Re: [NTO] Add Blog To Website

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 29 11:17 PM
      sisterscape wrote:
      > The DB shifts things around accordingly and keeps track of cross-
      > references etc. Doing this in straight HTML would be pure torture!

      I'll admit there is something in that. Though for all here facing
      similar problems in straight HTML may I remind you of the basic W3C
      article:

      "Cool URIs don't change": http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

      Basically if you name and place files for what they are rather than for
      what you're using them for at the moment, you can completely rearrange
      your pages without having to move stuff. Many companies and other big
      organisations rubbish all your bookmarks every couple of months or so as
      a matter if course. On my own site I provide forwarding files and even a
      server redirect for those who might have bookmarked an ill-chosen
      earlier arrangement of things.

      Axel
    • alice ttlg
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 30 7:32 AM
        On 9/30/07, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

        > I'll admit there is something in that. Though for all here facing
        > similar problems in straight HTML may I remind you of the basic W3C
        > article:
        >
        > "Cool URIs don't change": http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

        Actually, that's exactly what MovableType (similar to WordPress) does
        - it can do the same date type archive structure that they espouse in
        that article. I think that WordPress can too, it's something you
        chose when you set up either program. MT can also archive by category
        which can be more useful depending on the type of site and it can also
        do both types of archives at the same time, category and date
        structure - iirc WP can also do that.

        So CMS can be very useful for creating good, long-lasting URIs and
        it's all created on the fly as you add new articles or new categories,
        as time changes and a new month or new year rolls around, the CMS
        automatically creates the necessary folders to store the addiitional
        new content.

        --
        alice ttlg

        Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
        http://www.populli.org/
        Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
        http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
      • Hugo Paulissen
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 30 3:56 PM
          >Basically if you name and place files for what they are rather than for
          >what you're using them for at the moment, you can completely rearrange
          >your pages without having to move stuff. Many companies and other big
          >organisations rubbish all your bookmarks every couple of months or so as
          >a matter if course. On my own site I provide forwarding files and even a
          >server redirect for those who might have bookmarked an ill-chosen
          >earlier arrangement of things.

          Hi Axel,

          That's where tags, categories and archives come into play: good
          blogsoftware organizes your entries according to your own specification,
          with paths and URLs completely to your own liking.

          I've been using Movable Type for a couple of years, not to write a blog
          for my own, but in order to provide students to maintain their own blog.
          At the time of selection MT was the most flexible solution, and one
          license/installation was capable of running multiple blogs with multiple
          authors. That may have changed, I do not follow the market anymore,
          since I'm not involved in that task anymore.

          Anyhow: MT was great, because it allowed the unskilled to create webpages
          (and upload documents) easily, whereas the skilled still were able to customize
          templates, css, page-arrangements etc.

          I never regretted my choice.

          Hugo

          BTW: I have used MT to create a regular website - this allowed other people
          to maintain the site without extensive training. This worked out very well.