Re: [NTO] spam

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
      Ed Brown wrote:
      > In the distant past there was some (much) discussion on various anti spam programs. I have been without spam for some time now, but it is coming back, I have had one or two several times a week. This morning I had four. I used to have a very good Bayesian spam filter. When I changed to dsl spam all but disappeared. I found the ISP was deleting some good email, so I told them to let my mail through unfiltered. Now I would like to install a good Bayesian spam filter. I have looked at spamassassin and it seems to be useful only if you use Outlook or a server. I looked over the configuration and did not make a lot of sense to me. (however, many things no longer makes sense to me) I can check the ports but I am not sure how to set up the assassin. The other one SpamBayes and it appeared to be pretty difficult to install also. Any have an easy to use Bayesian Spam filter besides those two?? Frank uses or used to use SpamAssassin which seems to require Perl to install, (i do
      not
      > speak Perl) but he is much smarter than I am in any type of computer speak. So if you know of a good one that is simple to install and operate let me know. I cannot even remember the name of the one I used, but in doing a google search it's name never popped up, so may be gone.
      > Ed

      I just use Thunderbird and it does a pretty decent job. Ask the isp if
      they have a challenge response system available. Those work pretty well
      too.
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
        YES, this is my old one. I think I remember how it works. This is the best one that I have ever used and it sets itself with just a little guidance. Thank You
        Ed
        I'm using POPFile, a bit of a fiddle to set up, but the instructions are clear
        enough if you take your time and don't rush, the more spam you get the better
        it gets.

        http://popfile.sourceforge.net/

        HTH

        fw

      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
          On 10/9/07, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@...> wrote:

          > I just use Thunderbird and it does a pretty decent job. Ask the isp if
          > they have a challenge response system available. Those work pretty well
          > too.

          One thing to keep in mind with challenge response programs, they can
          cause all kinds of problems with mailing lists that you belong to -
          you need to be able to do some careful whitelisting, otherwise you can
          end up sending challenges to list members and it can get you banned on
          some mailing lists.

          Also, if you contact someone via a form on their website, you may not
          know the email address that they'll reply from (so you can't really
          whitelist them) and you can end up blocking their replies to you - I
          maintain numerous websites on several domains and people who contact
          me wanting a reply and use those c/r programs never hear from me
          because I refuse to prove I'm not a spammer when they're the ones
          initiating the contact. I suggest keeping a separate address that
          doesn't use the challenge/response program for contacting people thru
          a website form (if you want a reply).

          And there's always the possibility that your c/r program may decide to
          spam everyone you know - SpamArrest did this, they figured that anyone
          sending (legit or not) mail to one of their users was somehow giving
          consent to SpamArrest to send them advertisements about the SpamArrest
          service! Obviously this didn't go over well especially since many of
          those people had no idea that someone they emailed was using
          SpamArrest (because they were already whitelisted by the SpamArrest
          user).

          Filtering your incoming mail is much less intrusive to legitimate
          senders and a much better solution than challenge/response programs,
          imho.

          --
          alice ttlg

          Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
          http://www.populli.org/
          Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
          http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
            "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
            > Ask the isp if they have a challenge response system available.
            > Those work pretty well too.

            That depends on the other party. If I'm posting to ask a favour of
            someone I'll accept that extra step. When answering a post requesting
            something from me I may very well not bother, in fact I'd have to be in
            an exceptionally good mood to do so.
            (In fact this and address faking is the reason I never give a full reply
            first. I only write very few words like "I can help" so I'm not too
            pissed when that mail bounces.)

            And these things seem a bit tricky. I've seen people not setting
            exceptions for list mails they're subscribed to correctly, and that of
            course makes it ridiculous.

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
              alice ttlg wrote:
              > Filtering your incoming mail is much less intrusive to legitimate
              > senders and a much better solution than challenge/response programs,
              > imho.

              Well said. There may be exceptions. I know a church warden with a well
              known and frequently published address he can't easily change and who
              gets 300 spam (spams? Is spam countable?) per day.
              In the experience of all folks here: How do elderly fuddy-duddies who
              just master email
              copy with those challenges?

              Axel
            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                I guess you would say he is computer challenged? Tell him to quit think old and start studying. Everything worth while has a pretty good, some might even say steep learning curve. You are only as old as you want to be. But evidently he likes to do something else rather than put sometime in studying. And he might need a computer Guru--like you Alex?? You know where to go to get answers. And might be able to help him a great deal. No matter the age, you do what you want to do--at least that is my opinion
                ed

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                  It is taking some time to get my acct setup so I will ask you how to removed the [unclassified] in the subject line? You do not have [unclassified] in your subject line. How did you get rid of it. I was having the same problem, everytime I replied my subject line looked like this:
                  Re: [unclassified] Re: [NTO] spam

                  and with the [unclassified] in the subject line it was causing problems in archiving the messages and I had to delete each time I replied which was one reason that I dropped Popfile.

