Re: [NTO] spam

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
      YES, this is my old one. I think I remember how it works. This is the best one that I have ever used and it sets itself with just a little guidance. Thank You
      Ed
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
        On 10/9/07, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@...> wrote:

        > I just use Thunderbird and it does a pretty decent job. Ask the isp if
        > they have a challenge response system available. Those work pretty well
        > too.

        One thing to keep in mind with challenge response programs, they can
        cause all kinds of problems with mailing lists that you belong to -
        you need to be able to do some careful whitelisting, otherwise you can
        end up sending challenges to list members and it can get you banned on
        some mailing lists.

        Also, if you contact someone via a form on their website, you may not
        know the email address that they'll reply from (so you can't really
        whitelist them) and you can end up blocking their replies to you - I
        maintain numerous websites on several domains and people who contact
        me wanting a reply and use those c/r programs never hear from me
        because I refuse to prove I'm not a spammer when they're the ones
        initiating the contact. I suggest keeping a separate address that
        doesn't use the challenge/response program for contacting people thru
        a website form (if you want a reply).

        And there's always the possibility that your c/r program may decide to
        spam everyone you know - SpamArrest did this, they figured that anyone
        sending (legit or not) mail to one of their users was somehow giving
        consent to SpamArrest to send them advertisements about the SpamArrest
        service! Obviously this didn't go over well especially since many of
        those people had no idea that someone they emailed was using
        SpamArrest (because they were already whitelisted by the SpamArrest
        user).

        Filtering your incoming mail is much less intrusive to legitimate
        senders and a much better solution than challenge/response programs,
        imho.

        --
        alice ttlg

        Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
        http://www.populli.org/
        Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
        http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
          "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
          > Ask the isp if they have a challenge response system available.
          > Those work pretty well too.

          That depends on the other party. If I'm posting to ask a favour of
          someone I'll accept that extra step. When answering a post requesting
          something from me I may very well not bother, in fact I'd have to be in
          an exceptionally good mood to do so.
          (In fact this and address faking is the reason I never give a full reply
          first. I only write very few words like "I can help" so I'm not too
          pissed when that mail bounces.)

          And these things seem a bit tricky. I've seen people not setting
          exceptions for list mails they're subscribed to correctly, and that of
          course makes it ridiculous.

          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
            alice ttlg wrote:
            > Filtering your incoming mail is much less intrusive to legitimate
            > senders and a much better solution than challenge/response programs,
            > imho.

            Well said. There may be exceptions. I know a church warden with a well
            known and frequently published address he can't easily change and who
            gets 300 spam (spams? Is spam countable?) per day.
            In the experience of all folks here: How do elderly fuddy-duddies who
            just master email
            copy with those challenges?

            Axel
          • Ed Brown
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
              I guess you would say he is computer challenged? Tell him to quit think old and start studying. Everything worth while has a pretty good, some might even say steep learning curve. You are only as old as you want to be. But evidently he likes to do something else rather than put sometime in studying. And he might need a computer Guru--like you Alex?? You know where to go to get answers. And might be able to help him a great deal. No matter the age, you do what you want to do--at least that is my opinion
              ed

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                It is taking some time to get my acct setup so I will ask you how to removed the [unclassified] in the subject line? You do not have [unclassified] in your subject line. How did you get rid of it. I was having the same problem, everytime I replied my subject line looked like this:
                Re: [unclassified] Re: [NTO] spam

                and with the [unclassified] in the subject line it was causing problems in archiving the messages and I had to delete each time I replied which was one reason that I dropped Popfile.

                Ed

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                  Now that I figured that out, it still puts the name of the bucket in brackets in front of the Re:[NTO]spam
                  subject line is "Re [adobe_ps] program halts." I do not want it to place the name of the bucket in the subject line and I see yours does not do that. How do you get rid of it. When I replied to your message in the subject I saw this: [notetab] Re [NTO] spam and in order to not mess up the archiving of the messages that must not be there. I see it is placed there as soon as a new email arrives and when I reply naturally it is in the subject line also.
                  Scratching head.
                  Ed

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                    Ed Brown wrote:
                    > I guess you would say he is computer challenged? Tell him to quit
                    > think old and start studying.

                    No, not him. Richard is young(-ish) and quite bright if not very
                    technical. But being a church warden he will get mail from very elderly
                    and very computer illiterate parishioners. So my question is, do you
                    suppose these might be put off by a challenge-response from him?

