Re: [NTO] Add Blog To Website

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      > Don, sister, Axel, alice, Julie,
      >
      > Wow! Thank you all for your very helpful replies. Mysql, php, and blogs are
      > all new to me. I'll be playing with the WordPress offering for quite a while.
      > If the Waterstone Journal is a typical example of what can be done, it surely
      > will be worth the effort.
      >
      > Thanks again,
      >
      > Ray Shapp
      And Ray,

      The content and the display are entirely divorced from each other so you
      can change the look with a click of a button and the same content
      presents. See: http://themes.wordpress.net/

      And then you can customize one or make your own too ...

      Possibilities are endless. Almost as good as notetab and probably my
      second or third most used thing (notetab clearly #1)

      Don
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
        --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

        > See: http://themes.wordpress.net/
        >
        > And then you can customize one or make your own too ...
        >
        > Possibilities are endless.

        Checking out available themes is a good suggestion and the best way to
        start. While it is possible to customize a theme like I did for
        Waterstone, doing so requires skills that you would have to develop.
        Let me tell you . . . when I put that together, there was a lot of
        gnashing of teeth and unrepeatable phrases muttered under my breath!!

        Let us know how it goes for you.

        http://sims.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
          sisterscape wrote:
          > The DB shifts things around accordingly and keeps track of cross-
          > references etc. Doing this in straight HTML would be pure torture!

          I'll admit there is something in that. Though for all here facing
          similar problems in straight HTML may I remind you of the basic W3C
          article:

          "Cool URIs don't change": http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

          Basically if you name and place files for what they are rather than for
          what you're using them for at the moment, you can completely rearrange
          your pages without having to move stuff. Many companies and other big
          organisations rubbish all your bookmarks every couple of months or so as
          a matter if course. On my own site I provide forwarding files and even a
          server redirect for those who might have bookmarked an ill-chosen
          earlier arrangement of things.

          Axel
        • alice ttlg
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 30, 2007
            On 9/30/07, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

            > I'll admit there is something in that. Though for all here facing
            > similar problems in straight HTML may I remind you of the basic W3C
            > article:
            >
            > "Cool URIs don't change": http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

            Actually, that's exactly what MovableType (similar to WordPress) does
            - it can do the same date type archive structure that they espouse in
            that article. I think that WordPress can too, it's something you
            chose when you set up either program. MT can also archive by category
            which can be more useful depending on the type of site and it can also
            do both types of archives at the same time, category and date
            structure - iirc WP can also do that.

            So CMS can be very useful for creating good, long-lasting URIs and
            it's all created on the fly as you add new articles or new categories,
            as time changes and a new month or new year rolls around, the CMS
            automatically creates the necessary folders to store the addiitional
            new content.

            --
            alice ttlg

            Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
            http://www.populli.org/
            Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
            http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
          • Hugo Paulissen
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 30, 2007
              >Basically if you name and place files for what they are rather than for
              >what you're using them for at the moment, you can completely rearrange
              >your pages without having to move stuff. Many companies and other big
              >organisations rubbish all your bookmarks every couple of months or so as
              >a matter if course. On my own site I provide forwarding files and even a
              >server redirect for those who might have bookmarked an ill-chosen
              >earlier arrangement of things.

              Hi Axel,

              That's where tags, categories and archives come into play: good
              blogsoftware organizes your entries according to your own specification,
              with paths and URLs completely to your own liking.

              I've been using Movable Type for a couple of years, not to write a blog
              for my own, but in order to provide students to maintain their own blog.
              At the time of selection MT was the most flexible solution, and one
              license/installation was capable of running multiple blogs with multiple
              authors. That may have changed, I do not follow the market anymore,
              since I'm not involved in that task anymore.

              Anyhow: MT was great, because it allowed the unskilled to create webpages
              (and upload documents) easily, whereas the skilled still were able to customize
              templates, css, page-arrangements etc.

              I never regretted my choice.

              Hugo

              BTW: I have used MT to create a regular website - this allowed other people
              to maintain the site without extensive training. This worked out very well.