Re: [NTO] Setup files

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2007
      Axel,

      Where did you get the trial version from? If you have the registered
      version of NoteTab and use the News and Updates feature to download
      updates, then you will be downloading the latest update of the
      registered version - not a trial version.

      The only difference with the updates and the original full setup file is
      that the English thesaurus and dictionary are not included. But those
      can be downloaded any time from the NoteTab web site.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 10, 2007
        Eric Fookes wrote:
        > If you have the registered version of NoteTab and use the News
        > and Updates feature to download updates, then you will be
        > downloading the latest update of the registered version
        > - not a trial version.

        Let's see if I've understood that correctly: The "ntp550_Setup.exe" I
        have just got is not the same file distributed to everyone but a
        personalized one for me. So if I lose everything on my computer and
        start from scratch on a new one, this one single file is all I need to
        become a fully registered pro-user again.
        You might make that plainer for dumbos like me. The conventional way is
        to serve one file to everyone and read registration details from the
        registry, so one needs to backup more than just the last downloaded
        version.
        Or, if I've still not got it, could you explain further.

        Axel
      • Alan C
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 10, 2007
          On 10/10/07, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

          > Eric Fookes wrote:
          > > If you have the registered version of NoteTab and use the News
          > > and Updates feature to download updates, then you will be
          > > downloading the latest update of the registered version
          > > - not a trial version.
          >
          > Let's see if I've understood that correctly: The "ntp550_Setup.exe" I
          > have just got is not the same file distributed to everyone but a
          > personalized one for me.

          I think the only "personalization" here is that "News and Updates"
          checks/authenticates/knows that your current installation is a genuine
          licensed; then it allows you to download the updated or latest version of
          the original setup file. (I think it is more of an authentication
          check/verify rather than a "personalization"). (so I think "no it is not
          "personalized" but it did "authenticate" which in turn allowed the download
          to begin).

          <quote>
          The only difference with the updates and the original full setup file is
          that the English thesaurus and dictionary are not included. But those
          can be downloaded any time from the NoteTab web site.
          </quote>

          I think, in actuality, that *perhaps* would read as "further difference"
          instead of "only difference" due to the downloaded or update setup file
          differs from the original setup file in that the download contains the
          latest version of Notetab rather than what your original setup file contains
          which may be an older (not latest) version of Notetab.

          To recap: First difference is the download which is the very latest version
          of Notetab (your orig setup file may be an older version of Notetab). And,
          further noted differences, are what Eric said about the thesaurus and
          dictionary files.

          So if I lose everything on my computer and
          > start from scratch on a new one,

          [ . . ]

          Then all you should need is the most recent download that you had received
          through "News and Updates" (put that downloaded puppy onto a cd disk or
          elsewhere for safe keeping) for it is the setup/installation. And, said
          dictionary and thesaurus files mentioned elsewhere herein. And (if you want
          your own or your personal settings back) then you need to have previously
          saved or backed up to somewhere a copy of notepro.ini (or the main app ini
          if it is not Notetab Pro) so that you can restore back this .ini (overwrite
          the file using your backed up copy to do so) (also -- always back up an
          original before it gets overwritten) -- do or accomplish this last step
          (ini) after you get Notetab installed and up and running.

          --
          Alan.

        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
            Hi Axel,

            > Let's see if I've understood that correctly: The "ntp550_Setup.exe" I
            > have just got is not the same file distributed to everyone but a
            > personalized one for me.

            I don't understand what you mean by "personalized". Everyone downloading
            the update through the registered version of NoteTab Pro 5 gets the same
            file. Obviously, those who don't have the registered version of NoteTab
            cannot download the registered update this way.

            > So if I lose everything on my computer and
            > start from scratch on a new one, this one single file is all I need to
            > become a fully registered pro-user again.

            Yes, that is correct. And it enables you to download future free
            updates. As mentioned earlier, you'd have to download the dictionary and
            thesaurus files to benefit from those features.

            > You might make that plainer for dumbos like me. The conventional way is
            > to serve one file to everyone and read registration details from the
            > registry, so one needs to backup more than just the last downloaded
            > version.

            There is no conventional way. There are many different methods for the
            delivery of registered updates.

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
              Eric Fookes wrote:
              > Everyone downloading the update through the registered version
              > of NoteTab Pro 5 gets the same file. Obviously, those who don't
              > have the registered version of NoteTab
              > cannot download the registered update this way.

              So that's where the registration is "hidden", i.e. where you tell the
              difference between between a registered user and one that's not.
              Seems even I have got that now.
              But tell me:
              With other ways of registration you can't usually prevent distribution
              but you can at least pinpoint the source of those copies. It seems that
              you have no means of preventing dozens of recipients becoming "new
              users" with full access to update.
              Thank you for your trust in all our honesty.

              Axel
            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
                Hi Axel,

                >> Everyone downloading the update through the registered version
                >> of NoteTab Pro 5 gets the same file. Obviously, those who don't
                >> have the registered version of NoteTab
                >> cannot download the registered update this way.
                >
                > So that's where the registration is "hidden", i.e. where you tell the
                > difference between between a registered user and one that's not.
                > Seems even I have got that now.

                There is no hidden registration. The paid version of NoteTab is a
                different file from the trial version. If you have the paid version,
                then you can download updates of the paid version. If you have the trial
                version, you cannot get copies of the paid version through the update
                feature.

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/