                    N.B: The name's Axel. But I know that English speaking people often
                    automatically substitute the more common (to them) Alex.

                    Axel
                  • Ed Brown
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                      Ah yes that is a problem, if they know how to receive emails and read them that makes it easier. Perhaps he could start a computer class for the elderly or have a local school run an evening class for them for a few weeks. The local community college does that here and there is usually a full class.
                      Ed
                      > I guess you would say he is computer challenged? Tell him to quit
                      > think old and start studying.

                      No, not him. Richard is young(-ish) and quite bright if not very
                      technical. But being a church warden he will get mail from very elderly
                      and very computer illiterate parishioners. So my question is, do you
                      suppose these might be put off by a challenge-response from him?

                      N.B: The name's Axel. But I know that English speaking people often
                      automatically substitute the more common (to them) Alex.

                    • Fay Johnston
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                        On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:54 AM
                        Ed Brown wrote:

                        > In the distant past there was some (much) discussion on various anti spam
                        > programs.

                        I've had MailWasher for years--not sure how many! It's great.

                        http://www.mailwasher.net/
                        Free if you have one email address, and I think now about $50 if you have
                        more than one.
                        It downloads the headers and first 20 lines of each email.
                        Pre-marks recognised spam. It seems to have a pretty extensive list of known
                        spam.
                        Shows size of each email and whether there are attachments.
                        You mark those from friends and it builds a "friends" list.
                        You mark any spam it's missed and those are added to the black list. It
                        doesn't miss very many, though.

                        It has a "bounce" facility, but I don't use that. Seems pretty pointless,
                        since most spam is from faked addresses.

                        You can also click a button to show all of the text in any particular email
                        if you want to.

                        When you've looked through the headers and unwanted mail is marked, you say
                        "Process Mail" and it opens your email client. You then click to "Receive
                        All" and only the good emails are downloaded.
                        (You have to have your client set to never check for email.)

                        A bonus is that if you're on dial-up and see that a friend has sent a 2MB
                        attachment, you can mark that email for deletion, then let the friend know
                        that you weren't able to receive their email because it was too big for your
                        mail program.

                        Updates to paid version are seamless. You d/l the new version of the program
                        and run the setup. It picks up all your existing settings. I don't know
                        whether you get the same updates with the free version.
                      • Jason W.
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                          On 10/9/07, alice ttlg <alice.ttlg@...> wrote:
                          > On 10/9/07, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I just use Thunderbird and it does a pretty decent job. Ask the isp if
                          > > they have a challenge response system available. Those work pretty well
                          > > too.
                          >
                          > One thing to keep in mind with challenge response programs, they can
                          > cause all kinds of problems with mailing lists that you belong to -

                          I'll go further than alice and say C/R is plain evil. It's shifting
                          the cost of filtering spam onto the senders of your email. And
                          sometimes, it's shifting cost onto third parties who have nothing to
                          do with your email.

                          C/R relies on the sender of the email to be correct and that is not
                          always so. Forging the sender on an email is trivial with most userr
                          email programs out there (Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora). So you can
                          bet all the spambots do it :)

                          But what's worse is the address that is forged is often real and
                          valid, so some third party gets challenges for mail that they didn't
                          send. So in effect, they are being spammed by the C/R system.

                          I (and others) could go on & on, but in most anti-spam circles, it's a
                          stain on the ground where the dead horse was. Not that I have a strong
                          opinion about it, mind you ;-)

                          --
                          HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

                          Jason

                          My operat~1 system unders~1 long filena~1, does yours?
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                            "Jason W." wrote:
                            > Not that I have a strong
                            > opinion about it, mind you ;-)

                            Point taken. I am not going to recommend it.

                            Axel
                          • bruce.somers@web.de
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                              This barrage of messages may not fall under the heading SPAM, but it certainly is annoying!

                              Bruce
                            • fw7oaks
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                                That's done with my eMail client. POPFile adds a 'X-Text-Classification header'
                                ('unclassified') and I tell my eMail program to ignore it. However I should
                                add that for Yahoo Groups I use the Webmail interface and rely on Yahoo on
                                pitching the junk, which they do very well, which is why you don't see any
                                pre-selection on this reply.

