Re: [NTO] Add Blog To Website

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
      Julie wrote:
      > I swear by WordPress but it's the only CMS I've used. :-) Been using
      > it for 1.5 years now on a fansite I co-admin, with plug-ins to
      > prevent spam and the only comments that sneak through to be moderated
      > are the real ones. The two other gals that post to this 'news' page
      > have no knowledge of HTML and find it very easy to use. Dreamhost
      > makes the upgrades extremely easy too.
      >
      > Julie

      I host/provide hosting for a number of WordPress Blogs/CMS's for
      clients, as well as a number of my own. They really work well. I have
      also have experience with three other similar programs, but WP is the
      best and better with every release. Multiple authors and contributors,
      another reason. RSS feeds ... now there is a huge plus vs regular web
      pages. Look that up! Subscribers know of additions almost immediately.
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
        --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

        > The difference is that it is a content management system and you can
        > add/delete content at will free of most html concerns. It will build
        >
        > your directories on the fly, keep things in a searchable data base,
        > etc.

        Several of you beat me to the answer. I use WP to present journal
        entries for a wildlife management site which is updated every year.
        You can see it here:

        http://www.waterstonewildlife.org/journal/

        The DB shifts things around accordingly and keeps track of
        cross-references etc. Doing this in straight HTML would be pure torture!

        that gives answers, not web links.
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
          Don, sister, Axel, alice, Julie,

          Wow! Thank you all for your very helpful replies. Mysql, php, and blogs are
          all new to me. I'll be playing with the WordPress offering for quite a while.
          If the Waterstone Journal is a typical example of what can be done, it surely
          will be worth the effort.

          Thanks again,

          Ray Shapp
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
            Ray Shapp wrote:
            > Don, sister, Axel, alice, Julie,
            >
            > Wow! Thank you all for your very helpful replies. Mysql, php, and blogs are
            > all new to me. I'll be playing with the WordPress offering for quite a while.
            > If the Waterstone Journal is a typical example of what can be done, it surely
            > will be worth the effort.
            >
            > Thanks again,
            >
            > Ray Shapp
            And Ray,

            The content and the display are entirely divorced from each other so you
            can change the look with a click of a button and the same content
            presents. See: http://themes.wordpress.net/

            And then you can customize one or make your own too ...

            Possibilities are endless. Almost as good as notetab and probably my
            second or third most used thing (notetab clearly #1)

            Don
          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
              --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

              > See: http://themes.wordpress.net/
              >
              > And then you can customize one or make your own too ...
              >
              > Possibilities are endless.

              Checking out available themes is a good suggestion and the best way to
              start. While it is possible to customize a theme like I did for
              Waterstone, doing so requires skills that you would have to develop.
              Let me tell you . . . when I put that together, there was a lot of
              gnashing of teeth and unrepeatable phrases muttered under my breath!!

              Let us know how it goes for you.

              http://sims.yahoo.com/
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
                sisterscape wrote:
                > The DB shifts things around accordingly and keeps track of cross-
                > references etc. Doing this in straight HTML would be pure torture!

                I'll admit there is something in that. Though for all here facing
                similar problems in straight HTML may I remind you of the basic W3C
                article:

                "Cool URIs don't change": http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

                Basically if you name and place files for what they are rather than for
                what you're using them for at the moment, you can completely rearrange
                your pages without having to move stuff. Many companies and other big
                organisations rubbish all your bookmarks every couple of months or so as
                a matter if course. On my own site I provide forwarding files and even a
                server redirect for those who might have bookmarked an ill-chosen
                earlier arrangement of things.

                Axel
              • alice ttlg
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 30, 2007
                  On 9/30/07, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                  > I'll admit there is something in that. Though for all here facing
                  > similar problems in straight HTML may I remind you of the basic W3C
                  > article:
                  >
                  > "Cool URIs don't change": http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

                  Actually, that's exactly what MovableType (similar to WordPress) does
                  - it can do the same date type archive structure that they espouse in
                  that article. I think that WordPress can too, it's something you
                  chose when you set up either program. MT can also archive by category
                  which can be more useful depending on the type of site and it can also
                  do both types of archives at the same time, category and date
                  structure - iirc WP can also do that.

                  So CMS can be very useful for creating good, long-lasting URIs and
                  it's all created on the fly as you add new articles or new categories,
                  as time changes and a new month or new year rolls around, the CMS
                  automatically creates the necessary folders to store the addiitional
                  new content.

                  --
                  alice ttlg

                  Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
                  http://www.populli.org/
                  Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
                  http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
                • Hugo Paulissen
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 30, 2007
                    >Basically if you name and place files for what they are rather than for
                    >what you're using them for at the moment, you can completely rearrange
                    >your pages without having to move stuff. Many companies and other big
                    >organisations rubbish all your bookmarks every couple of months or so as
                    >a matter if course. On my own site I provide forwarding files and even a
                    >server redirect for those who might have bookmarked an ill-chosen
                    >earlier arrangement of things.

                    Hi Axel,

                    That's where tags, categories and archives come into play: good
                    blogsoftware organizes your entries according to your own specification,
                    with paths and URLs completely to your own liking.

                    I've been using Movable Type for a couple of years, not to write a blog
                    for my own, but in order to provide students to maintain their own blog.
                    At the time of selection MT was the most flexible solution, and one
                    license/installation was capable of running multiple blogs with multiple
                    authors. That may have changed, I do not follow the market anymore,
                    since I'm not involved in that task anymore.

                    Anyhow: MT was great, because it allowed the unskilled to create webpages
                    (and upload documents) easily, whereas the skilled still were able to customize
                    templates, css, page-arrangements etc.

                    I never regretted my choice.

                    Hugo

                    BTW: I have used MT to create a regular website - this allowed other people
                    to maintain the site without extensive training. This worked out very well.