                  Ed

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                    Now that I figured that out, it still puts the name of the bucket in brackets in front of the Re:[NTO]spam
                    subject line is "Re [adobe_ps] program halts." I do not want it to place the name of the bucket in the subject line and I see yours does not do that. How do you get rid of it. When I replied to your message in the subject I saw this: [notetab] Re [NTO] spam and in order to not mess up the archiving of the messages that must not be there. I see it is placed there as soon as a new email arrives and when I reply naturally it is in the subject line also.
                    Scratching head.
                    Ed

                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                      Ed Brown wrote:
                      > I guess you would say he is computer challenged? Tell him to quit
                      > think old and start studying.

                      No, not him. Richard is young(-ish) and quite bright if not very
                      technical. But being a church warden he will get mail from very elderly
                      and very computer illiterate parishioners. So my question is, do you
                      suppose these might be put off by a challenge-response from him?

                      N.B: The name's Axel. But I know that English speaking people often
                      automatically substitute the more common (to them) Alex.

                      Axel
                    • Ed Brown
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                        Ah yes that is a problem, if they know how to receive emails and read them that makes it easier. Perhaps he could start a computer class for the elderly or have a local school run an evening class for them for a few weeks. The local community college does that here and there is usually a full class.
                        Ed
                        > I guess you would say he is computer challenged? Tell him to quit
                        > think old and start studying.

                        No, not him. Richard is young(-ish) and quite bright if not very
                        technical. But being a church warden he will get mail from very elderly
                        and very computer illiterate parishioners. So my question is, do you
                        suppose these might be put off by a challenge-response from him?

                        N.B: The name's Axel. But I know that English speaking people often
                        automatically substitute the more common (to them) Alex.

                      • Fay Johnston
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                          On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:54 AM
                          Ed Brown wrote:

                          > In the distant past there was some (much) discussion on various anti spam
                          > programs.

                          I've had MailWasher for years--not sure how many! It's great.

                          http://www.mailwasher.net/
                          Free if you have one email address, and I think now about $50 if you have
                          more than one.
                          It downloads the headers and first 20 lines of each email.
                          Pre-marks recognised spam. It seems to have a pretty extensive list of known
                          spam.
                          Shows size of each email and whether there are attachments.
                          You mark those from friends and it builds a "friends" list.
                          You mark any spam it's missed and those are added to the black list. It
                          doesn't miss very many, though.

                          It has a "bounce" facility, but I don't use that. Seems pretty pointless,
                          since most spam is from faked addresses.

                          You can also click a button to show all of the text in any particular email
                          if you want to.

                          When you've looked through the headers and unwanted mail is marked, you say
                          "Process Mail" and it opens your email client. You then click to "Receive
                          All" and only the good emails are downloaded.
                          (You have to have your client set to never check for email.)

                          A bonus is that if you're on dial-up and see that a friend has sent a 2MB
                          attachment, you can mark that email for deletion, then let the friend know
                          that you weren't able to receive their email because it was too big for your
                          mail program.

                          Updates to paid version are seamless. You d/l the new version of the program
                          and run the setup. It picks up all your existing settings. I don't know
                          whether you get the same updates with the free version.
                        • Jason W.
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                            On 10/9/07, alice ttlg <alice.ttlg@...> wrote:
                            > On 10/9/07, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I just use Thunderbird and it does a pretty decent job. Ask the isp if
                            > > they have a challenge response system available. Those work pretty well
                            > > too.
                            >
                            > One thing to keep in mind with challenge response programs, they can
                            > cause all kinds of problems with mailing lists that you belong to -

                            I'll go further than alice and say C/R is plain evil. It's shifting
                            the cost of filtering spam onto the senders of your email. And
                            sometimes, it's shifting cost onto third parties who have nothing to
                            do with your email.

                            C/R relies on the sender of the email to be correct and that is not
                            always so. Forging the sender on an email is trivial with most userr
                            email programs out there (Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora). So you can
                            bet all the spambots do it :)

                            But what's worse is the address that is forged is often real and
                            valid, so some third party gets challenges for mail that they didn't
                            send. So in effect, they are being spammed by the C/R system.

                            I (and others) could go on & on, but in most anti-spam circles, it's a
                            stain on the ground where the dead horse was. Not that I have a strong
                            opinion about it, mind you ;-)

                            --
                            HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

                            Jason

                            My operat~1 system unders~1 long filena~1, does yours?
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                              "Jason W." wrote:
                              > Not that I have a strong
                              > opinion about it, mind you ;-)

                              Point taken. I am not going to recommend it.

                              Axel
                            • bruce.somers@web.de
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                                This barrage of messages may not fall under the heading SPAM, but it certainly is annoying!

