Re: [NTO] Add Blog To Website

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      > Hi Folks,
      >
      > Please point me to a place where I can learn about adding a blog to my
      > website. Is this something an ISP must enable or is it implemented by some
      > kind of script on the web page? What prevents robotic attacks in which many
      > megabytes of spam are posted? I'm new to the world of blogging. All advice
      > (even very basic items) is appreciated.
      >
      > Thank you
      >
      > Ray Shapp

      Assuming you have mysql database available and php, check out wordpress
      at wordpress.org. Also if you want to you can do a blog on their site
      at wordpress.com. They have improved the tightness of them to avoid
      spam. I use two plug-ins, bad behavior and spamkarma2 and they knock
      down almost all spam before it gets going.
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
        Yes, Wordpress is great!. Another option . . . if you just want to
        post information, you can turn off the ability for viewers to leave
        comments which solves the spam problem. Might take some of the fun out
        of it for you though . . .

        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
          sisterscape wrote:
          > if you just want to
          > post information, you can turn off the ability for viewers to leave
          > comments which solves the spam problem.

          What then is the difference between this overblown blog and a normal
          page on a normal website? I don't get all that Web 2.0 malarky at all,
          seems to be nothing but hot air and silliness to me. The first sentence
          is a genuine question by the way, and I would be interested in the
          answer if there is one.

          Axel
        • alice ttlg
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
            On 9/29/07, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:
            > sisterscape wrote:
            > > if you just want to
            > > post information, you can turn off the ability for viewers to leave
            > > comments which solves the spam problem.
            >
            > What then is the difference between this overblown blog and a normal
            > page on a normal website?

            From a visitor's standpoint, with no commenting facility, there is no
            difference. From the blogger/website author's viewpoint, using
            blogging software makes it much easier to update the webpage
            freqently.

            Blogging software is also called content management software or CMS
            because it's not just for journaling type sites, it can be used for
            all sorts of websites for ease of updating without any particular html
            coding knowledge.

            I use blogging software or CMS for my resume and for a FAQ site on an
            archive I maintain, it makes it simply to update, revise, add new
            stuff and I can focus on the text I'm adding rather than making sure
            I'm coding it all the same as previous entries. I also use it for a
            links blog and to maintain a personal links sidebar in my browser
            which I update quite freqently. Visitors see static webpages but I
            gain time and accuracy in keeping the various websites fresh.

            --
            alice ttlg

            Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
            http://www.populli.org/
            Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
            http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
              Axel Berger wrote:
              > sisterscape wrote:
              >> if you just want to
              >> post information, you can turn off the ability for viewers to leave
              >> comments which solves the spam problem.
              >
              > What then is the difference between this overblown blog and a normal
              > page on a normal website? I don't get all that Web 2.0 malarky at all,
              > seems to be nothing but hot air and silliness to me. The first sentence
              > is a genuine question by the way, and I would be interested in the
              > answer if there is one.
              >
              > Axel

              The difference is that it is a content management system and you can
              add/delete content at will free of most html concerns. It will build
              your directories on the fly, keep things in a searchable data base, etc.
            • Julie
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
                I swear by WordPress but it's the only CMS I've used. :-) Been using
                it for 1.5 years now on a fansite I co-admin, with plug-ins to
                prevent spam and the only comments that sneak through to be moderated
                are the real ones. The two other gals that post to this 'news' page
                have no knowledge of HTML and find it very easy to use. Dreamhost
                makes the upgrades extremely easy too.

                Julie
              • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
                  Julie wrote:
                  > I swear by WordPress but it's the only CMS I've used. :-) Been using
                  > it for 1.5 years now on a fansite I co-admin, with plug-ins to
                  > prevent spam and the only comments that sneak through to be moderated
                  > are the real ones. The two other gals that post to this 'news' page
                  > have no knowledge of HTML and find it very easy to use. Dreamhost
                  > makes the upgrades extremely easy too.
                  >
                  > Julie

                  I host/provide hosting for a number of WordPress Blogs/CMS's for
                  clients, as well as a number of my own. They really work well. I have
                  also have experience with three other similar programs, but WP is the
                  best and better with every release. Multiple authors and contributors,
                  another reason. RSS feeds ... now there is a huge plus vs regular web
                  pages. Look that up! Subscribers know of additions almost immediately.
                • sisterscape
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
                    --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

                    > The difference is that it is a content management system and you can
                    > add/delete content at will free of most html concerns. It will build
                    >
                    > your directories on the fly, keep things in a searchable data base,
                    > etc.

