Re: [NTO] Add Blog To Website

  • alice ttlg
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
      On 9/29/07, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:
      > sisterscape wrote:
      > > if you just want to
      > > post information, you can turn off the ability for viewers to leave
      > > comments which solves the spam problem.
      >
      > What then is the difference between this overblown blog and a normal
      > page on a normal website?

      From a visitor's standpoint, with no commenting facility, there is no
      difference. From the blogger/website author's viewpoint, using
      blogging software makes it much easier to update the webpage
      freqently.

      Blogging software is also called content management software or CMS
      because it's not just for journaling type sites, it can be used for
      all sorts of websites for ease of updating without any particular html
      coding knowledge.

      I use blogging software or CMS for my resume and for a FAQ site on an
      archive I maintain, it makes it simply to update, revise, add new
      stuff and I can focus on the text I'm adding rather than making sure
      I'm coding it all the same as previous entries. I also use it for a
      links blog and to maintain a personal links sidebar in my browser
      which I update quite freqently. Visitors see static webpages but I
      gain time and accuracy in keeping the various websites fresh.

      --
      alice ttlg

      Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
      http://www.populli.org/
      Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
      http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
        Axel Berger wrote:
        > sisterscape wrote:
        >> if you just want to
        >> post information, you can turn off the ability for viewers to leave
        >> comments which solves the spam problem.
        >
        > What then is the difference between this overblown blog and a normal
        > page on a normal website? I don't get all that Web 2.0 malarky at all,
        > seems to be nothing but hot air and silliness to me. The first sentence
        > is a genuine question by the way, and I would be interested in the
        > answer if there is one.
        >
        > Axel

        The difference is that it is a content management system and you can
        add/delete content at will free of most html concerns. It will build
        your directories on the fly, keep things in a searchable data base, etc.
      • Julie
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
          I swear by WordPress but it's the only CMS I've used. :-) Been using
          it for 1.5 years now on a fansite I co-admin, with plug-ins to
          prevent spam and the only comments that sneak through to be moderated
          are the real ones. The two other gals that post to this 'news' page
          have no knowledge of HTML and find it very easy to use. Dreamhost
          makes the upgrades extremely easy too.

          Julie
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
            Julie wrote:
            > I swear by WordPress but it's the only CMS I've used. :-) Been using
            > it for 1.5 years now on a fansite I co-admin, with plug-ins to
            > prevent spam and the only comments that sneak through to be moderated
            > are the real ones. The two other gals that post to this 'news' page
            > have no knowledge of HTML and find it very easy to use. Dreamhost
            > makes the upgrades extremely easy too.
            >
            > Julie

            I host/provide hosting for a number of WordPress Blogs/CMS's for
            clients, as well as a number of my own. They really work well. I have
            also have experience with three other similar programs, but WP is the
            best and better with every release. Multiple authors and contributors,
            another reason. RSS feeds ... now there is a huge plus vs regular web
            pages. Look that up! Subscribers know of additions almost immediately.
          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
              --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

              > The difference is that it is a content management system and you can
              > add/delete content at will free of most html concerns. It will build
              >
              > your directories on the fly, keep things in a searchable data base,
              > etc.

              Several of you beat me to the answer. I use WP to present journal
              entries for a wildlife management site which is updated every year.
              You can see it here:

              http://www.waterstonewildlife.org/journal/

              The DB shifts things around accordingly and keeps track of
              cross-references etc. Doing this in straight HTML would be pure torture!

              that gives answers, not web links.
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
                Don, sister, Axel, alice, Julie,

                Wow! Thank you all for your very helpful replies. Mysql, php, and blogs are
                all new to me. I'll be playing with the WordPress offering for quite a while.
                If the Waterstone Journal is a typical example of what can be done, it surely
                will be worth the effort.