                                Bruce
                              • fw7oaks
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                                  That's done with my eMail client. POPFile adds a 'X-Text-Classification header'
                                  ('unclassified') and I tell my eMail program to ignore it. However I should
                                  add that for Yahoo Groups I use the Webmail interface and rely on Yahoo on
                                  pitching the junk, which they do very well, which is why you don't see any
                                  pre-selection on this reply.

                                  Sadly not every eMail client (program) is clever enough to do the necessary
                                  processing.

                                  HTH

                                  fw

                                  --- Ed Brown <ebrown1927@...> wrote:

                                  > It is taking some time to get my acct setup so I will ask you how to removed
                                  > the [unclassified] in the subject line? You do not have [unclassified] in
                                  > your subject line. How did you get rid of it. I was having the same problem,
                                  > everytime I replied my subject line looked like this:
                                  > Re: [unclassified] Re: [NTO] spam
                                  >
                                  > and with the [unclassified] in the subject line it was causing problems in
                                  > archiving the messages and I had to delete each time I replied which was one
                                  > reason that I dropped Popfile.
                                  >
                                  > Ed

                                • Ed Brown
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                                    Sorry I forgot to remove the hated brackets. And as much spam as there is
                                    any way to stop is desireable. And there are all these Spam removers which
                                    have the ability to learn what is spam and what is not. This topic is not
                                    only boring to you but there are spammers out there who might also find it
                                    boring. And this is the off topic list and anything to help each other is
                                    discussed here.
                                    Ed

                                    .
                                    >This barrage of messages may not fall under the heading >SPAM, but it
                                    >certainly is annoying!
                                    >Bruce

                                    > This barrage of messages may not fall under the heading SPAM, but it
                                    > certainly is annoying!
                                    >
                                    > Bruce
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Alec Burgess
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
                                      "Ed Brown" <ebrown1927@...> said on Oct 09, 2007 16:44 -0400 (in
                                      part):

                                      It is taking some time to get my acct setup so I will ask you how to
                                      removed the [unclassified] in the subject line? You do not have
                                      [unclassified] in your subject line. How did you get rid of it. I was
                                      having the same problem, everytime I replied my subject line looked
                                      like this:
                                      Re: [unclassified] Re: [NTO] spam

                                      Ed: the tags can be suppressed for particular buckets - in the Popfile-UI
                                      go to the Buckets tab where you have these choices for each bucket:

                                      - Subject Header Modification
                                      - X-Text-Classification Header
                                      - X-POPFile-Link Header
                                      - Quarantine Message

                                      and with the [unclassified] in the subject line it was causing
                                      problems in archiving the messages and I had to delete each time I
                                      replied which was one reason that I dropped Popfile.

                                      What email client are you using? With Thunderbird you can use the X-Text
                                      Classification as the basis for filtering (including automatically putting
                                      all Unclassified in a particular folder because each one should be
                                      re-classified in the PopFile UI).

                                      If interested have a look at a recent post I made to the Popfile sourceforge
                                      forum:

                                      - *RE: Pre-existing T-Bird filters work with
                                      Pop<https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4555956>
                                      *

                                      I hope you'll give it another try :-) .
                                      K9 is another free one that does a good job.
                                      If you've got the inclination/ability to switch from Yahoo-Web Mail to
                                      Google-gmail you'll find that it does a pretty good job of filtering spam
                                      and with the auto-forward to POP3 account you get (IMO) the best of both
                                      worlds!

                                      Ed

                                    • rosemary@sndc.demon.co.uk
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 10, 2007
                                        Axel-Berger@... wrote:
                                        > alice ttlg wrote:
                                        > > Filtering your incoming mail is much less intrusive to legitimate
                                        > > senders and a much better solution than challenge/response programs,
                                        > > imho.
                                        > Well said. There may be exceptions. I know a church warden with a well
                                        > known and frequently published address he can't easily change and who
                                        > gets 300 spam (spams? Is spam countable?) per day.
                                        > In the experience of all folks here: How do elderly fuddy-duddies who
                                        > just master email
                                        > copy with those challenges?
                                        > Axel

                                        We don't. We just delete them with glee! When we can remember....
                                      • Stan Blazejewski
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 10, 2007
                                          On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:32:18 +1000, you wrote:

                                          >On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:54 AM
                                          >Ed Brown wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> In the distant past there was some (much) discussion on various anti spam
                                          >> programs.
                                          >
                                          >I've had MailWasher for years--not sure how many! It's great.

                                          Same here, highly recommended. There is a free version but it's well worth
                                          paying for the pro version. The best part of it is that it checks the mail 'at
                                          the ISP level' & junk/spam get deleted 'before' it get downloaded to your
                                          computer... great for the junk/spam that has large attachments.

                                          stanblaz@...
                                          www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)