Setup files

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
      After several updates the number of setup files on my disk has risen. If
      I remember correctly I did not register my copy but downloaded a special
      registered one.

      Now I have setups for an unnamed pro-version plus the ones for 5.2, 5.3,
      and 5.4, all about 1.8 MB in size, plus one setup for 5.1 with a size of
      3 MB.
      Am I right in assuming this last one has my registration, so I need to
      keep that forever plus the latest of the others to be able to reinstall
      NoteTab should the need arise, and can delete the three others with
      impunity?

      Danke
      Axel
    • Eric Fookes
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi Axel,

        You only need to keep the backup of the latest update you downloaded
        (i.e. the 5.4 one). Even just keeping the NotePro.exe program file is
        enough to download the latest free updates later on.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2007
          Eric Fookes wrote:
          > You only need to keep the backup of the latest update you downloaded

          Yes, I was aware of that. What I meant is this: Of all prgrams I bought
          or use regularly I keep the setup files somewhere separate so I can
          install them from scratch again on a virgin drive. Just running the 5.4
          setup will only yield me a trial version. Do I then copy in a -
          possibly older - .EXE saved separately and run the setup again, or
          what?

          Am I right that the big 3 MB setup was my registered one and if I only
          install that I can then update from whatever source I like? If so,
          keeping that one is probably best, isn't it?

          Axel
        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2007
            Axel,

            Where did you get the trial version from? If you have the registered
            version of NoteTab and use the News and Updates feature to download
            updates, then you will be downloading the latest update of the
            registered version - not a trial version.

            The only difference with the updates and the original full setup file is
            that the English thesaurus and dictionary are not included. But those
            can be downloaded any time from the NoteTab web site.

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 10, 2007
              Eric Fookes wrote:
              > If you have the registered version of NoteTab and use the News
              > and Updates feature to download updates, then you will be
              > downloading the latest update of the registered version
              > - not a trial version.

              Let's see if I've understood that correctly: The "ntp550_Setup.exe" I
              have just got is not the same file distributed to everyone but a
              personalized one for me. So if I lose everything on my computer and
              start from scratch on a new one, this one single file is all I need to
              become a fully registered pro-user again.
              You might make that plainer for dumbos like me. The conventional way is
              to serve one file to everyone and read registration details from the
              registry, so one needs to backup more than just the last downloaded
              version.
              Or, if I've still not got it, could you explain further.

              Axel
            • Alan C
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 10, 2007
                On 10/10/07, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                > Eric Fookes wrote:
                > > If you have the registered version of NoteTab and use the News
                > > and Updates feature to download updates, then you will be
                > > downloading the latest update of the registered version
                > > - not a trial version.
                >
                > Let's see if I've understood that correctly: The "ntp550_Setup.exe" I
                > have just got is not the same file distributed to everyone but a
                > personalized one for me.

                I think the only "personalization" here is that "News and Updates"
                checks/authenticates/knows that your current installation is a genuine
                licensed; then it allows you to download the updated or latest version of
                the original setup file. (I think it is more of an authentication
                check/verify rather than a "personalization"). (so I think "no it is not
                "personalized" but it did "authenticate" which in turn allowed the download
                to begin).

                <quote>
                The only difference with the updates and the original full setup file is
                that the English thesaurus and dictionary are not included. But those
                can be downloaded any time from the NoteTab web site.
                </quote>

                I think, in actuality, that *perhaps* would read as "further difference"
                instead of "only difference" due to the downloaded or update setup file
                differs from the original setup file in that the download contains the
                latest version of Notetab rather than what your original setup file contains
                which may be an older (not latest) version of Notetab.

                To recap: First difference is the download which is the very latest version
                of Notetab (your orig setup file may be an older version of Notetab). And,
                further noted differences, are what Eric said about the thesaurus and
                dictionary files.

                So if I lose everything on my computer and
                > start from scratch on a new one,

                [ . . ]

                Then all you should need is the most recent download that you had received
                through "News and Updates" (put that downloaded puppy onto a cd disk or
                elsewhere for safe keeping) for it is the setup/installation. And, said
                dictionary and thesaurus files mentioned elsewhere herein. And (if you want
                your own or your personal settings back) then you need to have previously
                saved or backed up to somewhere a copy of notepro.ini (or the main app ini
                if it is not Notetab Pro) so that you can restore back this .ini (overwrite
                the file using your backed up copy to do so) (also -- always back up an
                original before it gets overwritten) -- do or accomplish this last step
                (ini) after you get Notetab installed and up and running.

                --
                Alan.

              • Eric Fookes
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
                  Hi Axel,

                  > Let's see if I've understood that correctly: The "ntp550_Setup.exe" I
                  > have just got is not the same file distributed to everyone but a
                  > personalized one for me.

                  I don't understand what you mean by "personalized". Everyone downloading
                  the update through the registered version of NoteTab Pro 5 gets the same
                  file. Obviously, those who don't have the registered version of NoteTab
                  cannot download the registered update this way.

                  > So if I lose everything on my computer and
                  > start from scratch on a new one, this one single file is all I need to
                  > become a fully registered pro-user again.

                  Yes, that is correct. And it enables you to download future free
                  updates. As mentioned earlier, you'd have to download the dictionary and
                  thesaurus files to benefit from those features.

                  > You might make that plainer for dumbos like me. The conventional way is
                  > to serve one file to everyone and read registration details from the
                  > registry, so one needs to backup more than just the last downloaded
                  > version.

                  There is no conventional way. There are many different methods for the
                  delivery of registered updates.

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
                    Eric Fookes wrote:
                    > Everyone downloading the update through the registered version
                    > of NoteTab Pro 5 gets the same file. Obviously, those who don't
                    > have the registered version of NoteTab
                    > cannot download the registered update this way.

                    So that's where the registration is "hidden", i.e. where you tell the
                    difference between between a registered user and one that's not.
                    Seems even I have got that now.
                    But tell me:
                    With other ways of registration you can't usually prevent distribution
                    but you can at least pinpoint the source of those copies. It seems that
                    you have no means of preventing dozens of recipients becoming "new
                    users" with full access to update.
                    Thank you for your trust in all our honesty.

                    Axel
                  • Eric Fookes
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
                      Hi Axel,

                      >> Everyone downloading the update through the registered version
                      >> of NoteTab Pro 5 gets the same file. Obviously, those who don't
                      >> have the registered version of NoteTab
                      >> cannot download the registered update this way.
                      >
                      > So that's where the registration is "hidden", i.e. where you tell the
                      > difference between between a registered user and one that's not.
                      > Seems even I have got that now.

                      There is no hidden registration. The paid version of NoteTab is a
                      different file from the trial version. If you have the paid version,
                      then you can download updates of the paid version. If you have the trial
                      version, you cannot get copies of the paid version through the update
                      feature.

                      Eric Fookes
                      http://www.fookes.com/