Re: [NTO] Add Blog To Website

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
      --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

      > The difference is that it is a content management system and you can
      > add/delete content at will free of most html concerns. It will build
      >
      > your directories on the fly, keep things in a searchable data base,
      > etc.

      Several of you beat me to the answer. I use WP to present journal
      entries for a wildlife management site which is updated every year.
      You can see it here:

      http://www.waterstonewildlife.org/journal/

      The DB shifts things around accordingly and keeps track of
      cross-references etc. Doing this in straight HTML would be pure torture!

      that gives answers, not web links.
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
        Don, sister, Axel, alice, Julie,

        Wow! Thank you all for your very helpful replies. Mysql, php, and blogs are
        all new to me. I'll be playing with the WordPress offering for quite a while.
        If the Waterstone Journal is a typical example of what can be done, it surely
        will be worth the effort.

        Thanks again,

        Ray Shapp
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
          Ray Shapp wrote:
          > Don, sister, Axel, alice, Julie,
          >
          > Wow! Thank you all for your very helpful replies. Mysql, php, and blogs are
          > all new to me. I'll be playing with the WordPress offering for quite a while.
          > If the Waterstone Journal is a typical example of what can be done, it surely
          > will be worth the effort.
          >
          > Thanks again,
          >
          > Ray Shapp
          And Ray,

          The content and the display are entirely divorced from each other so you
          can change the look with a click of a button and the same content
          presents. See: http://themes.wordpress.net/

          And then you can customize one or make your own too ...

          Possibilities are endless. Almost as good as notetab and probably my
          second or third most used thing (notetab clearly #1)

          Don
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
            --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

            > See: http://themes.wordpress.net/
            >
            > And then you can customize one or make your own too ...
            >
            > Possibilities are endless.

            Checking out available themes is a good suggestion and the best way to
            start. While it is possible to customize a theme like I did for
            Waterstone, doing so requires skills that you would have to develop.
            Let me tell you . . . when I put that together, there was a lot of
            gnashing of teeth and unrepeatable phrases muttered under my breath!!

            Let us know how it goes for you.

            http://sims.yahoo.com/
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
              sisterscape wrote:
              > The DB shifts things around accordingly and keeps track of cross-
              > references etc. Doing this in straight HTML would be pure torture!

              I'll admit there is something in that. Though for all here facing
              similar problems in straight HTML may I remind you of the basic W3C
              article:

              "Cool URIs don't change": http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

              Basically if you name and place files for what they are rather than for
              what you're using them for at the moment, you can completely rearrange
              your pages without having to move stuff. Many companies and other big
              organisations rubbish all your bookmarks every couple of months or so as
              a matter if course. On my own site I provide forwarding files and even a
              server redirect for those who might have bookmarked an ill-chosen
              earlier arrangement of things.

              Axel
            • alice ttlg
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 30, 2007
                On 9/30/07, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                > I'll admit there is something in that. Though for all here facing
                > similar problems in straight HTML may I remind you of the basic W3C
                > article:
                >
                > "Cool URIs don't change": http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

                Actually, that's exactly what MovableType (similar to WordPress) does
                - it can do the same date type archive structure that they espouse in
                that article. I think that WordPress can too, it's something you
                chose when you set up either program. MT can also archive by category
                which can be more useful depending on the type of site and it can also
                do both types of archives at the same time, category and date
                structure - iirc WP can also do that.

                So CMS can be very useful for creating good, long-lasting URIs and
                it's all created on the fly as you add new articles or new categories,
                as time changes and a new month or new year rolls around, the CMS
                automatically creates the necessary folders to store the addiitional
                new content.

                --
                alice ttlg

                Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
                http://www.populli.org/
                Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
                http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
              • Hugo Paulissen
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 30, 2007
                  >Basically if you name and place files for what they are rather than for
                  >what you're using them for at the moment, you can completely rearrange
                  >your pages without having to move stuff. Many companies and other big
                  >organisations rubbish all your bookmarks every couple of months or so as
                  >a matter if course. On my own site I provide forwarding files and even a
                  >server redirect for those who might have bookmarked an ill-chosen
                  >earlier arrangement of things.

                  Hi Axel,

                  That's where tags, categories and archives come into play: good
                  blogsoftware organizes your entries according to your own specification,
                  with paths and URLs completely to your own liking.

                  I've been using Movable Type for a couple of years, not to write a blog
                  for my own, but in order to provide students to maintain their own blog.
                  At the time of selection MT was the most flexible solution, and one
                  license/installation was capable of running multiple blogs with multiple
                  authors. That may have changed, I do not follow the market anymore,
                  since I'm not involved in that task anymore.

                  Anyhow: MT was great, because it allowed the unskilled to create webpages
                  (and upload documents) easily, whereas the skilled still were able to customize
                  templates, css, page-arrangements etc.

                  I never regretted my choice.

                  Hugo

                  BTW: I have used MT to create a regular website - this allowed other people
                  to maintain the site without extensive training. This worked out very well.