great deal. No matter the age, you do what you want to do--at least that is my opinion
        ed

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
          It is taking some time to get my acct setup so I will ask you how to removed the [unclassified] in the subject line? You do not have [unclassified] in your subject line. How did you get rid of it. I was having the same problem, everytime I replied my subject line looked like this:
          Re: [unclassified] Re: [NTO] spam

          and with the [unclassified] in the subject line it was causing problems in archiving the messages and I had to delete each time I replied which was one reason that I dropped Popfile.

          Ed

          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
            Now that I figured that out, it still puts the name of the bucket in brackets in front of the Re:[NTO]spam
            subject line is "Re [adobe_ps] program halts." I do not want it to place the name of the bucket in the subject line and I see yours does not do that. How do you get rid of it. When I replied to your message in the subject I saw this: [notetab] Re [NTO] spam and in order to not mess up the archiving of the messages that must not be there. I see it is placed there as soon as a new email arrives and when I reply naturally it is in the subject line also.
            Scratching head.
            Ed

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
              Ed Brown wrote:
              > I guess you would say he is computer challenged? Tell him to quit
              > think old and start studying.

              No, not him. Richard is young(-ish) and quite bright if not very
              technical. But being a church warden he will get mail from very elderly
              and very computer illiterate parishioners. So my question is, do you
              suppose these might be put off by a challenge-response from him?

              N.B: The name's Axel. But I know that English speaking people often
              automatically substitute the more common (to them) Alex.

              Axel
            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                Ah yes that is a problem, if they know how to receive emails and read them that makes it easier. Perhaps he could start a computer class for the elderly or have a local school run an evening class for them for a few weeks. The local community college does that here and there is usually a full class.
                Ed
                > I guess you would say he is computer challenged? Tell him to quit
                > think old and start studying.

                No, not him. Richard is young(-ish) and quite bright if not very
                technical. But being a church warden he will get mail from very elderly
                and very computer illiterate parishioners. So my question is, do you
                suppose these might be put off by a challenge-response from him?

                N.B: The name's Axel. But I know that English speaking people often
                automatically substitute the more common (to them) Alex.

              • Fay Johnston
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                  On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:54 AM
                  Ed Brown wrote:

                  > In the distant past there was some (much) discussion on various anti spam
                  > programs.

                  I've had MailWasher for years--not sure how many! It's great.

                  http://www.mailwasher.net/
                  Free if you have one email address, and I think now about $50 if you have
                  more than one.
                  It downloads the headers and first 20 lines of each email.
                  Pre-marks recognised spam. It seems to have a pretty extensive list of known
                  spam.
                  Shows size of each email and whether there are attachments.
                  You mark those from friends and it builds a "friends" list.
                  You mark any spam it's missed and those are added to the black list. It
                  doesn't miss very many, though.

                  It has a "bounce" facility, but I don't use that. Seems pretty pointless,
                  since most spam is from faked addresses.

                  You can also click a button to show all of the text in any particular email
                  if you want to.

                  When you've looked through the headers and unwanted mail is marked, you say
                  "Process Mail" and it opens your email client. You then click to "Receive
                  All" and only the good emails are downloaded.
                  (You have to have your client set to never check for email.)

                  A bonus is that if you're on dial-up and see that a friend has sent a 2MB
                  attachment, you can mark that email for deletion, then let the friend know
                  that you weren't able to receive their email because it was too big for your
                  mail program.

                  Updates to paid version are seamless. You d/l the new version of the program
                  and run the setup. It picks up all your existing settings. I don't know
                  whether you get the same updates with the free version.
                • Jason W.
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                    On 10/9/07, alice ttlg <alice.ttlg@...> wrote:
                    > On 10/9/07, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I just use Thunderbird and it does a pretty decent job. Ask the isp if
                    > > they have a challenge response system available. Those work pretty well
                    > > too.
                    >
                    > One thing to keep in mind with challenge response programs, they can
                    > cause all kinds of problems with mailing lists that you belong to -

                    I'll go further than alice and say C/R is plain evil. It's shifting
                    the cost of filtering spam onto the senders of your email. And
                    sometimes, it's shifting cost onto third parties who have nothing to
                    do with your email.

                    C/R relies on the sender of the email to be correct and that is not
                    always so. Forging the sender on an email is trivial with most userr
                    email programs out there (Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora). So you can
                    bet all the spambots do it :)

                    But what's worse is the address that is forged is often real and
                    valid, so some third party gets challenges for mail that they didn't
                    send. So in effect, they are being spammed by the C/R system.

                    I (and others) could go on & on, but in most anti-spam circles, it's a
                    stain on the ground where the dead horse was. Not that I have a strong
                    opinion about it, mind you ;-)

                    --
                    HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

                    Jason

                    My operat~1 system unders~1 long filena~1, does yours?
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                      "Jason W." wrote:
                      > Not that I have a strong
                      > opinion about it, mind you ;-)

                      Point taken. I am not going to recommend it.