                    Several of you beat me to the answer. I use WP to present journal
                    entries for a wildlife management site which is updated every year.
                    You can see it here:

                    http://www.waterstonewildlife.org/journal/

                    The DB shifts things around accordingly and keeps track of
                    cross-references etc. Doing this in straight HTML would be pure torture!

                    that gives answers, not web links.
                  • Ray Shapp
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
                      Don, sister, Axel, alice, Julie,

                      Wow! Thank you all for your very helpful replies. Mysql, php, and blogs are
                      all new to me. I'll be playing with the WordPress offering for quite a while.
                      If the Waterstone Journal is a typical example of what can be done, it surely
                      will be worth the effort.

                      Thanks again,

                      Ray Shapp
                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
                        Ray Shapp wrote:
                        > Don, sister, Axel, alice, Julie,
                        >
                        > Wow! Thank you all for your very helpful replies. Mysql, php, and blogs are
                        > all new to me. I'll be playing with the WordPress offering for quite a while.
                        > If the Waterstone Journal is a typical example of what can be done, it surely
                        > will be worth the effort.
                        >
                        > Thanks again,
                        >
                        > Ray Shapp
                        And Ray,

                        The content and the display are entirely divorced from each other so you
                        can change the look with a click of a button and the same content
                        presents. See: http://themes.wordpress.net/

                        And then you can customize one or make your own too ...

                        Possibilities are endless. Almost as good as notetab and probably my
                        second or third most used thing (notetab clearly #1)

                        Don
                      • sisterscape
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
                          --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

                          > See: http://themes.wordpress.net/
                          >
                          > And then you can customize one or make your own too ...
                          >
                          > Possibilities are endless.

                          Checking out available themes is a good suggestion and the best way to
                          start. While it is possible to customize a theme like I did for
                          Waterstone, doing so requires skills that you would have to develop.
                          Let me tell you . . . when I put that together, there was a lot of
                          gnashing of teeth and unrepeatable phrases muttered under my breath!!

                          Let us know how it goes for you.

                          http://sims.yahoo.com/
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 29, 2007
                            sisterscape wrote:
                            > The DB shifts things around accordingly and keeps track of cross-
                            > references etc. Doing this in straight HTML would be pure torture!

                            I'll admit there is something in that. Though for all here facing
                            similar problems in straight HTML may I remind you of the basic W3C
                            article:

                            "Cool URIs don't change": http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

                            Basically if you name and place files for what they are rather than for
                            what you're using them for at the moment, you can completely rearrange
                            your pages without having to move stuff. Many companies and other big
                            organisations rubbish all your bookmarks every couple of months or so as
                            a matter if course. On my own site I provide forwarding files and even a
                            server redirect for those who might have bookmarked an ill-chosen
                            earlier arrangement of things.

                            Axel
                          • alice ttlg
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 30, 2007
                              On 9/30/07, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                              > I'll admit there is something in that. Though for all here facing
                              > similar problems in straight HTML may I remind you of the basic W3C
                              > article:
                              >
                              > "Cool URIs don't change": http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

                              Actually, that's exactly what MovableType (similar to WordPress) does
                              - it can do the same date type archive structure that they espouse in
                              that article. I think that WordPress can too, it's something you
                              chose when you set up either program. MT can also archive by category
                              which can be more useful depending on the type of site and it can also
                              do both types of archives at the same time, category and date
                              structure - iirc WP can also do that.

                              So CMS can be very useful for creating good, long-lasting URIs and
                              it's all created on the fly as you add new articles or new categories,
                              as time changes and a new month or new year rolls around, the CMS
                              automatically creates the necessary folders to store the addiitional
                              new content.

                              --
                              alice ttlg

                              Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
                              http://www.populli.org/
                              Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
                              http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
                            • Hugo Paulissen
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 30, 2007
                                >Basically if you name and place files for what they are rather than for
                                >what you're using them for at the moment, you can completely rearrange
                                >your pages without having to move stuff. Many companies and other big
                                >organisations rubbish all your bookmarks every couple of months or so as
                                >a matter if course. On my own site I provide forwarding files and even a
                                >server redirect for those who might have bookmarked an ill-chosen
                                >earlier arrangement of things.

                                Hi Axel,

                                That's where tags, categories and archives come into play: good
                                blogsoftware organizes your entries according to your own specification,
                                with paths and URLs completely to your own liking.

                                I've been using Movable Type for a couple of years, not to write a blog
                                for my own, but in order to provide students to maintain their own blog.
                                At the time of selection MT was the most flexible solution, and one
                                license/installation was capable of running multiple blogs with multiple
                                authors. That may have changed, I do not follow the market anymore,
                                since I'm not involved in that task anymore.

                                Anyhow: MT was great, because it allowed the unskilled to create webpages
                                (and upload documents) easily, whereas the skilled still were able to customize
                                templates, css, page-arrangements etc.

                                I never regretted my choice.

                                Hugo

                                BTW: I have used MT to create a regular website - this allowed other people
                                to maintain the site without extensive training. This worked out very well.