                                Sadly not every eMail client (program) is clever enough to do the necessary
                                processing.

                                HTH

                                fw

                                --- Ed Brown <ebrown1927@...> wrote:

                                > It is taking some time to get my acct setup so I will ask you how to removed
                                > the [unclassified] in the subject line? You do not have [unclassified] in
                                > your subject line. How did you get rid of it. I was having the same problem,
                                > everytime I replied my subject line looked like this:
                                > Re: [unclassified] Re: [NTO] spam
                                >
                                > and with the [unclassified] in the subject line it was causing problems in
                                > archiving the messages and I had to delete each time I replied which was one
                                > reason that I dropped Popfile.
                                >
                                > Ed

                              • Ed Brown
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                                  Sorry I forgot to remove the hated brackets. And as much spam as there is
                                  any way to stop is desireable. And there are all these Spam removers which
                                  have the ability to learn what is spam and what is not. This topic is not
                                  only boring to you but there are spammers out there who might also find it
                                  boring. And this is the off topic list and anything to help each other is
                                  discussed here.
                                  Ed

                                  .
                                  >This barrage of messages may not fall under the heading >SPAM, but it
                                  >certainly is annoying!
                                  >Bruce

                                  > This barrage of messages may not fall under the heading SPAM, but it
                                  > certainly is annoying!
                                  >
                                  > Bruce
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Alec Burgess
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                                    "Ed Brown" <ebrown1927@...> said on Oct 09, 2007 16:44 -0400 (in
                                    part):

                                    It is taking some time to get my acct setup so I will ask you how to
                                    removed the [unclassified] in the subject line? You do not have
                                    [unclassified] in your subject line. How did you get rid of it. I was
                                    having the same problem, everytime I replied my subject line looked
                                    like this:
                                    Re: [unclassified] Re: [NTO] spam

                                    Ed: the tags can be suppressed for particular buckets - in the Popfile-UI
                                    go to the Buckets tab where you have these choices for each bucket:

                                    - Subject Header Modification
                                    - X-Text-Classification Header
                                    - X-POPFile-Link Header
                                    - Quarantine Message

                                    and with the [unclassified] in the subject line it was causing
                                    problems in archiving the messages and I had to delete each time I
                                    replied which was one reason that I dropped Popfile.

                                    What email client are you using? With Thunderbird you can use the X-Text
                                    Classification as the basis for filtering (including automatically putting
                                    all Unclassified in a particular folder because each one should be
                                    re-classified in the PopFile UI).

                                    If interested have a look at a recent post I made to the Popfile sourceforge
                                    forum:

                                    - *RE: Pre-existing T-Bird filters work with
                                    Pop<https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4555956>
                                    *

                                    I hope you'll give it another try :-) .
                                    K9 is another free one that does a good job.
                                    If you've got the inclination/ability to switch from Yahoo-Web Mail to
                                    Google-gmail you'll find that it does a pretty good job of filtering spam
                                    and with the auto-forward to POP3 account you get (IMO) the best of both
                                    worlds!

                                    Ed

                                  • rosemary@sndc.demon.co.uk
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 10, 2007
                                      Axel-Berger@... wrote:
                                      > alice ttlg wrote:
                                      > > Filtering your incoming mail is much less intrusive to legitimate
                                      > > senders and a much better solution than challenge/response programs,
                                      > > imho.
                                      > Well said. There may be exceptions. I know a church warden with a well
                                      > known and frequently published address he can't easily change and who
                                      > gets 300 spam (spams? Is spam countable?) per day.
                                      > In the experience of all folks here: How do elderly fuddy-duddies who
                                      > just master email
                                      > copy with those challenges?
                                      > Axel

                                      We don't. We just delete them with glee! When we can remember....
                                    • Stan Blazejewski
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 10, 2007
                                        On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:32:18 +1000, you wrote:

                                        >On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:54 AM
                                        >Ed Brown wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> In the distant past there was some (much) discussion on various anti spam
                                        >> programs.
                                        >
                                        >I've had MailWasher for years--not sure how many! It's great.

                                        Same here, highly recommended. There is a free version but it's well worth
                                        paying for the pro version. The best part of it is that it checks the mail 'at
                                        the ISP level' & junk/spam get deleted 'before' it get downloaded to your
                                        computer... great for the junk/spam that has large attachments.

                                        stanblaz@...
                                        www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)