Re: [NTO] Add Blog To Website

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
      --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

      > See: http://themes.wordpress.net/
      >
      > And then you can customize one or make your own too ...
      >
      > Possibilities are endless.

      Checking out available themes is a good suggestion and the best way to
      start. While it is possible to customize a theme like I did for
      Waterstone, doing so requires skills that you would have to develop.
      Let me tell you . . . when I put that together, there was a lot of
      gnashing of teeth and unrepeatable phrases muttered under my breath!!

      Let us know how it goes for you.

      http://sims.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
        sisterscape wrote:
        > The DB shifts things around accordingly and keeps track of cross-
        > references etc. Doing this in straight HTML would be pure torture!

        I'll admit there is something in that. Though for all here facing
        similar problems in straight HTML may I remind you of the basic W3C
        article:

        "Cool URIs don't change": http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

        Basically if you name and place files for what they are rather than for
        what you're using them for at the moment, you can completely rearrange
        your pages without having to move stuff. Many companies and other big
        organisations rubbish all your bookmarks every couple of months or so as
        a matter if course. On my own site I provide forwarding files and even a
        server redirect for those who might have bookmarked an ill-chosen
        earlier arrangement of things.

        Axel
      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 30, 2007
          On 9/30/07, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

          > I'll admit there is something in that. Though for all here facing
          > similar problems in straight HTML may I remind you of the basic W3C
          > article:
          >
          > "Cool URIs don't change": http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

          Actually, that's exactly what MovableType (similar to WordPress) does
          - it can do the same date type archive structure that they espouse in
          that article. I think that WordPress can too, it's something you
          chose when you set up either program. MT can also archive by category
          which can be more useful depending on the type of site and it can also
          do both types of archives at the same time, category and date
          structure - iirc WP can also do that.

          So CMS can be very useful for creating good, long-lasting URIs and
          it's all created on the fly as you add new articles or new categories,
          as time changes and a new month or new year rolls around, the CMS
          automatically creates the necessary folders to store the addiitional
          new content.

          --
          alice ttlg

          Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
          http://www.populli.org/
          Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
          http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
        • Hugo Paulissen
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 30, 2007
            >Basically if you name and place files for what they are rather than for
            >what you're using them for at the moment, you can completely rearrange
            >your pages without having to move stuff. Many companies and other big
            >organisations rubbish all your bookmarks every couple of months or so as
            >a matter if course. On my own site I provide forwarding files and even a
            >server redirect for those who might have bookmarked an ill-chosen
            >earlier arrangement of things.

            Hi Axel,

            That's where tags, categories and archives come into play: good
            blogsoftware organizes your entries according to your own specification,
            with paths and URLs completely to your own liking.

            I've been using Movable Type for a couple of years, not to write a blog
            for my own, but in order to provide students to maintain their own blog.
            At the time of selection MT was the most flexible solution, and one
            license/installation was capable of running multiple blogs with multiple
            authors. That may have changed, I do not follow the market anymore,
            since I'm not involved in that task anymore.

            Anyhow: MT was great, because it allowed the unskilled to create webpages
            (and upload documents) easily, whereas the skilled still were able to customize
            templates, css, page-arrangements etc.

            I never regretted my choice.

            Hugo

            BTW: I have used MT to create a regular website - this allowed other people
            to maintain the site without extensive training. This worked out very well.