                      Axel
                    • bruce.somers@web.de
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                        This barrage of messages may not fall under the heading SPAM, but it certainly is annoying!

                        Bruce
                      • fw7oaks
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                          That's done with my eMail client. POPFile adds a 'X-Text-Classification header'
                          ('unclassified') and I tell my eMail program to ignore it. However I should
                          add that for Yahoo Groups I use the Webmail interface and rely on Yahoo on
                          pitching the junk, which they do very well, which is why you don't see any
                          pre-selection on this reply.

                          Sadly not every eMail client (program) is clever enough to do the necessary
                          processing.

                          HTH

                          fw

                          --- Ed Brown <ebrown1927@...> wrote:

                          > It is taking some time to get my acct setup so I will ask you how to removed
                          > the [unclassified] in the subject line? You do not have [unclassified] in
                          > your subject line. How did you get rid of it. I was having the same problem,
                          > everytime I replied my subject line looked like this:
                          > Re: [unclassified] Re: [NTO] spam
                          >
                          > and with the [unclassified] in the subject line it was causing problems in
                          > archiving the messages and I had to delete each time I replied which was one
                          > reason that I dropped Popfile.
                          >
                          > Ed

                        • Ed Brown
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                            Sorry I forgot to remove the hated brackets. And as much spam as there is
                            any way to stop is desireable. And there are all these Spam removers which
                            have the ability to learn what is spam and what is not. This topic is not
                            only boring to you but there are spammers out there who might also find it
                            boring. And this is the off topic list and anything to help each other is
                            discussed here.
                            Ed

                            .
                            >This barrage of messages may not fall under the heading >SPAM, but it
                            >certainly is annoying!
                            >Bruce

                            > This barrage of messages may not fall under the heading SPAM, but it
                            > certainly is annoying!
                            >
                            > Bruce
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Alec Burgess
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                              "Ed Brown" <ebrown1927@...> said on Oct 09, 2007 16:44 -0400 (in
                              part):

                              It is taking some time to get my acct setup so I will ask you how to
                              removed the [unclassified] in the subject line? You do not have
                              [unclassified] in your subject line. How did you get rid of it. I was
                              having the same problem, everytime I replied my subject line looked
                              like this:
                              Re: [unclassified] Re: [NTO] spam

                              Ed: the tags can be suppressed for particular buckets - in the Popfile-UI
                              go to the Buckets tab where you have these choices for each bucket:

                              - Subject Header Modification
                              - X-Text-Classification Header
                              - X-POPFile-Link Header
                              - Quarantine Message

                              and with the [unclassified] in the subject line it was causing
                              problems in archiving the messages and I had to delete each time I
                              replied which was one reason that I dropped Popfile.

                              What email client are you using? With Thunderbird you can use the X-Text
                              Classification as the basis for filtering (including automatically putting
                              all Unclassified in a particular folder because each one should be
                              re-classified in the PopFile UI).

                              If interested have a look at a recent post I made to the Popfile sourceforge
                              forum:

                              - *RE: Pre-existing T-Bird filters work with
                              Pop<https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4555956>
                              *

                              I hope you'll give it another try :-) .
                              K9 is another free one that does a good job.
                              If you've got the inclination/ability to switch from Yahoo-Web Mail to
                              Google-gmail you'll find that it does a pretty good job of filtering spam
                              and with the auto-forward to POP3 account you get (IMO) the best of both
                              worlds!

                              Ed

                            • rosemary@sndc.demon.co.uk
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 10, 2007
                                Axel-Berger@... wrote:
                                > alice ttlg wrote:
                                > > Filtering your incoming mail is much less intrusive to legitimate
                                > > senders and a much better solution than challenge/response programs,
                                > > imho.
                                > Well said. There may be exceptions. I know a church warden with a well
                                > known and frequently published address he can't easily change and who
                                > gets 300 spam (spams? Is spam countable?) per day.
                                > In the experience of all folks here: How do elderly fuddy-duddies who
                                > just master email
                                > copy with those challenges?
                                > Axel

                                We don't. We just delete them with glee! When we can remember....
                              • Stan Blazejewski
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 10, 2007
                                  On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:32:18 +1000, you wrote:

                                  >On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:54 AM
                                  >Ed Brown wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> In the distant past there was some (much) discussion on various anti spam
                                  >> programs.
                                  >
                                  >I've had MailWasher for years--not sure how many! It's great.

                                  Same here, highly recommended. There is a free version but it's well worth
                                  paying for the pro version. The best part of it is that it checks the mail 'at
                                  the ISP level' & junk/spam get deleted 'before' it get downloaded to your
                                  computer... great for the junk/spam that has large attachments.

                                  stanblaz@...
                                  www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)