                Thanks again,

                Ray Shapp
              • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
                  Ray Shapp wrote:
                  > Don, sister, Axel, alice, Julie,
                  >
                  > Wow! Thank you all for your very helpful replies. Mysql, php, and blogs are
                  > all new to me. I'll be playing with the WordPress offering for quite a while.
                  > If the Waterstone Journal is a typical example of what can be done, it surely
                  > will be worth the effort.
                  >
                  > Thanks again,
                  >
                  > Ray Shapp
                  And Ray,

                  The content and the display are entirely divorced from each other so you
                  can change the look with a click of a button and the same content
                  presents. See: http://themes.wordpress.net/

                  And then you can customize one or make your own too ...

                  Possibilities are endless. Almost as good as notetab and probably my
                  second or third most used thing (notetab clearly #1)

                  Don
                • sisterscape
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
                    --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

                    > See: http://themes.wordpress.net/
                    >
                    > And then you can customize one or make your own too ...
                    >
                    > Possibilities are endless.

                    Checking out available themes is a good suggestion and the best way to
                    start. While it is possible to customize a theme like I did for
                    Waterstone, doing so requires skills that you would have to develop.
                    Let me tell you . . . when I put that together, there was a lot of
                    gnashing of teeth and unrepeatable phrases muttered under my breath!!

                    Let us know how it goes for you.

                    http://sims.yahoo.com/
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
                      sisterscape wrote:
                      > The DB shifts things around accordingly and keeps track of cross-
                      > references etc. Doing this in straight HTML would be pure torture!

                      I'll admit there is something in that. Though for all here facing
                      similar problems in straight HTML may I remind you of the basic W3C
                      article:

                      "Cool URIs don't change": http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

                      Basically if you name and place files for what they are rather than for
                      what you're using them for at the moment, you can completely rearrange
                      your pages without having to move stuff. Many companies and other big
                      organisations rubbish all your bookmarks every couple of months or so as
                      a matter if course. On my own site I provide forwarding files and even a
                      server redirect for those who might have bookmarked an ill-chosen
                      earlier arrangement of things.

                      Axel
                    • alice ttlg
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 30, 2007
                        On 9/30/07, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                        > I'll admit there is something in that. Though for all here facing
                        > similar problems in straight HTML may I remind you of the basic W3C
                        > article:
                        >
                        > "Cool URIs don't change": http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

                        Actually, that's exactly what MovableType (similar to WordPress) does
                        - it can do the same date type archive structure that they espouse in
                        that article. I think that WordPress can too, it's something you
                        chose when you set up either program. MT can also archive by category
                        which can be more useful depending on the type of site and it can also
                        do both types of archives at the same time, category and date
                        structure - iirc WP can also do that.

                        So CMS can be very useful for creating good, long-lasting URIs and
                        it's all created on the fly as you add new articles or new categories,
                        as time changes and a new month or new year rolls around, the CMS
                        automatically creates the necessary folders to store the addiitional
                        new content.

                        --
                        alice ttlg

                        Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
                        http://www.populli.org/
                        Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
                        http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
                      • Hugo Paulissen
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 30, 2007
                          >Basically if you name and place files for what they are rather than for
                          >what you're using them for at the moment, you can completely rearrange
                          >your pages without having to move stuff. Many companies and other big
                          >organisations rubbish all your bookmarks every couple of months or so as
                          >a matter if course. On my own site I provide forwarding files and even a
                          >server redirect for those who might have bookmarked an ill-chosen
                          >earlier arrangement of things.

                          Hi Axel,

                          That's where tags, categories and archives come into play: good
                          blogsoftware organizes your entries according to your own specification,
                          with paths and URLs completely to your own liking.

                          I've been using Movable Type for a couple of years, not to write a blog
                          for my own, but in order to provide students to maintain their own blog.
                          At the time of selection MT was the most flexible solution, and one
                          license/installation was capable of running multiple blogs with multiple
                          authors. That may have changed, I do not follow the market anymore,
                          since I'm not involved in that task anymore.

                          Anyhow: MT was great, because it allowed the unskilled to create webpages
                          (and upload documents) easily, whereas the skilled still were able to customize
                          templates, css, page-arrangements etc.

                          I never regretted my choice.

                          Hugo

                          BTW: I have used MT to create a regular website - this allowed other people
                          to maintain the site without extensive training. This worked out very well.