Re: [NTO] Setup files

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2007
      Eric Fookes wrote:
      > You only need to keep the backup of the latest update you downloaded

      Yes, I was aware of that. What I meant is this: Of all prgrams I bought
      or use regularly I keep the setup files somewhere separate so I can
      install them from scratch again on a virgin drive. Just running the 5.4
      setup will only yield me a trial version. Do I then copy in a -
      possibly older - .EXE saved separately and run the setup again, or
      what?

      Am I right that the big 3 MB setup was my registered one and if I only
      install that I can then update from whatever source I like? If so,
      keeping that one is probably best, isn't it?

      Axel
    • Eric Fookes
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2007
        Axel,

        Where did you get the trial version from? If you have the registered
        version of NoteTab and use the News and Updates feature to download
        updates, then you will be downloading the latest update of the
        registered version - not a trial version.

        The only difference with the updates and the original full setup file is
        that the English thesaurus and dictionary are not included. But those
        can be downloaded any time from the NoteTab web site.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 10, 2007
          Eric Fookes wrote:
          > If you have the registered version of NoteTab and use the News
          > and Updates feature to download updates, then you will be
          > downloading the latest update of the registered version
          > - not a trial version.

          Let's see if I've understood that correctly: The "ntp550_Setup.exe" I
          have just got is not the same file distributed to everyone but a
          personalized one for me. So if I lose everything on my computer and
          start from scratch on a new one, this one single file is all I need to
          become a fully registered pro-user again.
          You might make that plainer for dumbos like me. The conventional way is
          to serve one file to everyone and read registration details from the
          registry, so one needs to backup more than just the last downloaded
          version.
          Or, if I've still not got it, could you explain further.

          Axel
        • Alan C
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 10, 2007
            On 10/10/07, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

            > Eric Fookes wrote:
            > > If you have the registered version of NoteTab and use the News
            > > and Updates feature to download updates, then you will be
            > > downloading the latest update of the registered version
            > > - not a trial version.
            >
            > Let's see if I've understood that correctly: The "ntp550_Setup.exe" I
            > have just got is not the same file distributed to everyone but a
            > personalized one for me.

            I think the only "personalization" here is that "News and Updates"
            checks/authenticates/knows that your current installation is a genuine
            licensed; then it allows you to download the updated or latest version of
            the original setup file. (I think it is more of an authentication
            check/verify rather than a "personalization"). (so I think "no it is not
            "personalized" but it did "authenticate" which in turn allowed the download
            to begin).

            <quote>
            The only difference with the updates and the original full setup file is
            that the English thesaurus and dictionary are not included. But those
            can be downloaded any time from the NoteTab web site.
            </quote>

            I think, in actuality, that *perhaps* would read as "further difference"
            instead of "only difference" due to the downloaded or update setup file
            differs from the original setup file in that the download contains the
            latest version of Notetab rather than what your original setup file contains
            which may be an older (not latest) version of Notetab.

            To recap: First difference is the download which is the very latest version
            of Notetab (your orig setup file may be an older version of Notetab). And,
            further noted differences, are what Eric said about the thesaurus and
            dictionary files.

            So if I lose everything on my computer and
            > start from scratch on a new one,

            [ . . ]

            Then all you should need is the most recent download that you had received
            through "News and Updates" (put that downloaded puppy onto a cd disk or
            elsewhere for safe keeping) for it is the setup/installation. And, said
            dictionary and thesaurus files mentioned elsewhere herein. And (if you want
            your own or your personal settings back) then you need to have previously
            saved or backed up to somewhere a copy of notepro.ini (or the main app ini
            if it is not Notetab Pro) so that you can restore back this .ini (overwrite
            the file using your backed up copy to do so) (also -- always back up an
            original before it gets overwritten) -- do or accomplish this last step
            (ini) after you get Notetab installed and up and running.

            --
            Alan.

          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
              Hi Axel,

              > Let's see if I've understood that correctly: The "ntp550_Setup.exe" I
              > have just got is not the same file distributed to everyone but a
              > personalized one for me.

              I don't understand what you mean by "personalized". Everyone downloading
              the update through the registered version of NoteTab Pro 5 gets the same
              file. Obviously, those who don't have the registered version of NoteTab
              cannot download the registered update this way.

              > So if I lose everything on my computer and
              > start from scratch on a new one, this one single file is all I need to
              > become a fully registered pro-user again.

              Yes, that is correct. And it enables you to download future free
              updates. As mentioned earlier, you'd have to download the dictionary and
              thesaurus files to benefit from those features.

              > You might make that plainer for dumbos like me. The conventional way is
              > to serve one file to everyone and read registration details from the
              > registry, so one needs to backup more than just the last downloaded
              > version.

              There is no conventional way. There are many different methods for the
              delivery of registered updates.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
                Eric Fookes wrote:
                > Everyone downloading the update through the registered version
                > of NoteTab Pro 5 gets the same file. Obviously, those who don't
                > have the registered version of NoteTab
                > cannot download the registered update this way.

                So that's where the registration is "hidden", i.e. where you tell the
                difference between between a registered user and one that's not.
                Seems even I have got that now.
                But tell me:
                With other ways of registration you can't usually prevent distribution
                but you can at least pinpoint the source of those copies. It seems that
                you have no means of preventing dozens of recipients becoming "new
                users" with full access to update.
                Thank you for your trust in all our honesty.

                Axel
              • Eric Fookes
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
                  Hi Axel,

                  >> Everyone downloading the update through the registered version
                  >> of NoteTab Pro 5 gets the same file. Obviously, those who don't
                  >> have the registered version of NoteTab
                  >> cannot download the registered update this way.
                  >
                  > So that's where the registration is "hidden", i.e. where you tell the
                  > difference between between a registered user and one that's not.
                  > Seems even I have got that now.

                  There is no hidden registration. The paid version of NoteTab is a
                  different file from the trial version. If you have the paid version,
                  then you can download updates of the paid version. If you have the trial
                  version, you cannot get copies of the paid version through the update
                  feature.

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/